tapping noise

dgannon69

Reaction score
hi guys, over the past few days when i've been starting the car from cold in the morning and theres been a slight tapping, knocking noise coming from the engine. anybody got any ideas wat this may be? i guessed it could just be the hydralic tappits as the oil hadnt circulated to them. its not a loud noise but it doesn't sound normal. as its only started in the cold weather i'm just hoping its nothing serious.

i also had to top up the coolant today because it fell below the minimum and flashed the warning light on the dash. are there any particular areas i should be checking for coolant leaks? there haven't been any patches underneath the car from a leak so where could it be going?

thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
Dave

Could possibly your head gasket is gone. Check the underside of the oilcap for white mayo-type looking stuff. The same thing happened me a couple of weeks ago and it was that the gasket was gone but the water was leaking into a cyclinder, and that went on to a hot turbo causing it to crack badly resulting in a new one to be fitted. It would be tappy for the first minute or so then it would run fine. Get it looked at asap.

ok mate thanks for that. i hope to god its not as i can imagine it would cost lots and lots!! i checked under the oil cap and there was nothing there that showed signs of a leak like that. the one other thing i noticed is if u rev it up to about 3K wen cold and let the revs drop u get a rattling noise then?? any more info from people would be much appreciated...

Dave