I'm Back!!!

danfloun

Reaction score
Hi,

It is now time i need to buy the A3.
i have a couple of weeks to find one, unfortunately i still can decide which model.
the S3 i cant afford, but would love.

The 1.6 petrol engine is what i should go for...
but, i also said if i can find a decent 1.8t i would get that.

But now ive been looking at some nice quattros and its got me wondering whether i should skip the standard 1.8t and go quattro.
So i'm simply asking, 1.8t or 1.8t quattro, i guess thats a stupid question come to think lol.

Errr, is there anything particularly different other than 4wd?
what about Issues unique to the quattro? Is there any?

Appreciate the advice guys, really struggling on this one.

the 1.6 is ****. don't bother.

the quattro is ****. Buy an S3 or don't bother.

Buy a FWD 1.8T, it'll do more MPG than the 1.6, and have twice as much power after a £200 remap.

No brainer matey :)

Reactions: looker89

Buy a FWD 1.8T, it'll do more MPG than the 1.6, and have twice as much power after a £200 remap.

What he said.

Guess i shouldn't bother then lol.
still need a motor though.

The s3 1.8t does more mpg than the 1.6 :faint:

So IYO the A3 are a waste of time?
thought they were, for all intents and purposes, the same.... Other than he body

Guess i shouldn't bother then lol.
still need a motor though.

The s3 1.8t does more mpg than the 1.6 :faint:

So IYO the A3 are a waste of time?
thought they were, for all intents and purposes, the same.... Other than he body

No mate the a3 1.8t is a cracking motor, some say better than the s3 (its not true tho lol) the quattro is poo due to its weight and only gettn 220ish bhp from the ko3s turbo, where as the fwd a3 is lighter and can achieve 220ish bhp also.

i've only had my s3 a few weeks and i think they are a great wee car , the spec is awsome for really little money. the big thing is the fuel and insurance...

No, I didn't say the A3 is a waste of time at all.

the 1.6 A3 is gash. utter ****e. It's an old 8v engine, sodd all power, and not very efficient either, hence it's poor economy and poor power.

The 1.8T is much more modern, and despite developing much more power, it'll give you just as good, if not better mpg than a 1.6 8v.

The quattro system is fat and heavy. This coupled with the lower power of the A3 is crap. The weight makes it slower. The weight makes it less economical. No upsides to that one.....

The S3 has more power, so goes well, but it's still heavy, so economy isn't that good.

the FWD A3 1.8T however, has decent power, AND low weight, so it's fairly quick, and still fairly economical, making it the most sensible choice for an all round, economical, reasonablly nippy car.

Basically, don't buy the 1.6 A3, it has NOTHING going for it. the 1.8 T Quattro is a bit lost, the FWD 1.8T is great, but if you want that bit more class the S3 wins it.

N

Basically, don't buy the 1.6 A3, it has NOTHING going for it. the 1.8 T Quattro is a bit lost, the FWD 1.8T is great, but if you want that bit more class the S3 wins it.

Ok cheers, ive found a nice 1.8t a3 with 70k on on the clock so think i'll take a clooser look.
thanks all

Nice one :)

It appears I was in a bad mood yesterday, haha. Sorry for being a bit short!

Lez-be-on-ist your cutting costs do s3 will be impractical.. Buy a good 1.8t if your after economy. Ever thought about a 1.9tdi quattro? (don't tell me off prawn) :)

Well; I'm still out on this.

There is a very nice mucky yellow/gold tidy A3 1.8t quattro 40 miles from me.
It has 113k on the clock though but is £1450.

There is a very nice red, A3 1.8t very tidy only 70k on the clock with cam belt done at around 50k. It's the facelift model 2002. But I think he's asking too much at £2150, could maybe get him down to £1900, but until I've seen it I won't know whether it's worth that. The vehicle is about 3 hours away from me.

Then there is a 1.9TDi with 99k on the clock, some history, 4 new tyres, rear brake discs and pads and battery. Black. 2001 (x) reg. He wants £2199 ono. 110 miles away.

Of course, the sensible option is the TDi.
Barrrr, could keep looking.