Tire wear troubles!

S4 Muzza

oww! my giant blue head!
Reaction score
On the way home from work tonigh and had to pull over due to this....

IMG_0188_zps046d9c4e.jpg

IMG_0193_zpsaffa2ee6.jpg

Inside inch of the tire was seriously worn! Should i be checking them for uneven wear more often? Probably. But i've had around 12k of trouble free motoring out of them, thought any major issues would have shown up before now! The tracking has been done on numerous occasions over the last 18 months, which leads me to believe its down to the camber?

My question/query is, as far as i'm aware the rear camber isnt adjustable on these. So where do i go from here? The other side is weraing perfectly even accross the tire. Really dont want to fork out for adjustable tie bars when the car isnt even lowered!

nearside rear, suspension is completely standard. rear springs were replaced around 30k miles ago.

i am running spacers, but dont think this could be the cause of such an issue??

Looks like it may have had a bump sometime in its life if its that bad, could be damage to rear toe bars or the rear subframe.

have you had tracking done or proper 4 wheel alignment. i say proper as ive spoken to numerous places advertising 4 wheel alignment and they only match the front to the rear. where as you need all wheels checked and put in factory tolerences. theres a big difference between tracking and 4 wheel alignment!!!! secondly what tyres are you on?

thought it was 4 wheel alingnment, although it was vey cheap come to think of it... been reccommended a local guy who does 4 wheel alignment so gona stop by there some time this week.

tyres are falken fk452's, not top of the range but not a budget by any means!

Is there any wear on the outer edge at all? I.E. Bald?

Even though you can't adjust the camber on the rear on a standard s3,as said worth geting 4w alinement checked,because they will be able to adjust the rear toe on a standard s3.id say look's more like the rear toe is out,the wear is more progresive across that part of the tyre.if your rear axle bush's are worn would give enough movement in that one side (get them to check this)if the tyre is worn a little bit on the outside,obveously would indicate you have had a slow puncture,if so check tyre for nail's (or corroded wheel).
always a reason worn bush's,incorect tyre pressure,toe adjustment ect,does'nt meen the car's been hit and somethinks bent,just best to work through the elimination lprogress.could even be when you had the new springs fitted a while back,the rear toe was never re adjusted.....

falken 452s have been known to split and bulge like that. i got 4 new ones and within a few monts the rear two had badly bulged on the inside. just makesure that whoever does it can check and adjust the rear properly. anything less the 60 quid would sound suspicious. and some places want a lot more than that. you will get a print out showing all your geometry at the right place.