Rocker cover gasket HELP :P

Flemboy1990

Reaction score
Hey guys first post so be gentle ;) lol, got an audi s3 02 with the BAM engine, got an oil leak, oil is running down the rear of the engine on the cam belt side, pretty sure it's rocker cover gasket, so I changed it and the cam chain tensioner gasket but its still leaking :S. the cct gasket I put I'm seems fine there's no oil around that side of the engine since I changed it, so don't know if I made a mistake, or the gasket I bought was s**t or I did t use enough gasket sealant etc, just wondering what is the best gasket sealant to use?? Is there any harm in covering the entire surface of the head where the gasket sits?? Is there also a particular order for the rocker cover bolts to be tightened back up?? With the old gasket that was on there the only place it was wet with oil was right at the back of the engine on the cambelt side, now with this new gasket in there it looks moist and wet all the way around other than the side where the cct is?? :S

any help would be much appreciated

other than that loving the s3 :D

Hi Flemboy,

Not sure if you got it sorted, but i'm a mechy offshore and a diesel fitter, on the engines i normally work on it doesnt really matter what sequence you bolt it down, but i tend to stick to the same rule as if bolting down a head, start in the center and work outwards in a rotating pattern, if you remove the rocker cover again you will need to replace the gasket again, with a good gasket there should be no need for gasket sealant, i only use gasket sealant on smaller cummins diesels as that's how they are from the factory, no paper or rubber gaskets. if you remove the rocker again, make sure the sealing faces from the rocker box and rocker cover are clean and free from burrs/scratches, if you see any use a small fine file along the length of the sealing face, just enough to remove any. dont go mad with the file as you could put a low point on the face and it will **** oil out, and if that's the case ditch the paper gasket and just use the sealant.
Or if your not sure best bet is just ring a local trusted garage, a rocker gasket replacement shouldn't be too expensive and then if it's still leaking you have something to go back on.
bobby.

Oh and make sure you torque the bolts down to the same setting, otherwise the cover will have high and low points where the bolts are tighter or looser.