Another job off the list

The Doctor

Reaction score
Website
www.wbmcc.com
Finally got round to dropping the sump and fitting a new oil pick-up pipe this morning. Weather forecast was clear & bright, and of course it decided to rain - oh the joys of car maintenance on the driveway in the rain...

Anyway, my car's covered 94k and has had 2 Longlife services at intervals of 17k and 20k miles in its former life, but I was amazed to find that the sump and pick-up were actually really clean. Anyway, I still replaced the pick-up and cleaned out the sump, and now I have full peace of mind about the potential risk of oil starvation.

I must be getting old though - my arms are killing me. Time for a cuppa I think. And some pics of the job...

Sump as it came off the car, after wiping out with a rag & some Gunk:

Sump001.jpg

Original oil pick-up filter:

Sump003.jpg

New oil pick-up & filter fitted:

Sump002.jpg

Sump after some toothbrush & Gunk action:

Sump005.jpg

With bead of VAG Sump Sealant, ready for re-fitting to the car:

Sump007.jpg

All done, no leaks. Another job off the list. Only 23 left....!!

its not a nice job on a ramp so i admire you for doing it on the drive in this lovely weather, when you bolted it up did you get a massive amount come out around the edges? seems a lot of sealant from the pic (waits to be told im wrong by everyone lol) it could just be my bosses way of things has rubbed off on me lol

Good stuff mate

As mentioned above, thats a whole load of sealant, I'd be a bit worried about how much has squeezed inside the sump on refitting and is now finding it's way into oilways and oil pickups. When i did mine a year ago I used a LOT less than that with no leaks :unsure:

Sorry Paul mate... have to agree with everyone here...

I normally go for a bead like this....
IMAG0055.jpg

...even then it squeezes out a bit...
IMAG0056.jpg

<tuffty/>

Tuffty i hope you took the tube out before you refitted the sump lol

TBH with this stuff a little goes a very long way, i do know of a mechanic who called us and ask for the sump gasket, when we said there isnt one and you use a vw sealant he said ok i will face fit it (use no sealant) anyway that doesnt leak, not sure how he managed that tbh

LoL Guess what the Doc will be doing tomorrow?
Agreed with the above. Way too much sealant on there...

Hi guys, I put that bead on, then smoothed it across the width of the edge of the sump with my finger before re-fitting it to ensure a good contact with the block. As I did that I removed a fair bit of the sealant as I worked my way round. It did squeeze out around the edges a bit, but only about the amount in tuffty's pic above. So I'm sure it's fine.

Even though the original pick-up pipe looked quite clear, the engine's noticably smoother on start-up now.

Strangely enough it's my neck that aches today, rather than my arms. Can't remember head-banging at a heavy metal gig last night, but maybe I did.

How was the job? I have mine planned for next week. Just need the o-ring for the pickup...

Strangely enough it's my neck that aches today, rather than my arms. Can't remember head-banging at a heavy metal gig last night, but maybe I did.

I got a sore neck after changing the haldex oil & filter and the rear diff oil. Never saw anything about getting a sore neck mentioned in the stickies ...

How Bizzare? I got mine done last weekend by my trusted mechanic, he also reported (as i'm at work) that the sump was clean (for a Diesel) with no gritty bits in the oil and the pick up was clean and clear, not bad for 134k miles, also had the front number plate holder pained black and just in the process of finally getting my newly refurbished wheels back (painted silver this time) fixed the reversing sensor problem and looking to fit a FMIC spray mist system to get the air temps down a bit, so looking forward to Badger 5's session, looking to go a little better than 501lbs/ft this time

I think that wether the sump and pick up is clean or not depends on the servicing the car has had, the oil used and the length of it's daily drive.

The ultimate example of this is Prawns car, the sump was dropped on that for the first time after 200,000+ of total abuse. The sump itself had no stickyness and was just full of clean oil, and the pick up pipe was as clean as the one he purchased to replace.

I have the same story with quite a few friends, and the only constant is 6000 mile servicing with Quantum and giving the car a good thrash at the weekend.

Not saying people shouldn't check it, but for a lot of people it may feel like a pointless exercise.

Not saying people shouldn't check it, but for a lot of people it may feel like a pointless exercise.

it's just not one of those things you can risk though is it?

I expected mine to be really nasty after 200k, but it was perfectly clean and clear, yet I've done cars that are on 80k and it's ben 70% blocked!

generally, from what I've seen, older cars that were pre AVS have more luck, newer facelift cars that were on AVS tend to be blocked badly.

Which reminds me - Jardo - isn't your car a former AVS car? I'm positive I remember Niki saying your oil seemed burnt and nasty years ago and it needed the pick up pipe doing. May be worth doing asap as I don't remember Lou having it done.

I do need to do mine, but it's effort.

Might do it at the end of the month when I fit the milltek, you got any sealant?

The AVS long life service does seem to be the main culprit .

mine was pretty blocked when i got the car a couple of years ago. since then I've done regular oil changes every 6k miles or so and the pickup is still nice and sludge free 2 years on.

After all the recent threads and warnings I had my oil pump, sump and pick up changed last week. Really surprised to see it didn’t look as mucky in there as expected and the pick up wasn't clogged up at all considering it was on the long life service for the first four years of its life.

Thinking about it I could have saved a few bob not doing it but the plus side is the car
runs so much smoother now since and I can rest easy that with 107k miles on the clock now it's one less thing to worry about.

i did mine a couple of years ago, car was on 120k and the sump was baked in oil and the pick up didnt look great. it'd had a lifetime of longlife servicing up until that point. been on 5k oil changes for 30k now and i expect it to be immaculate when im next in there.

i think if you catch it early enough you might not find much, but left late and it will manifest quickly.

Sounds like prawns regular changes and a thrashing cleared it up (if it was bad before your ownership), oil filter will be full up to catch that lot.

i think it should be law to do it when buying one of these. we've all seen the pics bill posts regarding oil starvation. not pretty

Sorry Paul mate... have to agree with everyone here...

I normally go for a bead like this....
IMAG0055.jpg

...even then it squeezes out a bit...
IMAG0056.jpg

<tuffty/>

Paul, out of interest, why does your sump look different? I.e. it has welded plates in it?