Loud wining/whizzing noise on start up

HOTTIGGER

Reaction score
hi all as above, my s3 makes a loud wining noise when first started, seem to be only when its cold or bin left for a bit, my m8 said it was the cold start on the air compreser, ive scearched threads for cold start on the air compreser but no joy, its not coming from the starter or aulnater, i could not really tell if it was coming from the air con pump, its a mad loud whining/drilling noise and it sounds pants. it goes off when you drive off or leave it long enough it will seem to wind down and the revs drop to normal, ive comw across threads about sai pumps. could this be wots making my mad noise? can it just be unpluged or sumthing? thanks in advance

i started to get the same a few days ago. at a guess i think its the SAI but not 100%

Think this is common mine does it aswell and it's related to the oil pick up maybe someone else can confirm this? It does no harm as far as im aware.

oil pick-up??

My old pump isnt even a year old. I swear I could right a book about the problems with these cars lol

Sounds like the secondary air intake on its way out. All it does is allow the CAT in your exhaust warm up quicker, hence if you rev the engine from cold it will quieten down quicker and the revs will drop slightly. Search on uk-mkivs.net as there is a how to over there on how to fix them. The noise should be coming from the drivers side front wheel well

hi m8 thanks for reaply, it sounds like its come from the front of the car down by the air con pump , i carnt quite pip point it, it a loud hover/drill type sound.

Sounds like the secondary air intake on its way out. All it does is allow the CAT in your exhaust warm up quicker, hence if you rev the engine from cold it will quieten down quicker and the revs will drop slightly. Search on uk-mkivs.net as there is a how to over there on how to fix them. The noise should be coming from the drivers side front wheel well

mine does the same too but its getting louder my pick up pipe is clean and air con working fine so god nose plus i dont have a secondry air pump on my amk

If its a high pitched squeal type noise its the fans... when it does it again, turn off the aircon by hitting the econ button... if the noise goes its the fans..

Mine does this

<tuffty/>