60mph in second gear?

sprushty

TQS Collective
Reaction score
I have a 1.8tqs with a 5 speed box in it, I can just about hit 50-55 in 2nd at the red line. Does the 60mph in second only apply to s3's with 5 speed boxes? With that in mind does that mean theres two types of 5 speed boxes for the 8l 1.8t's?

5 speed boxes should do over 60mph in second.... 6speed boxes are just shy of 60mph at the std redline...

<tuffty/>

am I doing something wrong then or is my car not well?

My S3 used to rev to only 6,800 and did about 56ish in 2nd, now it revs to 7,350, it will do 60 in 2nd. (The speedo shows 62 but I reckon in real speed it's 60). I think the 5 speed on the early TQS will do it easily. Not sure on the others.

My S3 used to rev to only 6,800 and did about 56ish in 2nd, now it revs to 7,350, it will do 60 in 2nd. (The speedo shows 62 but I reckon in real speed it's 60). I think the 5 speed on the early TQS will do it easily. Not sure on the others.

Out the box, it should hit 59 in second, pretty sure my S3 revs past 7, though it's pretty pointless after 6800 anyways.

Reactions: PauliM
7,141rpm will have you doing 60mph in an S3 on standard sized wheels in 2nd gear

at 7,350rpm you are indeed doing 62mph

2011-06-29165350.jpg

<tuffty/>

My cars on the standard 16 inch t-sport wheels, that maybe why? its a bit of a clunky gearbox, takes about 3-4 seconds for the clutch to fully disengage, if i dont wait and push it in, the car lurches forward a bit and stops. Am I right in saying the tqs 5 speed has the slave cylinder on the outside of the box? I think it may be leaky...

That pictures getting a bit boring I think you need to get out there and update it!

Reactions: Westy
that picture just reminded me, whats that little black rounded bit of plastic that sits in the middle of the windscreen demist vents? if its just design, then its a wierd bit of styling...

that picture just reminded me, whats that little black rounded bit of plastic that sits in the middle of the windscreen demist vents? if its just design, then its a wierd bit of styling...

It's one of the alarm sensors.

Its a temp sensor for the aircon..

<tuffty/>

I slowly took the car up to 60 in 2nd using the day nav and as the limiter cut in and the car just kinda stopped, the say nav was showing 61mph and the rev counter was showing 7400, with vag com snacks before showing the car revs up to 7,350 but like others have said above - its great for a good 0-60 time but if your doing or 0-100/120 then it's pointless letting it rev that high.

sunlight penetration photosensor -G107 (go JoJo)

AudiWorld Tech Articles

SENSORS
The sensors that control the climate control unit are the sun sensor and cabin temperature sensor. The sun sensor is the dome shaped unit located in the middle of the defrost vents on top of the dash. This adjusts the climate control system to compensate for the hot sun glaring into your car. The cabin air temperature sensor measures the cabin temperature by the small vent that is located above the climate controls.

<tuffty/>

like some have mentioned you need at least rpm limiter of 7200+ and as far as 0-60 it is very easy to hit 4.6 seconds with little more than a miltek and intake and a stage 2 map but watch your clutch after doing it the 1st time I thought id quickly shed some more weight from the boot and my brother 95kg and all my tools 20 kg+ quickly jumped back in and tried again hoping to hit 4.4/5 and my clutch immediately started slipping will not be tring that again until I have spare cash for a paddle clutch lookerly it hasn't slipped since maybe it was just heated from the 1st run Regards Doug

I get 78 in second at 7250rpm on an 02J.

I am certain the 5 speed Haldex use boxes are a strange ratio. Don't know what though as they are so rare.

"Easily" clock 4.6 seconds with stage 2 power, a 95kg passenger and 20kg of tools?!? Trying for 4.5 with a slipping clutch? Are you mad?

yes I do believe 4.6 is very easily achieved but not recommend on std clutch to be fair I never intended to do a timed run but my nagging brother (mk4 golf gti turbo owner) kinda pear pressured me in to it on the way back from the shops. and he was gob smacked he wouldn't show me the stop watch but I seen it 4.63 so wasn't planned other wise id of shed that weight well before and it never slipped before that so I was not to know but I quickly dipped it as soon as I felt it slip so maybe took a few k of the clutch, got no idea when it was last replaced just got the car 7 weeks ago. and Tuffty gz on the 4.2 that's amazing I bet you spent some money to get that. Regards Doug.

yes I do believe 4.6 is very easily achieved but not recommend on std clutch to be fair I never intended to do a timed run but my nagging brother (mk4 golf gti turbo owner) kinda pear pressured me in to it on the way back from the shops. and he was gob smacked he wouldn't show me the stop watch but I seen it 4.63 so wasn't planned other wise id of shed that weight well before and it never slipped before that so I was not to know but I quickly dipped it as soon as I felt it slip so maybe took a few k of the clutch, got no idea when it was last replaced just got the car 7 weeks ago. and Tuffty gz on the 4.2 that's amazing I bet you spent some money to get that. Regards Doug.

It isn't possible on stage two figures with a 95kg passenger and 20kgs of tools. Sorry to disappoint.

Westys car is 305bhp; and he manages 4.8. And he isn't exactly an inexperienced driver.

My car has a power to weight ratio equal to a 300bhp S3 and my best time in GPS is only 5.5; whilst I am fully open to accept the advantage of traction 4.6 is just not possible allowing for about 280bhp from a stage 2 car. Let alone passengers and additional weight.

What did you use to time it? I know for a fact that the v-box shows the speedo to be 2-3 mph fast.... I managed 4.1secs this evening GPS verified... seems quite difficult to get it much faster but I would like to see if I can get 4 or even 3.9 secs on v-box... 0-100 was 10secs...

<tuffty/>

im not disappointed my brother was in the car and a socket set and im over joyed with the result its all about getting a a good start and and good changes and some people are better than others at achieving this...... Regards Doug

I find my self having to change up quite quickly even with normal driving, 70mph and the car doing ~3k rpm, I wish it had a sixth gear as it feels like it could do with one once its running at that speed

im not disappointed my brother was in the car and a socket set and im over joyed with the result its all about getting a a good start and and good changes and some people are better than others at achieving this...... Regards Doug

You could have the best start in the world and perfect gear changes, but no stage 2 S3 with 115kg of weight (additional to the driver) is ever going to accelerate to 60 in 4.6 seconds.

Unless that start involved the back of an aeroplane.

I'm not looking for an argument, just informing you that what you believe just isn't possible so that you don't look silly mentioning it again.

:beerchug:

Didn't use anything as fancy as that to time my run just a stop watch and a satnav gps which tallied exactly to my speedo up to 80 mph after 100mph it was indeed 3 mph out Regards Doug

Well u can show me all the facts and figured till your blue in the face its still not gonna change the fact it happened and I know I can do better if you passing sunderland Ill be more than happy to show how it runs also if anyone needs any help I have full vagcom and can remap and service cars with stamp for service history Regards Doug

Tuffty that is one big *** turbo surly you'd want the boost at around 1.5 bar with the uprated IC im running 1.37 bar on the k04 on standard IC I think you could very easily take your car 3.8 seconds bring it over to me and ill update your map for the extra boost Regards Doug

Have to remember westy's wasn't 305bhp when them times were set, he dynoed around 270 ish when dropped at rtech iirc ;)

Tuffty that is one big *** turbo surly you'd want the boost at around 1.5 bar with the uprated IC im running 1.37 bar on the k04 on standard IC I think you could very easily take your car 3.8 seconds bring it over to me and ill update your map for the extra boost Regards Doug

LOL.

You are my hero.

Reactions: Westy