Fu*#&ng Car Alarm!!!!!

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Past few days since the hot weather my car has beep beeping on startup and literally all last night the cars alarm has been going off!!! Woke up to a non starting car due to a flat battery. Jumped it and it started straightaway and guess what its beeping non stop again now!!!!

Im going to try getting to the siren to disconnect it till i get a replacement, can anyone advise how to get to it.....i did try at 4am but didnt really get anywhere.

Thanks
Nilz

Nilz, you need a good couple of hours mate, rear seats and quarter panels out basically! I'd help you out, but working next few days, might as well order new siren or replacement battery first dude.

All sorted for the time being, at least the neighbours will be happy.

Thanks for the offer as well Jo :)

Car battery keeps dying now, so will have to give it a good run tomorrow and hope that brings it back to life.

Where is the best place for a new siren as mines desd and need one.

You could try your friendly TPS as well if they will still serve you.

My battery was totally dead on the car again this morning, hwoever ive been for a run on the motorway this morning, so im hoping that would have got it back into life.

If this hasnt helped, whats the best thing to do?

So I went to start the car again this morning and it was dead again!!

Had a run on the motorway yesterday and thought that did the trick, but obviously not, im hoping it will start later so that I can get home from work tonight and am going to try and put it on charge overnight, hopefully that should sort it shouldnt it??

May need a new battery then, hopefully your alternator is working correctly too.

Nilz have you still got the original battery as it maybe on its way out like mine was, it was only a 480mA and the new one I bought was 750, its made a world of difference

I havent got the original battery, i cant even remember where that is now!!

The one I have is from TPS and is less than 2 years old, so could be a warranty issue, i believe the alternator is ok too, I just dont get how the drain could be that bad on it and why its not holding the charge.

Im going to try a trickle charge on it tonite hopefully if i can and will aim to give it about 12 hours if possible, otherwise may just end up getting another battery and go from there if i have to!!

You not having much luck bro! Hope you get it all sorted soon.

I left the car trickle charging all night and it started ok this morning, so im hoping its ok now.....fingers crossed :)

When/after you get out the car, before you shut the drivers door there's a small and randomly placed square button on side of the plastic trim towards the bottom of the b-pillar. Press it for a second or so until the little light in the button comes on. Then lock it and your alarm won't go off cos you'll have disabled the interior motion sensors that seem to be easily triggered by the heat

Removing the alarm siren will on stop the beeping but the hazards will still flash if the alarm is triggered. Could this be what's draining your battery?

I had to fit a new alternator on Wednesday as mine was too tired to charge the battery. It had enough juice to run the car once started it just wasn't able to charge the battery too.

Lukozade its not the interior sensors thats causing the prob its the siren and battery leak thats causing theissue.

Westy, im pretty sure the alarm wasnt actually being triggered it was just the siren being shorted coz of the battery leak. Sine the siren has been disconnected the hazards are not going off, i have tested the alarm and it is still triggered but without the siren. i got a new battery yesterday so lets see how that goes as its been fitted but wont be driven for a day or two, so if it starts it should be ok.....im hoping!!!

Ok so got back after a weekend away and went to open the car and it was totally dead again. Can anyne confirm if disconnecting the siren still cause it to be triggered somehow?? Ive checked the whole car and cant see where the drain is coming from and need to get this sorted asap. I disabled the interior sensors and it still drained after a little while.

Thanks.
Nilz

I havent done a drain test as dont have a multimeter....which fuse is for the alarm,ive had a look but cant see one there.

Lol....come over if ure free mate....its not like i can go anywhere!!!

Lees going to pop over tomorrow and do a leak test,in the mean time which fuse for the alarm....any ideas??

Hi Nilz, we spoke today.

The alarm does not have a fuse - to safeguard the car security! The alarm siren has a printed circuit board inside along with a pack of Ni-MH rechargeable batteries.
I think the batteries have leaked onto the circuit board, shorting it out, causing a continual current, activating the alarm and draining the battery. Come over to mine tomorrow, buy the siren I have which works. I also have a multimeter, plus that ECU. PM or text me for address! Alistair
2013 07 29 414912013 07 29 41511

Reactions: jojo and Nilz
Thanks Westy!! Lol....I had a look on the fuse cover and didn't see anything on there....but as Al said it doesn't look like its fused for security reasons.

Thanks mate, disconnected the negative overnight as per Lees instructions and reconnected it this morning and the car started straightaway luckily as I took it out for a spin yesterday and gave it some charge after jump starting it.

Lee is coming over later after work, so we will see if we can get to the source of the drain. Im hoping to get a replacement siren and fit that too, as im hoping it is just that and that should sort it.

I have read on a few forums especially the TT ones and alot of people have had battery drain issues that have been caused by the alarm siren being faulty.

Will keep you posted and thanks for everyones help so far.

Nilz

So after further investigation it looks like I have a 3.5amp drain from somewhere on the car!!! Me and Lee spent a good couple of hours drain testing and couldn't for the life of us find where the source is. We checked all the fuses and relays and the drain remained....even reconnected and disconnected the siren, all the interior lights, light clusters, stereo and no change.

Any ideas anyone as to where this could be coming from??

Oh and Lee a huge thanks to you for coming and spending the time to try and find the issue.

Cheers
Nilz

Is there a fuse for that Jo?

Also I've noticed that when I lock the car previous to my issues, the led on my door would flash straightaway rapidly then slow down after a minute, now when locking the car, it's blank for about 10 seconds then flashes rapidly and then slows down....could this mean there is an open circuit somewhere?? I'm thinking it could be the bonnet switch as there is no indicator for that is there?

3.5amps is crazy!

I'm sure there will be a fuse for the after run pump but you could just try unplugging it as it's easier to get to then faffing with fuses. You could also do with some VCDS investigation to see if you have any "open circuit" errors. You can also test door/bonnet/and boot locks with VCDS but your alarm won't arm at all if they're not all shut!

So after further investigation it looks like I have a 3.5amp drain from somewhere on the car!!! Me and Lee spent a good couple of hours drain testing and couldn't for the life of us find where the source is. We checked all the fuses and relays and the drain remained....even reconnected and disconnected the siren, all the interior lights, light clusters, stereo and no change.

Any ideas anyone as to where this could be coming from??

Oh and Lee a huge thanks to you for coming and spending the time to try and find the issue.

Cheers
Nilz

No problem mate it's a massive drain but a strange one as no fuses or relays changed it I think we un plugged every module / component in the boot as well and still nothing very strange

Yea im pretty sure we did and that seemed to be ok too, didnt seem to drop.

Checked all the fuses on top of the battery as well and that was ok, going to check the alternator tonight and see if the live off that is causing the prob due to an internal alternator fault.

On a side note the alarm worked ok too, as in it beeped and armed straightaway, but then after a bit, it went again!!

Looks like that defo needs sorting as well, so thats on the list of things to do as well.

OK so a further update, checked the wires on top of the battery again and there is a black cable there for the alternator, we put an amp clamp on it and it showed 3.5 as soon as we disconnected it dropped down to 0, so we have determined its the alternator thats causing the prob.

With the car off, we checked the voltage of the battery and it showed 12.5v, but when the car was on, it only showed 13.2 which indicated that the alternator was faulty as it wasnt fully charging.

I have the car in today to get it off and have it replaced, so im hoping it should be sorted this weekend.

My alarm still needs to be sorted, so ill be doing that next week as well if i can.

Further updates to follow and thanks to everyone that has helped so far....its much appreciated :)

OK so a further update, checked the wires on top of the battery again and there is a black cable there for the alternator, we put an amp clamp on it and it showed 3.5 as soon as we disconnected it dropped down to 0, so we have determined its the alternator thats causing the prob.

With the car off, we checked the voltage of the battery and it showed 12.5v, but when the car was on, it only showed 13.2 which indicated that the alternator was faulty as it wasnt fully charging.

I have the car in today to get it off and have it replaced, so im hoping it should be sorted this weekend.

My alarm still needs to be sorted, so ill be doing that next week as well if i can.

Further updates to follow and thanks to everyone that has helped so far....its much appreciated :)

Exactly the same issue as I was having last week with mine! New alternator sorted it right out.