Airbag fault please help

GlennP83

Reaction score
I recently went for the Irish version of the mot and failed on an airbag fault :(
00589 -airbag igniter; Passenger side (N131)
32-10 Resistance too high - Intermittent
This is what the vagcom said is the fault,can anyone tell me how to fix this?
Will I need to replace the passenger side airbag?
Any help will be greatly appreciated,thanks for looking

it could be as easy as cleaning the plug and pluging in
or comon fault the plug needs cuting off and wireing up
not the floor pulg the plug on the under side of the seat

00589 - Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N131) [h=3]00589 - Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N131): Resistance too High[/h][h=3]00589 - Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N131): Resistance too Low[/h][h=3]00589 - Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N131): Upper Limit Exceeded[/h][h=3]00589 - Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N131): Lower Limit Exceeded[/h][h=3]00589 - Airbag Igniter; Driver side (N131): Short to positive[/h][h=3]00589 - Airbag Igniter; Driver side (N131): Short to ground[/h][h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Airbag Warning Light active
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Wiring from/to Airbag Igniter Passenger Side (N131) faulty
  • Airbag Igniter Passenger Side (N131) faulty
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
  • Check Wiring from/to Airbag Igniter Passenger Side (N131)
  • Check Airbag Igniter Passenger Side (N131)
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • When "Short to positive" or "Short to ground" is found, DO NOT CLEAR THE DTC. This can cause the airbag to deploy. See repair manual for more information.

Ok ill have a look at the connections to the airbag today,Should I disconnect the battery before checking the wires?
Ive never had airbags in a car before so please excuse the silly questions :)

Common issue on all VAGs, I've never disconnected the battery personally, but it's recommended you do, just make sure there's no keys in the ignition. Unplug e connector under the seat, spray with WD40, then plug and unplug a few times. once you've done that, you need VAGCOM/VCDS to reset the airbag light, if the light doesn't go out, then there maybe a different issue.

The airbag light doesn't come on at all man,would this mean a different fault? Possibly ignitor fecked?

the bag light should be on with that code

someone might have had the fault before you bought it and coverer the bag light

does it come on for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on ?

It's between the engine and abs lights. I can email a pic to you if you want.

This happened to mine but in 2004, the owner at that time had the airbag ecu replaced, cost him almost £500!!!

I have a '09 Jetta and 00589 code comes up. Mine is Short to Ground fault. I replaced the airbag and the module and the code still comes us. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

I have a '09 Jetta and 00589 code comes up. Mine is Short to Ground fault. I replaced the airbag and the module and the code still comes us. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

Other than this being an Audi forum (granted jetta is basically a Golf/A3 but...) this section only covers the chassis up to 2003... your 09 Jetta is more an 8P so you would be better of asking in there...

<tuffty/>