Really strange indicator noise

scubadriver

Reaction score
Recently my 8l s3 has been making a strange screeching type noise every so often from behind the dash. By accident managed to find if you hold the indicator stalk down a tiny bit, so the indicator does not actually come on it makes the noise. It seems to be doing it more often now too?
Anyone know what's making the noise?

Where abouts behind the dash? Behind clocks, stereo/center or glove box? What kind of screeching noise aswell? Maybe get a video of what it does?

Its behind the red triangle above the stereo. Its from the same place that makes the tick tock for the indicator noise.

It could be worn contacts on the indicator/hazard relay. Might be on its way out. Had to change mine recently.

Mine did this, get some silicon spray or WD40/GT85 and try to spray it right into the area where the indicator joins/pivots, if that makes sense. put the straw fitment on and put it into the gap on the steering solumn and just go to town... have some cloth to catch the drips(or torrent depending how much you go to town) then just move the stalk up and down as in turning the indicator on left and right, try to work it in, as it tends to clean the contacts a bit. mine didn't work straight away but after a little while, the WD40 worked it's magic and the noise stopped.

hope this helps, if you need a better explanation i can try :p