esp light then engine management ??? :S

finny

Reaction score
had the car out today for about 70 mile run...had the esp off and everything was ok then the car decided to cut out so restarted it and this happened on and off for few minutes! then esp light stayed on even when i tried to turn it off. so drove home everything was ok until i restarted the car again and now have the engine management light on...anyone guess what is wrong please? its an 03 bam s3 by the way with minor mods

Have you done a vcds scan for any possible fault codes?

not yet im doing that tomorrow as i dont have a scanner to hand im just very inpatient lol
Fair enough. If you dont have your own vcds cable, check out the vcds map for users near you. Hope you get it sorted out soon. :) x

Reactions: phil miller and Sandra
ok ok where did you two buy these crystal balls lol? no on a serious note:

17939 camshaft adjustment open circuit?

16717 knock sensor signal too high

16712 same again knock sensor

16486 mass air flow signal too low

please dont tell me my car is dying?

also showed up brake ligh switch which could be fault with esp?

excuse my ignorance but im no good at all when it comes to all this...ive cleared them yeah but the light has just came back on due to MAF which il replace next week but as for the others i dont have a clue?

ok ok where did you two buy these crystal balls lol?

I am THAT good :)

17939 camshaft adjustment open circuit?
17939/P1531/005425 - Ross-Tech Wiki
VVT is either unplugged or there is a break in the wiring... check that the VVT tensioner is plugged in...

16717 knock sensor signal too high
16717/P0333/000819 - Ross-Tech Wiki

I have had this with sensor 1 before and I fixed mine be rewiring to the ECU...

16712 same again knock sensor
16712/P0328/000808 - Ross-Tech Wiki
Not the same knock sensor... this is sensor 1, the previous code is sensor 2...

16486 mass air flow signal too low
16486/P0102/000258 - Ross-Tech Wiki

MAF sensor... normally associated with a duff sensor... worth getting a new (Bosch/genuine) one if you don't know the history of the one on there currently...

also showed up brake ligh switch which could be fault with esp?

implausible signal? code would help... normally a dodgy switch...

Considering the sensor codes, it could be also related to a bad earth or other dodgy wiring... there is a collection of earths under the battery tray that get corroded... worth checking there... also check the loom where there injectors etc all cumulate... this could reveal damage to the loom (can happen if for example some ham fisted lout fitted a clutch and trapped the wires or something)

<tuffty/>