Oil escaping! Motors whirring!

ziggyzack

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so thanks for any help you can offer up...

I bought my 2002 S3 2 years ago and left it unmodded until January. It's now had a jabbasport remap with peak boost at 1.5 bar, and gives about 280 bhp and I think 290 lb ft. 0-60 has been done in 5.8 (measured using mobile phone stopclock against speedo, a bit iffy...), causing my mate to sell his boxter, and I was f***ing loving it. But I've always been concerned about screwing the engine.

Two things aren't right. First, I'd got used to quite long intervals between oil checks (it wasn't using much) but in the last three months the level dropped well below the dipstick low mark. Very nearly empty. No warning lights, and the oil filler cap seemed to be on all right, but the area around the cap is stained with oil as if it's been spat out and dried off. Any ideas what's going on, and could it be related to upping the power output? I filled up the oil a couple of weeks ago and haven't driven hard since, I'll check the level again today.

Also, the morning after the remap, the car wouldn't start - flat battery. The RAC knew pretty well what it was - the auxiliarly water pump had come on after the drive home, probably for the first time ever (it's almost redundant apparently), but the timer hadn't kicked in to switch it back off, so it whirred around until the battery died. Faulty timers were common on early S3s according to the RAC. The pump is currently unplugged because it still won't switch off. Jabba say the ECU doesn't store that setting so it's nothing to do with them - my garage reckon the timer IS set by the ECU in recent models, so my suspicion is that the thing is staying on because the bit of the ECU that should tell it to turn off has been wiped.

It's all a bit complicated, this. I'm not having a go at jabbasport btw, they came highly recommended and knew their stuff, but I do believe it's possible Audi could change the workings of the ECU without any tuner really knowing. Any ideas???

Thanks v much,

ZZ

ziggyzack said:
the auxiliarly water pump had come on after the drive home, probably for the first time ever (it's almost redundant apparently),

mine comes on every time i shut off the engine.. or as least i think it does..

mine also comes on every time i stop the engine - it runs for about 5 minutes at least

Mine comes on even if I just turn the ignition on without even starting the engine and runs for around 10 minutes :)

As said above mine also comes on every time i start the car. With regards to the oil, my S3 can go through quite a bit between services, but as yours was ok before, i would question why it has suddenly changed. Can you see any leaks other than the filler cap as i doubt this would be responsible for losing oil if it is on correctly. Have you seen a noticeable change in the amount of smoke that the car gives out? Like i said previously S3 are notorious for using a lot of oil and audi even quote something stupid like 'it can use up to a litre of oil every 1000 miles without there being a problem???' If you cannot find any other reason for the drop in oil i would suggest getting it looked at.

Aaron

Are you sure it's the auxiliary water pump that's coming on, and not just the radiator fan? The pump's dead quiet... but at least all yours switch themselves off eventually. Oil level hasn't dropped in the two weeks since i filled her up, no smoke to mention or anything suspect apart from this dark circle around 10cms around the filler cap, but perhaps it's nothing. Let's see what the guys at jabba have to say...

definitely the aux water pump. You can hear it gurgelling (perhaps a little stong, but you can still hear it) in the cabin before you even get out of the car.

ziggyzack said:
Are you sure it's the auxiliary water pump that's coming on, and not just the radiator fan? The pump's dead quiet... but at least all yours switch themselves off eventually. Oil level hasn't dropped in the two weeks since i filled her up, no smoke to mention or anything suspect apart from this dark circle around 10cms around the filler cap, but perhaps it's nothing. Let's see what the guys at jabba have to say...

yep, mines deffo the aux water pump. Runs for about 10 mins after i switch off the ignition. I would suggest cleaning the oil marks around the filler cap and seeing if they re-appear, but as i said before i cant imagine this being the problem if the cap was on properly, besides if it had lost that much oil the mark would be bigger than a 10cm radius.

Aaron