Stacey's Belated Yo Yo Build Thread

StaceyS3

Reaction score
Well have been meaning to do this for a long time and is a bit ironic to be doing it now considering that i have probably completed the best part of the project already, but i have been polluting other peoples threads for to long now and have a fair few of my own which i will link to here and try to consolodate all further tat in one place :)

Ive followed this forum for some time now but really wished i had found it and followed its advise and experiances sooner but we all live and learn, as this was the first car that i had persued the route of performance modifing so has been a very steep learning curve and this forum and the people have been invaluable, as well as making some good friends along the way with hopefully many more to follow :beerchug:

Any how this is the only photo i have got of it in standard form, i know its a crap photo but its the only one ive got (wish i got some more along the coarse of the project)
SDC10200.jpg

The modding journey all started with an AMD stage 1 map and 007p (after i promissed the family and over half i wouldn't modify this one as it was fast and nice enough)
The map when uploaded gave me 2hp originally but after a few boost leaks were sorted and breather pipes replaced this was the outcome
690c397b.jpg

Which was pretty chuffed with but that only lasted about 2 months till when i bought a milltek res cat back and high flow cats, and powertec induction kit and went back to AMD for stage 2
The results were very impressive although i have later learnt that their rollers can be quite happy
c52e54b5.jpg

After this i then started to research a little on th net but not always getting good information including some bad information at the time on a bad front brake set up which all became very clear why my front brakes were ****e about a year later on here
Old996calipers.jpg

DSC00565.jpg

Boxster S/996 carrera rear set up, tried various pads etc and they're on 325mm disks from daveb but always didn't quite cut the mustard but had sold the standards so just changing back was not an option

By this time i had followed audisport for a while and thought might as well join and started posting the odd coment and was finding very good advise on this site and sure i will continue to do so

Any hows i had done a few more mods in the process including coilovers, ah v1 fmic, andymac stealth sub and bought the liquid guage which to this date has been an amazing bit of kit for diagnosing faults etc and would highly reconmend it to anyone
DSC00543.jpg

Next step which i know some people would say is over kill but after nearly being killed due to ****e brakes multiple times i managed to pick up and ecs kit for a mk 5 golf with the cayenne 6 pots for £500 on ebay, and sold the mounting brackets, discs and old set up it only cost me the cost of the paint (£20) with new ebc discs :yahoo: athough hadnt bargined for how expensive some decent pads would be for them
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/134097-ferodo-ds-ebc-stuff.html
IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

And of coarse the ecs discs
IMG_0394.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
Just a few random photos of the stage 1 and 2 states of tune
DSC00512.jpg

DSC00513.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Well after the crave for more power i bought a turbo conversion (MTM) off of ebay which turned out to be a user on here "Pat", i fitted the kit in january 2011 along with and uprated clutch and flywheel as mine had already strated to slip with stage 2 :(
I got the turbo refurbished as it had seen quite a lot of work and set about fitting it all
photo.jpg

photoJPG8.jpg

photoJPG7.jpg

photoJPG9.jpg

I choose this kit as was advised that would be fine on standard internals by the tuning co that deals with these kits so in my eyes was a no brainer as didn't want to fork out on the internals but if i was would have gone for something that make a bit more power, oh hindsight is a wonderful thing :)

Link to a thread with discussion on MTM/QST and my experiance with them http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/147868-mtm-conversions-while-now-ive-wondered-why-they-soooo-expensive.

Long story short took my car for mapping and after having talks about future mods etc came to the conclusion that my inlet temps were to high so he put a base map on and sent me on my way to return with lower inlet temps at a later date

Well all was going ok and was waiting for the ah v2 to arrive at some point the current week as well as some ad08's for nurburgring and me and my friend dave decided to soak the intercooler with a hose to see how much it brought inlet air temps down and it was shocking my temps dropped from >60 degrees to low 20's which in july i though was really good but it only lasted <5miles before suddenly car started missfiring, and sounded like a scooby on idle :think:

Thought it was bound to be the normal coilpack failure etc etc so thought it was a perfect time to take it in to chelmsford audi for the coilpack recall as i was elegible

They first of all told me that my coilpacks weren't the originals with the part numbers in question (they had already been replaced) so wouldn't cover them but they said 2 of mine were dodgy and would replace them but would be at my cost, so as i wanted the car sorted i said go for it to then after paying for the parts and going to leave my car still sounded like a bag of nails, for them to try and shone me off saying it heavily modified and could tell they weren't particularly interested as was using every excuse in the book

So this is where it got interesting, took it home took the plugs out and done a compression test which produced shocking results
Theres another thread here with more in depth details and pics http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...plug-broken-up-ouch-large-port-questions.html

After dismantling moust of the engine and aux in the car we measured the bores and pistons to find they were out of spec, link to thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...1-best-way-remove-block-what-piston-size.html
So that then ment that the block had to come out after all, just a few pics in no particular order during the rebuild
a57ef6ab.jpg

534207f9.jpg

3d9bbe7b.jpg

c3f72776.jpg

9e3e2314.jpg

0cdae01b.jpg

fcb8456e.jpg

a9a8472c.jpg

The head that got damaged by ****** yodel
2d11f62b.jpg

4beb5902.jpg

Reactions: cpc_s3
Now a few pics of the rebuild, which was quite lucky that i could do it at work in my own time of coarse ;)

Block just after rebore
a0ca8c6b.jpg

8fd6836a.jpg

9e6b47b3.jpg

My friend Afjal giving me a hand as he builds engines for a living @ JD Classics who run classic racing cars and participated at goodward festival of speed
1485b061.jpg

a03ffcba.jpg

Plastigauged all bearing surfaces for clearences
cf0e5b58.jpg

6d8e73a7.jpg

aa142283.jpg

28c54013.jpg

90f0dcd0.jpg

Last edited:
Na my friend Afjal but he is friends with Dave, hes currently building a monster efr turbo'd celica gt4 but is long awaited as been working on the chassis for 2 years and last i heard was scrapping off underseal and was going to get it acid dipped ;)

Can see in the last photo that the manifold is new as the previous one had cracked, the main downside is that the wastegate flange had been machined at a slightly different angle so the down pipe wouldn't fit but thought it was a good way to then change over to a 3" downpipe set up and get one custom made but thats another whole incident

In the meanwhile the block kept leaking oil from the headgasket behind cylinder 1 so thought after 2 attempts of doing the headgasket with the same issue would get the head checked (although it was skimmed it got dropped by yodel so wanted to make sure it hadn't bruised at all) the head checked out all alright with less than half a thou difference accross the surface
8de073ca.jpg

Next i tried my best to check the block without removing it from the car and puting it on a datum etc so put a machined bar accross the surface of the block to run a dti along it to clock it
032b449a.jpg

There was less than 0.1mm difference accross the block but this obviously must be enough to not quite seal propperly on that corner?
Any how another friend suggested using a product called wellseal as he uses it on his race car and never had any issues, after looking it up seems it was a really common substance to be used with classics and older cars but he sware by it so gave it a go and it worked :)

Well sort of... you can see evidence of a leak there but can't physically see it leaking where as last time there was a puddle on the floor after 5 mins of idle, and it uses probably 0.5 litre of oil to 1000 - 2000 miles or so, so am happy with that until i get the chance to rebuild it again ;)

At a later date once i stripped the old pistons and rods down i found one to be slightly bent which must of coarsed the broken valve due to the way it had bent
59a1a49c.jpg

f934884b.jpg

Whilst the car was off of the road in many pieces and nurburgring was blatently out of the window at this point i cracked on fitting and moding loads of other bits that were long awaited
Polybushed the whole car which was a complete ****
a3fba910.jpg

f9bf5e56.jpg

Most of the car currently being stored inside it :)
6f07b594.jpg

Little did i know but my car had been in an accident at some point and had different wishbones on it one was an extremely rare tt cast one that was a recall but this meant that the bush sizes where different... what a PITA, so had to get the correct wish bone and bush it to later find out that it put my camber massively out on that side leading to me buying adjustable top mounts :(

Coilpack loom was ******** so replaced this
843ce237.jpg

a5f7e095.jpg

105d82be.jpg

Then sunk my teeth into the ah cooler exchange ( v1-v2 ) and the pipe work to go with

Cooler but with pipes pointing the wrong way :(
ac395469.jpg

e0578ac3.jpg

Ah V1 & V2
a447eaea.jpg

1560ca70.jpg

Pipework is now all sprayed matt black
34caeadf.jpg

Big thanks to tuffty and bill for putting the effort in to get ah to produce this core and another to bill for his efforts with the 3" tip, it made me want one on my car as they use a normal forge/samco tip with a 4 inch long extension with a 55mm bore iirc to go between the turbo and the tip
Started turning a billet adaptor which due to room will then had a 45 degree 3" alloy section welded to it followed by the rest of the tip
2612c52a.jpg

39d0a952.jpg

f2af40fa.jpg

a41563ed.jpg

fb216b96.jpg

Once the car was starting to take shape i cracked on with some more trivial ****e :)

b52684c9.jpg

08bb835f.jpg

9a24b660.jpg

056b5085.jpg

e61c51e0.jpg

Then went on to the wmi which once again same as everything with this car had its issues

95d15757.jpg

e8366e7e.jpg

Can just about see the nozzle at the bottom
d329352a.jpg

Whilst having that area of the dash out i thought i would hardwire the liquid gauge in like tuffty has done so you don't have to renter a password every time you dissconnect the plug
1ec678f4.jpg

552ff471.jpg

Nearly forgot.... the back brakes were upgraded with a kit that i got hold of off DaveB

fbe1729b.jpg

Pic for Paul?? iirc asked me about the rear kit and i said about a spigot ring on the iside of the disc..you can sort of see it in this pic
f7ad246b.jpg

The car was at this point ready and all booked in at Hayward and Scotts for custom exhaust and downpipe

2fbf4935.jpg

The car was then run in for over 700 miles for when i decided to take it to bills for a rolling road day, i ummed and ahhed for most of the morning and eventually got it stuck on bills rollers for a couple of runs, one with the n75 unplugged and it looked reasonable but a bit lean
We then tried a run with the n75 plugged in and it boosted rediculously high and ran very lean so bill backed out of the run, just goes to show how much difference the flow makes as before the rebuild it would only make 24psi and on exactly same mapping it was making 32psi

b35a16fc.jpg

6f8042f0.jpg

The car was currently booked into QST to have the finalised mapping done the week later so all being well would have been on the road all running correctly in the very near future... o how wrong was i
Turns out Kim at QST couldn't or didn't want to map it so back to the drawing board and all booked in at Badger 5

A thread that has got my experiances and feelings about QST post 11 (worth reading if considering using them) http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ow-ive-wondered-why-they-soooo-expensive.html

This is the thread that Bill used to pass on any info or details about the problems he was coming accross with my downpipe set up, once again worth a read as some of this really is quite shocking http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/133324-nightmare-headgasket.html

The downpipe was that loose bearing in mind i had taken it back to them before leaving essex for glouchester and it was loose by the time i got there!

Bill had the car in his capable hands for a few weeks as the ecu had to be sent off to have the mtm eprom removed and of coarse had to try and rectify the downpipe situation, but the final result of leaving bills was that it was producing as much power as the kit should but with less boost and producing a lot of heat due to the tiny size of the hotside of this turbo set up

271a52fe.jpg

13c32572.jpg

And just a final couple of up to date pics, some with the A8 wheels that i HATE (long story but got stitched up) and some with my new OZ's which will be due for a refurb when the weather picks up

b1f99596.jpg

3780725d.jpg

bca03628.jpg

77a7738b.jpg

dba7fc5b.jpg

6b1f6663.jpg

Last edited:
That pretty much brings it up to current date, theres plans in the pipe line ;)

13bbeae0.jpg

A new toy also arrived today
811f47c3.jpg

So will hopefully be using this to keep egts a bit lower and will be modding to run with wmi and use a relay to drop boost off if a fault occurs

The only other bit have been thinking about is whether this manifold and flange will limit my possibilitys with a bigger turbo?

7a20f519.jpg

7d5ea389.jpg

I did do all the calculations and the port size on mine has a surface area of 1846mm2

Where as T25 is 1775mm2

T3 is 2623mm2

But if i port mine to the point you loose the ring on the flange mine will be 2374mm2

The t25 and t3 are only correct if the dimensions that i found are correct for them?
http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/tk010p.jpg
http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/tk030p.jpg

All it is that im looking at fitting a GTX3071r with a 0.63 turbine but in a k26 turbine housing, as they supply these housings for gt28-gt35 but don't want to hit the same obstruction as before (being limited by egt temps) due to the turbo or manifold being a bottle neck?

When Bill mapped it he said you could definately see that the turbo hotside was the restriction on my current set up as it was glowing rather hot ;)

I want a bit more go as now have got supporting mods all round to take it but would like reasonable spool time hence looking at garrett ball bearing turbs as have got a friend thats got a k26 hotside with k27 coldside turbo where as im told the one ive got has a k24 hot and k26 cold but these turbos are old technology and don't particularly want to go down that route?

Your thoughts and opinions are all welcome ;)

Cheers tuffty but the problem im having at the mo is trying to compare the k26 ones they make for the garrett series as theres not many pictures or details on them :(

This is off of the ATP turbo site Audi 5 Cyl. K26 flanged Turbine Housing - GT/GTX30R .63 A/R : atpturbo.com

Lots of other places sell them but only have the same details and pictures and cant really find a lot of info on them on the net as i think a lot of cars that had k26's and k24's and run these hybrids don't have egt sensors like the older audis :(

Keep thinking about a top mount t3 mani with the gtx3071 but its just more money again getting downpipe modded etc where as should just drop straight into place with the k26 housing but its a gamble whether will be able to extract the power from it?

...Keep thinking about a top mount t3 mani with the gtx3071 but its just more money again getting downpipe modded etc where as should just drop straight into place with the k26 housing but its a gamble whether will be able to extract the power from it?

It is what it is mate... feel you r pain... been there a few times myself...

<tuffty/>

awesome thread and tbh u sound like my perfect woman u love cars!! haha :)

Thats alright mate no probs am really quite used to it after all these years ;)

The best one is arguing with my bank or something over the phone when they ask for miss stacey fenton and refuse to talk to me until i put a couple of f's into them and they realise and are suddenly very apologetic lol

Thats alright mate no probs am really quite used to it after all these years ;)

The best one is arguing with my bank or something over the phone when they ask for miss stacey fenton and refuse to talk to me until i put a couple of f's into them and they realise and are suddenly very apologetic lol

lol sounds like a right laugh...why do u hate them A8 wheels they look rather cool it could look as **** as mine with standard wheels on!

I had one of the rstt reps crack in 2 places due a pothole and had a local tyre dealer come out and pic me up and the knackered wheel, as my car had no spare at the time and me and my other half both used the car to commute to work days and nights as she did't have her own car so was pretty desperate to get it sorted asap so paid the tyre dealer to get some newer rs4 reps in that day in the idea id be back on the road same day, and when they came back after waiting 2 hours for them to get them they had the A8 wheels and they claimed that they were the ones i told them that i wanted etc etc and knew that i wasn't in a position not to have a car so had to buy them and the ***** wouldn't even give me any money off as it wasn't they're **** up?? and said take it or leave it with my car stuck in a public car park on an axle stand, think it cost me <£600 for reps :faint:

Gradually over time each time i looked at the car i started to dislike them more and more in frustration

They're personally not my favourite alloys but i never used to dislike them think its just the thought of wanting to squeeze this little tyre dealer through the gap in the spokes ;)

Reactions: dj enzo and wheatobear
awesome thread and tbh u sound like my perfect woman u love cars!! haha :)

Cheers but you really don't know how wrong you have got it LOL ;)

All ill say is i didn't get to pick my name :)

LMAO!!!

Sorry Stacey but you must get that alot ;P

wheatobear... you have no idea lol

<tuffty/>

wow u got royally shafted!! shud have paid him then beat him up and took ur money back... lol

Certinally wanted to at the time was very close to ringing his neck each time he said another word lol

Certinally wanted to at the time was very close to ringing his neck each time he said another word lol

haha im sure we have all been there before... i need to find some new wheels... got my coilovers... just want some better wheels!

Yeah will be using an excessive plenum saw them months ago and it was between that the rmr d plenum and the obx inlet Mani (rmr manifold knock off) with even coming very close to buying an sem but had eventually decided to go with the cheapest option....well what I thought was until I went to check out and they seriously rape you on the postage (rmr plenum) :(
But seeing you doing yours has really urged me on to do mine and go the same route as in plenum as there's not much in it price wise ;)

Is it going to be long till yours is on the rollers as should definately be getting good results with your set up ;)

Last edited:
intrested thread, never realised you had so many problems... must have missed nearly all of your posts. It seems like nearly every job has had to be done at least twice.

lmao wheatobear

Yeah certinally feels that way my advice to anyone else don't try and cut corners or do things on the cheap, or sometimes not even on the cheap do it once and do it properly with tonnes and tonnes of research ;)

awesome thread really enjoyed reading it makes me wanna go to tuning college or somethin lol. im good with cars id say but nowhere near this good

Thank you very much but I knew nothing before hand I'm a time served mechanical engineer and now a qualified electrician, although got lots to learn on the electrical side yet (having the bit of papers not everything) as I'm only 24 but needless to say always been a petrol head and had a basic understanding of how an engine worked but my biggest problem was I was more than capable to do 90% of things due to my trade but confidence with cars was through the floor as only changed my first set of plugs just before stripping the engine to bits ;)
Have to say had a MASSIVE amount of help and advise from bill over the coarse of the build as most over tuners answer was well if you bring it to us and we'll have a look
I also had a friend help me build the bottom end as had never seen one in bits and it was a no brainer as he does it for a living but all in all it's a lot less scary than everything first seems :)

Stacey you sounded like my perfect woman till I met you and I think you're a bit to butch for my liking :moa:

You have had some serious bad luck here bud but you know that engine like the back of your hand now.

I'm pretty sure you'll have the turbo situation sorted in the near future :eyebrows:

i think i just worry too much about always having to get things right first time but from now on im just gonna try ideas and if they fail try another. il get there with my build one day. to be completely honest i just wanna pull my engine out and rebuild it

Stacey you sounded like my perfect woman till I met you and I think you're a bit to butch for my liking :moa:

You have had some serious bad luck here bud but you know that engine like the back of your hand now.

I'm pretty sure you'll have the turbo situation sorted in the near future :eyebrows:

Couldn't even finish the first sentance without ******* myself laughing ;)

And I think your right mate will definately sort something out...... But what is the question ;)

I have more to come as i'm going to ditch the maf and make a 4in/102mm TIP
naughty.gif

.......but will you ever actually get it finished and running is the question... mod after mod after mod, delaying the actual getting it running bit...

you scared of what it might do or summat? :p lol

and as for 4" intake - enjoy

IMAG1624.jpg

Last edited: