300bhp?

glasgowal

Reaction score
What kind of power mods should I be looking at to get roughly 300 brake on a BAM S3?

Obvious mods like, sports cat, cat back, induction, remape, FMIC? But wondering if there's any smaller mods that I should be aware of!

Tyvm for your input!

Read westys thread mate, everything you need to know in their.

Hi, you should search the past threads as there are so many of them containing tuning info and s3 bam parameters in regards to tuning.

280bhp = downpipe, Decat, exhaust, fmic, badger 5 tip, smoothed air box , 007 diverter valve with correct spring, upgraded plugs and gapped correctly, finally stage 2 remap by shark or revo or similar. Optimax 99 octane

300 bhp normally would require big turbo build.

Sean

280 is fairly simple with bolt on mods, 290 takes a bit more work, 300bhp is damn near impossible on the stock turbo, although it has been done a few times but reliability at that output is questionable at best!

I logged 220g/s (275hp) with just a stage 1 map (unsure of brand, previous owner), B5 V1 TIP, Jetex cone and everything else stock but healthy. Got an additional 4g/s after fitting the AH Fabs V2 cooler, bring me up to 280hp but of course these are only theoretical figures based on the airflow. It's only been on the rolling road once, and the haldex was freaking out. I also have a phonelic inlet and much simplified breather setup but they won't effect these figures.

I was on a similar quest when I first set out, but soon figured it's not worth chasing specific figures. There's a wealth of knowledge on here, with many cheap (comparatively) and effective modifications which remove the many restrictions the car comes with as standard. As said, 280bhp and a **** load of torque is readily available with a budget of just over a grand, although this price doesn't include new rifle drilled rods which you'll come to know as a weak point in these engines.

Theres loads of project threads to look through which is where I get most of my ideas for upgrades from!

How many people have actually thrown a rod at stage 2? I'm only asking as I'm a DP away from a stage 2 map. I was thinking of fitting WMI, Relentles mani and rods before mapping but that's a long way off! So I'm thinking of just going stage 2 on the standard rods.

A few have... I know of at least one that thrown a rod on an unmapped engine... rod lottery...

Really is subjective... careful mapping will help preserve the rods...

<tuffty/>

Agreed. I'm on standard rods still.

Personal xp dictates that Good custom mapping is what it's about...not this stage business.

...thats not to say that your rods won't go, careful mapping will help preserve them but be under no illusion... they are still at risk....

<tuffty/>

...thats not to say that your rods won't go, careful mapping will help preserve them but be under no illusion... they are still at risk....

<tuffty/>

It's all about the rods - by far the most worrying mod to forget about

I was under the impresion that a stage 2 map was a bespoke map?

first-spoon-feedMVT_zps2d90c3fd.jpg

This why I've never understood the whole stage mapping thing??? Even on custom mappers web site they advertise stage 2 maps and everyone talks about stage maps. Shorly a custom map is just that? Sorry if I'm talking out of my **** but my nappys full and I've lost my dummy:jester:

Stages were introduced years ago and seems more prevalent in VAG tuning circles...

Stage 1 maps are generic maps as a rule that give more power but work within the limits of the std hardware... stage 2 is designed to take advantage of popular upgrades such as FMIC's, larger downpipes and induction kits generally adding a little more top end power but mostly giving better mid range performance..

Most of this was done years ago when our cars were fresh and low mileage... 'custom' maps are starting to take over mostly due to the fact our cars are old and the condition of engines vary wildly... custom stage 2 (and stage 1 too for that matter) are designed not only to take advantage of hardware modifications but the variance in engine condition... some engines seem happy to take boost and timing, others not so much..

Decent tuners (Bill @ Badger5 and Niki @ R-Tech for example) will always factor in whats actually happening with the engine of your car and tune accordingly...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for filling in the blanks Sir. As I like to say: every day is a school day and you're only stupid if you don't ask.
Mummy is about to burp me know so all's well with the world...

Goes back to what "stage" actually means

Personally - a stage 2 map is a fully customized Stage 1

nope........ depends on who's code it is.

franchised companies with resellers/installers have packaged "stages" of tune..
this was to cater for bog stock cars no mods, and those with mods...
the generic stage maps are just that, generic. whether they are optimised for your particular mods is debateable.. they will no doubt run more boost and make more torque/power.
some companies will sell you want you ask for... whether you need it or its unsuitable for your car and mods or lack thereof.. they are there to take your money and sell you something

there are others who create their own maps.. author them, and evolve them on a dyno and road... these are custom maps.. and although obviously based on a starting point, can be dialed in to your specific car. they wont be generic.

some generic maps are adjustable like revo... for boost, ign, fueling (on some models) so although generic they have some 2 elements which can be dialed in to your hardware.

just ***, dont let man in a van visit you, check nothing, and simply flash a file, tell you its xyz power, take your moneys and leave.. this is dodgy... the cars must be checked,.. they are old and have multiple faults usually. simply throwing on some unknown file onto the ecu is asking for trouble.

My 305bhp has caused an issue in less then 300 miles! It's probably down to a poorly fitting manifold that wasn't fitted with the correct fixings 6 months ago but we shall soon find out.

I'm hoping that reliability won't be a major issue and that this was just a nasty coincidence. New manifold, gaskets, fittings, and turbo support bracket going on next weekend and you never know, the car could be fine for years.

It's pretty much unhartered territory.

nope........ depends on who's code it is.

franchised companies with resellers/installers have packaged "stages" of tune..
this was to cater for bog stock cars no mods, and those with mods...
the generic stage maps are just that, generic. whether they are optimised for your particular mods is debateable.. they will no doubt run more boost and make more torque/power.
some companies will sell you want you ask for... whether you need it or its unsuitable for your car and mods or lack thereof.. they are there to take your money and sell you something

there are others who create their own maps.. author them, and evolve them on a dyno and road... these are custom maps.. and although obviously based on a starting point, can be dialed in to your specific car. they wont be generic.

some generic maps are adjustable like revo... for boost, ign, fueling (on some models) so although generic they have some 2 elements which can be dialed in to your hardware.

just ***, dont let man in a van visit you, check nothing, and simply flash a file, tell you its xyz power, take your moneys and leave.. this is dodgy... the cars must be checked,.. they are old and have multiple faults usually. simply throwing on some unknown file onto the ecu is asking for trouble.

Sound advice right there.

Pretty much all the reasons why we are moving into a unit are in those few paragraphs. Particularly for older cars which need a thorough checking over before putting more power through them.

300bhp on the stock turbo would be asking for trouble. It isn't worth squeezing a few more bhp out of it and risking it going bang. Reliability and longevity are just as important as peak power figures.

Bill speaks the truth! I may go stage 2 just for fun, but that's because I'm going BT hopefully next year (if I get all my stuff by then!) in my opinion, if your keeping your car for a while, just get some rods, it'll open doors to tuning with confidence. People like Bill at badger 5 and niki at r-tech know their stuff! I've net both and they fill you with confidence with their knowledge!

Bill speaks the truth! I may go stage 2 just for fun, but that's because I'm going BT hopefully next year (if I get all my stuff by then!) in my opinion, if your keeping your car for a while, just get some rods, it'll open doors to tuning with confidence. People like Bill at badger 5 and niki at r-tech know their stuff! I've net both and they fill you with confidence with their knowledge!

I agree. I said on SCN yesterday that I'd only go to Bill or Niki for a map. I've asked about maps a few times but it's never been explained as Bill has above before. Ideally I'd rather fit rods first but I think I'll take the gamble and minimise the risks as much as possible and keep on putting money to one side for a re build. If the engine does go bang my wife will have to let me take the money out of the savings!

You want to tell her it will be cheaper to do the rods now that replace the whole engine if you launch a rod though the block lol... tbh most just bend, it would take some effort to stick one through the block but still possible...

<tuffty/>

You want to tell her it will be cheaper to do the rods now that replace the whole engine if you launch a rod though the block lol... tbh most just bend, it would take some effort to stick one through the block but still possible...

<tuffty/>

For me it was a collection of things. Head was coming off to do the mani so while it's off do rods. While the sumps off do the pickup again, also do water pump, oil pump, pison rings, clutch, flywheel................. you get the point lol.

Lol, I've tried that Tuffty but apparently we need another bed room more than I need the extra power!

That's the thing Westy if I do the rods I want to do it propally. So that relentless manifold, WMI, Large port head, inlet manifold the list gets longer! At least I've had a new clutch fitted and a diff. Thinking about it though I might just get saving and do it propally. I just get a bit frustrated at the slow progress and I'm itching to get mapped.
Another remidial question. Looking to get close to 300 BHP does a sports cat get restrictive? As I'm still undecided whether to go de cat or sports cat.

Lol, I've tried that Tuffty but apparently we need another bed room more than I need the extra power!

That's the thing Westy if I do the rods I want to do it propally. So that relentless manifold, WMI, Large port head, inlet manifold the list gets longer! At least I've had a new clutch fitted and a diff. Thinking about it though I might just get saving and do it propally. I just get a bit frustrated at the slow progress and I'm itching to get mapped.
Another remidial question. Looking to get close to 300 BHP does a sports cat get restrictive? As I'm still undecided whether to go de cat or sports cat.

I spent 7 months collecting all the parts I needed for my build. Bought little bits each month then did the work when I had everything I needed. Whatever you do dont go through all the receipts though and hide them from the mrs ;)

Reactions: Jimgrim77

Gops, I don't see the point of stage2 if you are going BT anyways, does the downpipe and everything work with both setups?

Subjective but in my opinion and experience no, the sport cat does not. It also makes getting through mot's easier without bumming the assessor.

One thing will always lead to another and to hit 300, you'll need to have deep pockets and incredible patience.

Its also not simply about straight line power as you'll want to drive it properly. budget for handling, clutch/transmission and trust me...you also want to think about braking better too.

I did things a few things at a time. Increased cost of labour for doing it this way but money wasn't a problem. Westy's one hit scenario worked a peach but you'll need to plan and be patient. Your choice.

A sports cat would make life easier... Im not nessiserally looking at a certain power figure more a good selection of mods that work well together. You've hit the nail on the head I'm not a very patient person lol. Transmition has been sorted, brakes are next on the list and I'm half way through sorting the handling. Thanks everyone I think I'm back on track with my think. Rods first.

Just I quick note, I know we all like telling our mates tha our cars are running millions of bhp but... If anyone has ever drove a 280bhp s3 8l they are not slow ! And I weighed up the cost to fun factor in chasing an extra 20bhp and thought not worth it IMO. Your better off skipping stage 2 if your after big power and going BT build, more cost effective in the long run me thinks.

Sean

After I fitted a brand new K04 I just wanted to see what it could really do! I wasn't after big power but just wanted to see if a K04 could produce 300bhp with the right mods. Not only have I managed 300bhp ou of my car I've also registered the fastest 0-60 and quarter mile times I know of from a stock K04 S3.

It's all interesting stuff working out what a car needs to squeeze that little extra out of it and building an engine was also a lot of fun ;)

After I fitted a brand new K04 I just wanted to see what it could really do! I wasn't after big power but just wanted to see if a K04 could produce 300bhp with the right mods. Not only have I managed 300bhp ou of my car I've also registered the fastest 0-60 and quarter mile times I know of from a stock K04 S3.

It's all interesting stuff working out what a car needs to squeeze that little extra out of it and building an engine was also a lot of fun ;)

Westy there is no doubt what you have one out a stock ko4 is impressive, what I said was aimed at newbies who come on always asking how can they get 300bhp with a low budget. And you did fit a brand new turbo didn't you? Cost £££'s . Your cars figures are out of reach for most s3 running original factory fitted turbo with reliability and longevity in mind :)

Sean

Reactions: Westy
s33nyboy12:1697779 said:
Just I quick note, I know we all like telling our mates tha our cars are running millions of bhp but... If anyone has ever drove a 280bhp s3 8l they are not slow !

Don't get me started on this.

280 BHP would do me just fine. For me I wouldn't want to go BT on a FWD car. I like the power delivery of the K04 and I'd just like to make the most of what I've got and enjoy doing it.

You love it Dave! *** Jardo is pretty much the highlight of this forum; if it wasn't for me it'd be full of window lickers running around putting 4bar pressure reg's and atmospheric dump valves on everything like SCN. You should be more grateful Dave, I bring the standard of A3 owner up, by weeding out the thick and educating the misguided.

*** Jardo.