oil consumption, valve guides or stem seals?

pumbaaa

Reaction score
Hi all, i have a 1997 1.8 8L AGN N/A for 6 years now and i love it. I always used the same oil and my engine never consumed a single drop of oil, even at oil change at 8k km, the oil was not even black, it was yellowish-golden.

A year ago my timing belt tensioner broke and valves stroke the pistons. I removed my head and gave it to a machine shop, they told me the head was ok, so they replaced all the valves and stem seals. Since then the engine consumes 1lt of oil every 1k km and at oil changes the oil comes out black color.

So i thought that maybe the valve guides or the stem seals were at fault. To confirm this, I bought a cheap compression tester and i got very good results with it, 205psi on all cylinders, so my bottom end seems to be in very good condition. The engine has 146k km and does not leak any oil from underneath.

So my question is how do i verify which parts are at fault, the guides or the seals, or ever both? I know i have to dismantle the head for proper diagnosis but i'm wondering if there is an easy way to find out.

Thanks in advance,
George