S3 8L Tyres

ShaunS3

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.
Regional Rep
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Right guys,

Mission for you all........

I am in need of 4 new tyres for my S3 but am on abit of a budget, due to major service (inc cambelt & haldex) needing to be done.

I really wanted some Conti's or Pzero Rosso's but at £120 a tyre, they aint cheap and just abit more than i can afford :( Are there any recommended budget 'cheap but good performance tyres'?

I won't be driving the S3 very hard so a little less grip wouldn't be too bad, i'm more of a straight line driver who gives the car a boost occasionally. I want the tyres to last as long as possible but not compromising too much grip.

I've heard of KUMHO tyres, any good? Advice warmly welcomed :)

Cheers, Shaun.

personally i go for Falken FK452`s as for the money they are a very good tyre with good reviews.

i get mine from Camskill as they have the best prices and very good delivery and then get them fitted locally.

Falken FK452's are good, and loads of people run them.

Toyo T1-r's are a good tyre also.

Uniroyal rainsport 2's are a very good tyre, but a bit soft. For the price, you will find nothing that grips as well in the wet.

Vredsteins are highly rated as well, but it all depends on budget.

Alot of people go with Falken 452's if there on a budget here and haven't heard of any complaints about them. Btw, even if you did have the money I wouldn't stick Pzero Rosso's on it mate, I'd recommend Michelin PS2 or 3's or Goodyear Eagle F1's

FK452's on a budget... I use these on mine and not had an issue yet... fancy pushing the boat out a bit next time for F1 Assyemetrics though...

<tuffty/>

I use Toyo Proxes T1R's. I think they cost about £110-115 in the shops/garages or you can get them for about £90 from Camskill, then its about £10 a tyre to fit, still works out cheaper.

I went for something completely different and fitted some Firestone SZ90u's all round on my Stage 2 mapped S3.

They were about £90 a corner fitted and I have to say I am extremely impressed with them both in the dry and in this crappy rain we have. In my opinion they outperform every other tyre I have ever tried on any of my cars and believe me I have tried a few including some ridiculously expensive ones !

Firestone Europe > Car > SZ90&mu;

They also have a pretty cool tread pattern too :)

Oh and my dad liked them so much on my car he fitted a full set to his Mazda 3 MPS too with excellent results !

F1 Asymmetric 2 is where its at.

Run them on both my cars, and they are quite simply outstanding.

Depends on the size ofcourse, but the last full set i bought (17") was 400quid.

I've used Goodyear F1's in all there guises since 2004 and the are quite simply amazing tyres,be it in the dry,wet or even on the 'ring the never missed a beat! I always bought them in 18's though and always got 10/11k out of a set even on a 4wd car. However my last car was an A4 and i bought them in 17's i was a bit shocked to only get 8k from a set and was pretty disappointed. So i switched to pilot sport 3's and haven't looked back.

When i bought the S3's there were PS3's on it and i will be replacing like for like.

With the quattro you could fit the worst tyre you could find and they would be use-able, wouldn't recommend pushing the car on them though.

I have four T1-Rs on and can't fault them, little bit soft so grippy but wear a little quicker then a harder compound.

**** tyres will be **** not matter what drive train you have.

u cant just chuck any tyre on a quattro, you may have the extra grip because of it but you also have extra weight!!
When i bought my s3 it came with 'triangle' branded tyres, ok in the dry but the wet was a joke, couldnt even go around a large roundabout at more than 25, but they where good for a little power slide haha

I had falken 452 and hated them. All 4 were done. Found them to lack grip badly. And the two rear tyres both bulged out on the inside and were luckily picked up when having an alignment done. They were very bad bulges. Im aware that im always the one negative when these tyres are mentioned and find it a bit odd. Maybe i was unlucky but with both rear on inside seems a little bit coinsidental to be bad luck. So maybe research them a bit before you buy. My money normally goes straight on toyo t1r. Had parada spec 2s which were good also. Both soft though.so dont expect them to lap the miles up. Daz

I found toyo T1R's awful in the wet compared to Uniroyals Rainsport, and the Eagle F1's i use now.

Prada Spec2's are known to be lethal in the wet, so best avoided in this country IMO.

Another Toyo T1R user here, had them on my old golf and now got them all round on the S3, £94 each from camskill.

S3 came with egale f1 gsd3 on the front and eagle f1 asymmetric 2 on the rear, i just didnt get on with them found they didnt grip well and understeered, since fitting the toyo's its transfored the car.

Alot of people go with Falken 452's if there on a budget here and haven't heard of any complaints about them. Btw, even if you did have the money I wouldn't stick Pzero Rosso's on it mate, I'd recommend Michelin PS2 or 3's or Goodyear Eagle F1's

I have to agree, I had pzero on just about every car but for some reason they not as good on my s3.........
Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 are the best IMO , failing that potenza bridgestones

On a budget the falkens....

I had falken 452 and hated them. All 4 were done. Found them to lack grip badly. And the two rear tyres both bulged out on the inside and were luckily picked up when having an alignment done. They were very bad bulges. Im aware that im always the one negative when these tyres are mentioned and find it a bit odd. Maybe i was unlucky but with both rear on inside seems a little bit coinsidental to be bad luck. So maybe research them a bit before you buy. My money normally goes straight on toyo t1r. Had parada spec 2s which were good also. Both soft though.so dont expect them to lap the miles up. Daz

I had Falken 452's on and they didn't last long at all so they were soon changed for Continental Sport Contact 3's which are leagues a head in every aspect. I've had Toyo T1-R's on my old clio and they were awful, the side wall was far too soft and it gave no confidence in the corners as you'd steer and then after a delay the car would. Parada Spec 2's are a good grippy tyre but again wear down very quick.

Whats your budget and driving style. Were all giving opinions and most are useless without your info lol. I cant remember my toyos being that bad in the wet. I had them on an ibiza cupra time and time again. Maybe less weight to drag around? And tbh i dont drive at all fast in the wet. Its all dependant on usage. Dry tyres are perfect for me as i dont use my s3 as a daily car. Had uniroyals years ago but simply cant remember what they were lime.

If your after a straight line tyre that lasts but no major lack of grip. My car has nexen n6000 on. I would never have bought them myself but they were on the car and nearly new. They seem fine so far. Grippy enough and review well from what ive read. Another option??

I had falken fk452's on when I bought my s3.they were a very good all round tyre.i now have parada spec 2's on and in the dry and when they have a bit of heat in them they are super grippy I will back out before they do but in the wet they behave like a budget tyre

I need four new boots too so reading this thread with interest. Currently have four Michelin pilot sport 3's on the mule. They're very good tyres (had F1's before that and Toyo T1Rs before that) but not sure they're worth the extra £30 per corner. Might go for some Eagle F1 Asymmetric as I hear good things about this rubber.

Guys dont forget you can get 20% off Michelin's at Costco if you buy a set of four. Works out about £92 a corner for PS3's (225 45 R17)

I am a fan of falken fk452's have done a couple of track days with mine and are holding up really well good grip in the wet and dry.

Gereral idea seams to be any of these... Top to bottom depending on budget:

Falken F452 - £80 ea. Never used these so can't comment but loads of people on here seam to use them quite happily.

Uniroyal rainsports - £85 ea. Very good, but agree they're very soft so probably won't be cost effective in the long run. Never used on an S3

Toyo TR1s - £90 ea. Quite highly rated by alot of hatchback forums, didn't like them on the S3 tho as they didnt take much abuse.

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric(v1) £95 ea - My favourite for the price/grip/wear.... Cant find much of a difference between these and PS3s apart from ps3s being a bit stickier in the dry and PS3s maybe a bit better ride. Although starting to become harder to find, so will be trying the V2s next time I change a full set.

Conti sportcontact 3s £105 - Prefered the F1 Asymmetric.

Michelin PS3s £115 - Definitley the best, but not worth the extra over the F1 Asymmetric imo.

Alot will depend on how you drive/use your car. If you never do track days and drive 'safely' on the road I'm sure the Falkens would be fine. We'd have heard about people binning their cars if the Falkens had an unpredictable break away which is really the main reason for avoiding budget tyres.

I had Falken 452's on and they didn't last long at all so they were soon changed for Continental Sport Contact 3's which are leagues a head in every aspect. I've had Toyo T1-R's on my old clio and they were awful, the side wall was far too soft and it gave no confidence in the corners as you'd steer and then after a delay the car would. Parada Spec 2's are a good grippy tyre but again wear down very quick.

I expect you brought the T1-R's in the sizes that don't have a reinforced sidewall, totally changes the tyre and makes then useless. If you buy them in the standard S3 size they are reinforced giving a much stiffer sidewall.

F1 Asymmetric 2 is where its at.

Run them on both my cars, and they are quite simply outstanding.

Depends on the size ofcourse, but the last full set i bought (17") was 400quid.
I managed to get 4 F1 AS2 17" for £356.

I've just gone for a set of yokohama advan ad08, anyone run these before??

never tried them, but in group tests i've seen, they never come near the EagleF1/PS3/Contisport3 in performance.

Wow....what a busy thread! Didn't expect so many responses :)

Will do some comparing on the back of this, thanks guys!

Last edited:
Running Falken 452's at the moment, cant fault them for the price apart from quite a bit of tyre Squeal when out for a spirited drive.

Eagle F1, Bridgestone Potenzas and currently Contisport 3s, all of these I would highly recommend as they have all been really good, the contis are good and the grip on the potenzas was amazing, however they didnt last that long.

I have been running 235/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s for the last 2 months and they are just sensational. According to tests they actually perform better in the wet than any other tyre (and I know it does nothing but rain in the UK!! LOL).

In addition they tend to be a whole lot cheaper than other top spec tyres.

They come with a massive rim protector so they look even wider than they are, and almost give a subtle stretched look.

P6300595.jpg

Excuse the thread resurrection.

I've just order a set of Falken 452 from my local tyre place, fully fitted etc. for £375.

Fingers crossed I'll like them.

Liam

i wouldnt recommend these to anyone. had 4 new put on a car and 2 bulged very badly in under 2k. plus that seems expensive im sorry to say. heard stories of bad batchs of these so hopefully yours will be fine. definately keep those fingers crossed!!

Excuse the thread resurrection.

I've just order a set of Falken 452 from my local tyre place, fully fitted etc. for £375.

Fingers crossed I'll like them.

Liam
Thats a result Liam :applaus:

This is a great thread read through as I need tyres too and picked the toyo TR1's as I have had them before and they seem pretty good when driving in the rain!

i recently got a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's and they seem great so far in rain and dry. much better than my old Pirelli P6000's that were on the car when i got it