Whistling

S3_MCD

Reaction score
Guys quick question .... hopefully easily answered!!

Whilst having my new engine etc fitted I opted for Samco hoses (TIP and IC).
I can definately tell the difference and even HEAR the air flow (sucking gushing sound on the RHS of the car when driving).

My question is that when I put the car under load I get an almost high pitched whoosh/whistling sound on top of the 'normal' air sound?!!?
Is this right? could it be a noise from the turbo (which is new!!)

TIA

Marcus

sounds ok to me, i get the air noise and the whistling on oem pipes, you can even hear it dumping into the airbox.

i had this before and you could also hear the dv redirecting the air on closed throttle - it turned out to be the point where the airbox connects into the wing where there was a rubber pipe loose, was driving me crazy for ages !

think ive figured it .... after having the engine replaced seems that the dealer didnt do up one of the pipe clips (OEM red) TIC hose which sits under the strut brace.

.... pity really, quite liked the air noise, dont suppose that it was doing the performance any good though!!

i get the gushing noise from my DV more often than not when the engine isnt warm.. Sounds excellent but after reading what you gents have said i'll have to check the pipes...

Dave

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you think you could make your avatar a little bigger i cant quite see it! lol.

:):):)

darko said:
i had this before and you could also hear the dv redirecting the air on closed throttle - it turned out to be the point where the airbox connects into the wing where there was a rubber pipe loose, was driving me crazy for ages !

Sorry to change the subject a litttle bit but does anyone know if you can remove the recirculating pipe from the DV and have it blow to atmosphere for a louder noise? Also would this have any effect on the performance of the car?

Aaron

amoani said:
Sorry to change the subject a litttle bit but does anyone know if you can remove the recirculating pipe from the DV and have it blow to atmosphere for a louder noise? Also would this have any effect on the performance of the car?

Aaron

Not a good idea, you'll confuse the ECU. Besides, it sounds a bit chavvy. A well sorted re-circ is way better.

amoani said:

Aaron
Yes you can, but it's not as simple as what you said.

You'll need a Bailey (or alternative) twin piston atmospheric DV and a DV relocation kit because it must be run from the cold side.

Advantage - you get the DV noise that we all know and most love (no problems with ECU/fault codes/check lights)
Disadvantage - the lag from the turbo spooling up again after each gear change is annoying!