My First Mod (ambient lighting)

k1ano

Reaction score
Well I started with a simple one ...

After reading some great articles on here and discovering about the ambient light LED which you can buy at Audi I ordered one yesterday and fitted it today in the overhead interior light fitting ... Chesire Oaks Audi ordered the part (8E0 919 063 A) for me with no issues, fortunately I had the guide holes which I had read about which made for easier drilling.

Apologies for some blurry pictures ...

SAM_1471.jpg

SAM_1470.jpg

SAM_1475.jpg

SAM_1476.jpg

SAM_1489.jpg

SAM_1479.jpg

SAM_1485.jpg

SAM_1494.jpg

It might be a bit sad if I said I was waiting for it to get dark, but I expect it will look ok :)

Martin

good stuff.. have these on my m3! would like to do this to my s3!

couple of q's

where do they plug in?

and how much was the bulb unit from audi?

thanks
Dave

Thanks Dave,

I paid £13.44 inc VAT for the LED unit. The unit clips into a slot already in the light unit and there are two connectors which you simply plug the wires onto - the brown and green wires in the picture are in close proximity to their respective connectors which you may be able to see ... It was a very easy mod to do and took about 1/2 hour altogether ...

Martin

Thanks Martin. What size drill bit did you use?

I ended up using a 6mm drill bit but have read that 7 and 9 are also appropriate sizes. I can make the hole bigger if required but not smaller so will see how the 6mm hole gets on ... I noticed that the LED unit has slightly differently angled lights on each side so guess one is directed forward and one back which may be why the holes look like they should be quite big ...

Martin

Looks like a spot on job done to me. Thanks for the info :beerchug:

Do you think this would be the same part number for a non-sunroof facelift S3 8L?

Thank you.

Yes, it is the same part. You can also save few €€ if you simply make it yourself. All you need is a piece of plastic, one small screw and two led's. I used green ones just for test until I bought the right color.
21368659.jpg

21368656.jpg

21368661.jpg

Last edited:
thats cool that, think i might give that ago in a few months, dont spose you know if they do one for the rear aswell do you?

In the rear light I have main switch in the middle, there is no place for led's. If you don't have that switch, maybe you could fit them in with some small modifications, it's not just plug and play like in the front one.