Is my cam chain stretched?

S3ben

Reaction score
Hi the cam mark on the pulley is lined up with mark on head

I'm pretty sure that the 8L doesn't have a cam chain

Hi the cam mark on the pulley is lined up with mark on head

Not sure what you are asking dude... pics are a little dark to see properly...

Are you on about the timing marks on the cams etc?

20100909_IMAG0159.jpg

<tuffty/>

Looks to me like the exhaust cam is out. If the pulley is in time that would suggest the cam sprocket isnt pressed on right.
A stretched chain will only get taken up by the tensioner, so no effects as long as its timed correctly.

Yes it does... cam belt from crank to exhaust cam and cam to cam is a chain..

<tuffty/>

Ah OK

Well I'm a newbie at all this. I just thought some cars had a belt and some had a chain. Didn't realise that some can be mixed

So does this chain need to be replaced like the belt does? I'm guessing all chains should (probably not always like in the S4) last the life of the car?

Hi sorry for vague description ill get some better pics up tomorrow. I've taken the car to have the cambelt done twice now and it always comes back a tooth out. So I got fed up with garages and had a go myself not the first cambelt I've done. But this one seems a pain. Lol I line all timing marks up cam and flywheel. But when I go to put belt on to crank sprocket I have a sprocket tooth inline with the cambelt tooth??? Just thinking cam chain stretch could be the answer. I'm stripping it down on sat so ill take pics and

Just want to have fun I my s3 and this is stopping it all😫😫😫

Its dead easy for it to be a tooth out... you have to double check before pulling the pin...

At TDC the exhaust cam mark needs to line up as per my pic above...

The chains are pretty resilient and generally don't stretch to the extent that they throw a correlation fault code...

There is no need to touch the cam chain when doing a cam belt

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the advice all taken on board. Is the exhaust cam notch suppose to be in line with the arrow? Or slightly to the right of it?

Thanks for the advice all taken on board. Is the exhaust cam notch suppose to be in line with the arrow? Or slightly to the right of it?

In line... the inlet cam will vary depending on how compressed the cam chain tensioner is...

Have you removed the cam chain?

<tuffty/>

No I haven't dont know if someone in the past has?

It dose have a pattern part (china made) can sensor could this be a problem as not the best quality part? Just a though

When it's a tooth out towards intake mani I get incorrect correlation cam crank g40 g28. When a tooth out towards bulk head I get cam sensor short to ground. I also get epc light k132 malfunction. If I clear the epc it will stay off for 2-3 days?

I've checked voltage and ground on cam sensor ill pull ecu and check switch wire to ecu. It's just that its a tooth out but code changes when out either way. Is this possible??? Cam mark and flywheel marks don't line up

I'd check your cam to cam timing...

E28F7700 F6B7 47B6 A3E2 78CF1CA71A5F 2422 000003B3FDAFE28A zpsf4b58327

I have seen the short to ground thing before and pretty sure its due to cam to cam timing being out...

<tuffty/>

I've checked voltage and ground on cam sensor ill pull ecu and check switch wire to ecu. It's just that its a tooth out but code changes when out either way. Is this possible??? Cam mark and flywheel marks don't line up

actually scratch what I said... tuffty/marks reminded me of a car we had in which had this very codem which made no sense relative to the cause, which was cam to cam timing being wrong.

Thanks to you both ill strip it down tomorrow and check it out. Ill post pics if anyone could verify anything out of place. Once again thanks for all the help on this.