smokers - window open, Raining, who gets wet?

clarko

Reaction score
Starting to annoy me, dont like using the ashtray so have always had the window open, is it just a bad aerodynamic design that when the window is open a little in rain you get soaked? no smart ar$es telling me to give up, i like smoking, just dont like getting wet!

Its a poor gutter design on the A3. If the window is down, water will pour into the car from the roof... Very annoying!

Rich

Yes i have noticed this also, esp if you go round a corner it all seems to just slide off the roof and straight onto the arm rest on the door!

is there anything i can do!!!??? apart from the very 80's wind deflector things, anyone remember those???

no sunroof either so i'm stuffed!

I have the same problem - drives me nuts!!

The only thing i could find to stop all the water was a piece of material (ok so it's not overly technical but it worked) which sits perfectly on the top of the door and catches most of the water.

only problem was that i forgot about it one day and put the windows down sending it flying, I think it's still on the M4 betewwn J 8 - 9??

I know one of my friends used an old sock

Maybe we could do a group buy? I think theres three pairs for a fiver at tesco?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

hehe... yeah if it rains during the day , and it's hot aftewards I always forget about the water on the roof, which slides off onto the armrest ( well usually my arm.. when going round a corner of the car park...lol

On my 2002 8L chassis I hate when geting into the car after rain it always pours in off the roof when I sit in, just before I close the door. It always drives me mad.

Sometimes in the mornings there is a little dew on the roof and I drive with the sunroof open, and if I brake any bit hard at all it just runs in on top of the arm rest.

I so want to punch the Audi designer who didnt see this issue - every friggin time i get soaked

I don't smoke any more, but even when I did, I never smoked in the car. IMHO, nothing fouls up a car interior more than smoking. When I am looking at a used car, no matter how well it has been valeted, I can invariably tell if a previous owner smoked in the car, and no matter how good a proposition the car is, I will walk away.

yup, there is few things as vile as a car that smells like a stale ashtray. Get cars like that in for MOTs/repair and the ash is every where /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

As you've said, the only option to your predicament isn't acceptable to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

yeah its ****** horrible when u see ash everywhere in other ppls motors, NOBODY EVERS SMOKES IN MINE EVER!! lol, theyd be shot

Safe to assume you throw your butts out of the window as well then....

My how I love other people's butts bouncing towards my bonnet...

I don't usually condone willy-nilly fining,but I would support it for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I have nothing against smokers,by the way.
I just think that if it's okay to smoke in your car,it should be okay to keep the frigging butt in the car until you reach a bin.

Wire all the dash fan motors to suck instead of blow... maybe they'll even shred your fag butts for you and store them in the pollen filter.

I don't smoke, but I know what you mean about rain coming in whilst driving along. Sometimes its just nice having the window open, and letting some "fresh" air in, but rain also follows. So up goes the window. Anyone know a car that this doesn't happen on?

As for water dropping in when you open the door - my solution is to just run my hand along the curve of the roof just above the door to flick-off the water. OK, wet hand, but less wet than all the water dripping on your seat when you get in.

Sometimes I forget to flick the water off. But if its been raining, I drop the windows down and back up, to clear water off them. If you do this after just setting off, with lots of water on the roof of the car - blimey its amazing how much f###in water comes pooring in. Switches, door panel, seat, leg all p#$$ wet through!!

Sunroof - don't have one, but very funny stories from those who do!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AL

my bmw coupe never ever got me wet. I am thinking of a few ideas to stop this, only prob is making it look almost invisible.......

depends where the butts are, kids have a habit of picking up and eating everything. I have a melted burn mark on the plastic panel below my windscreen by some X"£$£"%£ throwing a butt away, say no more. The odd butt here n there isnt quite as bad as some ignorant git who decides to empty the ashtray at traffic light.

Littering is still littering no matter what speed you are doing, or whether or not is is biodegradable. It upsets me when people throw rubbish out the window, I even saw a guy throw a half full Lucozade glass bottle out the window once. (At least I hope it was lucozade!!!)

Anyhow back to the topic - there are side window deflectors that will work for the smokers, but for us us that get wet just getting in - nothing. Unless there is a way to improve the flow of water in channel on the roof as it's just too shallow.

Click here - Side Window Deflectors

There was a news article some years ago in the local rag of a guy being killed by a discarded cigarette butt as he was removing his petrol tank at the time!

After some extensive testing today I have found the solution, give the car a serious waxing and drive at 90mph everywhere you go. Tested down the M8 today upto 80 I was getting soaked, anything above 90 dry as a camels whatsits

The Audi designers have been asked before why you get wet with the windows open in the rain.

Their answer was the typically German "Why would you want to open the window in the rain?"

It shut me up anyway.

its the steppin into the car that does me tho, lol

I just thought I'd post an update on this one...

I finally got really $£(%*" off with getting wet-through any time I wanted to have the window even cracked half an inch; and I spotted some wind/rain deflectors similar to the ones offered @ cessories.net from a German seller on eBay.

Octimex eBay Shop

£20 plus £12.50 postage and packing as opposed to £50 + P&P; suitable for all 8L A3/S3 (don't worry about it saying 2000 - the window shape on the doors never changed and I can confirm the 3dr 2000 ones fit my 3dr '98R A3. The shop has them for all kinds of other motors too...

They are really well made, fit well, and I might even be brave enough to say look quite good (on my black car at least).

All I need now is a bit of rain to test them out with...

Regards,

Rob.