Checking Oil Levels / Consumption

mattyboy199

Reaction score
I want to keep an eye on the oil levels of my S3, now how is the best way to go about doing this ? Is it just a case of turning the engine off waiting for the oil to drop to the sump, remove wipe the stick reinstate remove & read ?

I jus want to be careful as a few months ago i needed to replace about a litre of oil & then only a month later another litre. It seems ok at the moment. Is oil comsumption affected by the way the car is driven ?

Any help, thanks !

Matt

My car goes through about a litre of oil for every 1000 miles,If you read your Audi handbook it says that is the normal consumption ,matters what grade you put in as well.......With Turbo Engine the Harder you drive this will increase the oil you will use

Cheers

well thats a relief i do around 1000 miles a month anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

1ltr every 1k miles is a helluva lot, that's 12 litres a year on average mileage!!!!
My old A3TS used to use 1 litre every 12k miles, a little more on my 2.8Quattro.
If you thrash the engine when cold this will eat up the oil.

My 1.6 A3 never used a drop between services, my 1.8T A4 uses a very small amount between 20K mile services and my 2.0TDI ate oil in comparison, perhaps 2.5L per 10K miles.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
1ltr every 1k miles is a helluva lot, that's 12 litres a year on average mileage!!!!
My old A3TS used to use 1 litre every 12k miles, a little more on my 2.8Quattro.
If you thrash the engine when cold this will eat up the oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it is allot of oil but got the engine checked out, it was fine ...........know what you mean on my 2.8 Q i hardly put anything in it .......In the hand book from Audi it says there can be a variant of a litre per 1K for my engine ........i know guys that own S2's and they expertment with different grades of oil to try lower level of usage(same engine)........