JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    lovemelongtime's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    335

    Question 8 and 9j tyre size

    Hi all,

    I currently have 225/40/18 on the current 8j's on the fronts and dont really want the stretched look on the rears to match, I like having solid tyre walls.....

    Could anyone recommend a tyre size what would match the fronts on 9j's please?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Wind Deflector Trend-setter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    389
    245/40/18.

    HTH
    2000 Plate Audi S3 1.8T Santorin Blue - 261.0BHP - 255.1LB/FT on Custom Parsons Performance remap, Forge 007p DV, Red DogBush, Milltek non-res, Lowered 35mm Apex springs, Badger5 TIP/cone filter/heat shield, Powerflex'd, Large FMIC, Relentless Downpipe, Parsons Decat and lots of love.
    On gearbox number 4.
    Further modification to come..

  4. #3
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Routledge View Post
    245/40/18.

    HTH
    255/35/18 is nearer 225/40/18 for rolling radius.



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  5. #4
    lovemelongtime's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Routledge View Post
    245/40/18.

    HTH
    Cheers fella,

    So thats

    225/40/18 Fronts
    245/40/18 Rears

    Funny enough I was looking at a tyre size calculator at 235/40/18 for the rears, do you think there will be stretch?

  6. #5
    Wind Deflector Trend-setter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    255/35/18 is nearer 225/40/18 for rolling radius.
    True, but he said he wanted something that matched the fronts so I figured he'd want the same. :P They're wider not bigger diameter.
    2000 Plate Audi S3 1.8T Santorin Blue - 261.0BHP - 255.1LB/FT on Custom Parsons Performance remap, Forge 007p DV, Red DogBush, Milltek non-res, Lowered 35mm Apex springs, Badger5 TIP/cone filter/heat shield, Powerflex'd, Large FMIC, Relentless Downpipe, Parsons Decat and lots of love.
    On gearbox number 4.
    Further modification to come..

  7. #6
    Wind Deflector Trend-setter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemelongtime View Post
    Cheers fella,

    So thats

    225/40/18 Fronts
    245/40/18 Rears

    Funny enough I was looking at a tyre size calculator at 235/40/18 for the rears, do you think there will be stretch?
    A little by comparison to the fronts, but it won't be mental.. Like my 225/40 on 9.5J
    2000 Plate Audi S3 1.8T Santorin Blue - 261.0BHP - 255.1LB/FT on Custom Parsons Performance remap, Forge 007p DV, Red DogBush, Milltek non-res, Lowered 35mm Apex springs, Badger5 TIP/cone filter/heat shield, Powerflex'd, Large FMIC, Relentless Downpipe, Parsons Decat and lots of love.
    On gearbox number 4.
    Further modification to come..

  8. #7
    BENJAMIN's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    472
    Very important to get the rolling radius front and rear close as possible. Get it wrong and the ESP throws a fit and the haldex clutches eat themselves.

    Routledge, profile is a percentage of the width so 245/40 has larger radius than 225/40.
    '09 Lci 335d individual. M-dev stage 2, 360bhp 550ftlb. 'Undercover police edition'

  9. #8
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,613
    Quote Originally Posted by BENJAMIN View Post
    Very important to get the rolling radius front and rear close as possible. Get it wrong and the ESP throws a fit and the haldex clutches eat themselves.

    Routledge, profile is a percentage of the width so 245/40 has larger radius than 225/40.
    Thanks you.



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  10. #9
    Wind Deflector Trend-setter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    389
    Whoops, I thought it was a percentage of overall diameter. So, what you're saying is that me running 225/40/18 all round with staggered fitment wheels 8.5 and 9.5 will mean my ESP will go mental and cost me loads?

    I've not noticed any change :/
    2000 Plate Audi S3 1.8T Santorin Blue - 261.0BHP - 255.1LB/FT on Custom Parsons Performance remap, Forge 007p DV, Red DogBush, Milltek non-res, Lowered 35mm Apex springs, Badger5 TIP/cone filter/heat shield, Powerflex'd, Large FMIC, Relentless Downpipe, Parsons Decat and lots of love.
    On gearbox number 4.
    Further modification to come..

  11. #10
    BENJAMIN's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Routledge View Post
    Whoops, I thought it was a percentage of overall diameter. So, what you're saying is that me running 225/40/18 all round with staggered fitment wheels 8.5 and 9.5 will mean my ESP will go mental and cost me loads?

    I've not noticed any change :/
    Same size tyre so difference is minimal. There is a tolerance built in to allow for say, 2 new tyres at the front and 2 worn out tyres at the back. I'd imagine yours would fall into this allowance as its so minimal.

    You can't however run 225 40's at the front and 245 40's at the back.
    '09 Lci 335d individual. M-dev stage 2, 360bhp 550ftlb. 'Undercover police edition'

  12. #11
    Sam_'s Avatar
    Down under

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,790
    245s fit a 9 quite well. I run them all round but 245/40/17:

    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

  13. #12
    lovemelongtime's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    255/35/18 is nearer 225/40/18 for rolling radius.
    Thanks jojo. I looked at the tyre calculator today and there is marginal difference of -0.1% which is spot on.

  14. #13
    lovemelongtime's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by BENJAMIN View Post
    Very important to get the rolling radius front and rear close as possible. Get it wrong and the ESP throws a fit and the haldex clutches eat themselves.

    Routledge, profile is a percentage of the width so 245/40 has larger radius than 225/40.
    Cheers Ben.

  15. #14
    lovemelongtime's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    245s fit a 9 quite well. I run them all round but 245/40/17:

    Sam she looks mean!!!

  16. #15
    lovemelongtime's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    335
    Do you think the s3 will look ok with 9j 255/35/18 on the rears with 8j 225/40/18?

  17. #16
    Wind Deflector Trend-setter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by BENJAMIN View Post
    Same size tyre so difference is minimal. There is a tolerance built in to allow for say, 2 new tyres at the front and 2 worn out tyres at the back. I'd imagine yours would fall into this allowance as its so minimal.

    You can't however run 225 40's at the front and 245 40's at the back.
    Fair play. I'll go back to minding my own business then

    EDIT: I'm due to have you fix something actually.. So I expect I'll be calling you soon.
    2000 Plate Audi S3 1.8T Santorin Blue - 261.0BHP - 255.1LB/FT on Custom Parsons Performance remap, Forge 007p DV, Red DogBush, Milltek non-res, Lowered 35mm Apex springs, Badger5 TIP/cone filter/heat shield, Powerflex'd, Large FMIC, Relentless Downpipe, Parsons Decat and lots of love.
    On gearbox number 4.
    Further modification to come..

  18. #17
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,613
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemelongtime View Post
    Do you think the s3 will look ok with 9j 255/35/18 on the rears with 8j 225/40/18?
    It will look fine, but squeezing 255s under the rear arches require the correct offset. What you could do is use 235/40R18 all round I guess?



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  19. #18
    lovemelongtime's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It will look fine, but squeezing 255s under the rear arches require the correct offset. What you could do is use 235/40R18 all round I guess?
    ET on the rims are 35, I have a rear adjustable tie arm as well so I guess I can play round with that?

    Not sure on the 235/40/18, I dont really want any stretch on the 9s.

    humm this gets you thinking lol.

  20. #19
    BENJAMIN's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemelongtime View Post
    ET on the rims are 35, I have a rear adjustable tie arm as well so I guess I can play round with that?

    Not sure on the 235/40/18, I dont really want any stretch on the 9s.

    humm this gets you thinking lol.
    235 on a 9 will be fine mate. 255 is a little large for the arches IMO
    '09 Lci 335d individual. M-dev stage 2, 360bhp 550ftlb. 'Undercover police edition'

  21. #20
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    173
    Im running 225 on 9.5j and it looks fine

  22. #21
    lovemelongtime's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by BENJAMIN View Post
    235 on a 9 will be fine mate. 255 is a little large for the arches IMO
    Cheers Ben again. Looking forward to our project!!

    Quote Originally Posted by milli View Post
    Im running 225 on 9.5j and it looks fine
    Kool do you have pictures?

  23. #22
    Sam_'s Avatar
    Down under

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,790
    Yeah I reckon 255 would be ok on the rear but it'd be pretty crucial to get the offset spot on. I have a bit of space with 245s.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

  24. #23
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    173
    Here is my 225 tyre on 9.5j


  25. #24
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,613
    Quote Originally Posted by milli View Post
    Here is my 225 tyre on 9.5j

    He doesn't want stretch, that looks stretched! Lol



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  26. #25
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He doesn't want stretch, that looks stretched! Lol
    He asked for a pic, i gave him one

  27. #26
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,613
    Quote Originally Posted by milli View Post
    He asked for a pic, i gave him one
    And so he did, I shall crawl back under my rock. Lol



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  28. #27
    lovemelongtime's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He doesn't want stretch, that looks stretched! Lol
    Thanks milli

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    And so he did, I shall crawl back under my rock. Lol
    Lol Cheers jojo

    Thats too much stretch for me. I've been there and done the stretch tyres with sub 300 bhp, did not feel safe to me. So tyre on the tarmac is for winners and solid tyre walls.

    So looking at the thread, so 235/40 on the 9s only will be fine? 1.26% is the difference between tyre sizes, so that equals 8mm diameter change.

  29. #28
    limbo118118's Avatar
    LORD

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wrexham.. North Wales
    Posts
    355

    My Social Networking

    Add limbo118118 on Facebook
    old thread now but im stuck! just bought new wheels...

    8.5j and 9.5j.... tires already on them 225/40 all round...

    clearly back has stretch as photo above...

    this setup ok on my s3 radius ok?

    i dont know how you work it out :s any idea what tire size i could get for the rear 9.5j for a little LESS stretch!? bit much for my liking! :/ thanks in advance!!!!

  30. #29
    Sam_'s Avatar
    Down under

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,790
    235s or 245s are what you want really on a 9 or 9.5 unless you want scene points for "sik stretch". I'm getting new tyres on Monday (AD08Rs) and going for 255/40/17 rear and 245/40/17 front.

    This is a good tool to compare sizes and rolling radius differences:
    Visual Tyre Size Calculator | Kouki Tech
    I don't pay too much attention to the visual representation of the actual tyre size as it's a little off.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

  31. #30
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,613
    Quote Originally Posted by limbo118118 View Post
    old thread now but im stuck! just bought new wheels...

    8.5j and 9.5j.... tires already on them 225/40 all round...

    clearly back has stretch as photo above...

    this setup ok on my s3 radius ok?

    i dont know how you work it out :s any idea what tire size i could get for the rear 9.5j for a little LESS stretch!? bit much for my liking! :/ thanks in advance!!!!
    If the tyre sizes are correct front and rear, then the rolling radius should be correct irrespective of stretch on the sidewalls?



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  32. #31
    CHRISTOPHÉ's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    70
    I've got 245/45/19 on 8.5/9.5 and they have same rolling diameter. I use this calc Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com
    Allroad 2.5TDI 04 Manual on 19x9.5 BBS LM 402'd 30mm
    Uprated air suspension system, working on second air tank in spare wheel well.
    A8 4.2QS 98 on 20x10" sold

  33. #32
    limbo118118's Avatar
    LORD

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wrexham.. North Wales
    Posts
    355

    My Social Networking

    Add limbo118118 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If the tyre sizes are correct front and rear, then the rolling radius should be correct irrespective of stretch on the sidewalls?
    Tryed reading up loads on if tonight but iv can sit the wheels next too each other and the front sits higher and it has less stretch so would of thought that would of made a difference?

  34. #33
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,613
    Quote Originally Posted by limbo118118 View Post
    Tryed reading up loads on if tonight but iv can sit the wheels next too each other and the front sits higher and it has less stretch so would of thought that would of made a difference?
    Fair enough, I walkways thought the stretch was in the sidewalls, it cam compress the tread area aswell to reduce the rolling radius. Another reason for me to never go with stretched tyres, as they are clearly not designed by the manufacturer to be used in such a form.

    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against stretched tyres, but I just think I prefer my car, with it's 270odd horses to be unleashed on proper fitted tyres.



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  35. #34
    limbo118118's Avatar
    LORD

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wrexham.. North Wales
    Posts
    355

    My Social Networking

    Add limbo118118 on Facebook
    Yeh i feel the same abit why im after a set of rear tyres for 9.5j's to fit with abit less strectch! Any idea how you calculate the rolling radios % out?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. tyre size and spec
    By ap in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29th August 2011, 11:09
  2. a3 sline 19 " tyre size and wheel offset question
    By andi1 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 5th March 2011, 05:44
  3. wheel offset and tyre sizes, need info please :)
    By liam_b in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26th April 2010, 23:34
  4. Wheel And Tyre Size?
    By Ronniebiggs in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 27th October 2009, 19:02
  5. Wheels and tyre sizes.
    By S3Steve in forum Handling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28th February 2006, 10:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO