Power steering pump oil leak

Squirrelofdoom

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Someone had a look at my car recently and mentioned that he thought there was an oil leak coming from the power steering pump...does this make any sense? He said oil was leaking from the sensor, possible around the o-ring between the sensor and the pump. I know nothing about the S3 power steering pump, but does he not mean power steering fluid rather than oil?

I changed the cam cover gasket recently, but under a hard drive I still get a small amount of grey smoke coming up from the back of the engine and I can smell a burning smell in the cabin. Could this be a power steering fluid leak? I don't have any problems with the steering though. Does the location of the smoke make sense for that? Any help would be great as the burning smell is annoying / worrying.

Cheers guys!
Aran

Power steering fluid is an oil so definately something you need to sort ASAP. I say this as someone who recently had to replace pump rack and steering oil cooler its an expensive thing to go tits-up it cost me £1900 at the stealers as the car was undriveable and I needed it fixing ASAP :^(

Hi mate,

Thanks for the info. Should there be any common places I should be looking for leaks? If I find one and replace said part, is it easy enough to top up / bleed the power steering system? Anyone got any pictures of locations of common leaks etc?

Thanks guys!
Aran

Topping up is easy; just add the corrrect Audi PAS fluid to the reservoir and check with dipstick, and just turn steering lock to lock a few times to bleed, the system is not easy to check for leaks as its a plumbing maze, mine was in Audi 3 days before it all let go big time for a service and safety check lol and they didnt spot any leaks, (or so they claim)