Help needed no headlights, side lights problem

Steven Butler

Reaction score
Hi just bought an Audi A3 1.6 1999 and noticed that the sidelights front and back are not working dipped beam also, indicators work and so do the breaklights and indicators etc, I have replaced the fuses to no avail would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks in advance.

Does the headlight switch actually show on the dashboard that the lights are on? Could be a faulty unit, I had to replace mine when the front fogs appeared to have packed in.

Nothing shows on the dash mate the only thing that works is when you pull back on the full beam lever as if flashing someone the light comes on the dash and lights flash but pushing it forward full beam doesnt stay on.

The main beam won't stay on unless the dipped beam is already on. When the side lights are on, a green light should show up in the rev counter area, also the interior lighting such as the heater controls should light up, do any of these come on?

Best guess I would say is then that the light unit has packed up or no power to it. It's easy to remove and check.

All you need to do is, push in the button when it's set to off snd turn it slighty to the right. So it sits between the "O" snd the =><= side light logo. Then gently pull the unit out snd check the blocks on the back are fully on. If so I would remove them and put them back on, making sure there is a good connection.

Thanks Vex just took it off and it's not connected to anything can't see in far enough but just can't see any wires handy that should plug into it.

Cheers. That's the problem then. Prehaps the cable blocks have dropped down slighty behind the dash. Speaking only from the S3, but I have two on the back of mine but I think the A3 should be almost the same.