Haldex not working!!!! Pre-charge pump?????

Phil-s3

Reaction score
Hi, my 4wd isn't working on my s3, iv put it on vag com and no faults came up, iv inspected the connector on the back of the diff and it was full of what I assume is diff oil, from what iv read this means the seals on the precharge pump are kanackered, is this right?
cheers Phil

Sounds about right, plug it back in to vcds and do an output test on the pre charge pump though. That will confirm if its the pump or the haldex cont. Or maybe the brake light switch. Or maybe the diff earth strap. Haldex problems suck, I hate it, good luck

Okay I'll try that tomorrow, it did originally come up with a fault code for the brake light switch signally implausible or something like that but I erased it and it hasn't come back after 3 or 4 weeks of driving. I'll check the earth aswell. Thanks :)

When I found oil in the rear connector, I then found the pump to have a failed oil seal and broken motor, since swapping the pump out and checking the plug a few months afterwards, it's all dry in their now.
You can wiggle/pull the plastic piping of the rear of the pump to expose the wires, if the seals failed you'll probably find some oil around their too or will be able to smell burn't out motor.

I had it up on the ramp today and checked for a feed to the pump, which there was, I couldn't hear for feel the pump working. And it is wet inside that tube, does anyone have a pump that they are willing to part with for cash? Thanks for the reply :)

Their is someone selling re-manufactured ones on eBay at the moment, new motor and seals etc which is half the price of one from audi but still fairly expensive or they sell the new motor and seals a little cheaper on their own if your willing to strip and fix it yourself, which isn't hard.