now i can stop !!

amb276s3

bird spotter
Reaction score
just got rid of greenstuff front and oem rear pads on a brembo gt jnr and tarox 308 rear drilled disc setup, now running ferodo ds2500 all round, and wow, the difference is really noticable, great stopping power when cold at last, minimal fade just cant believe i left it so long before changing... also a lot more quite when braking, imo the greenstuff ruined the drive now i can have fun again....
ps pads removed were less than a quarter worn when measured against new ones. AB

Just got greenstuff & EBC discs all round, what a difference from worn OEM!! How much braking do you chaps need, honestly?? I find looking further up the road helps! Could be biker road knowledge, I don't know.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just got greenstuff & EBC discs all round, what a difference from worn OEM!! How much braking do you chaps need, honestly?? I find looking further up the road helps! Could be biker road knowledge, I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

The standard brakes are w*nk. Really! Once you've driven a car with proper brakes i changes your perspective on whats good and whats not. The standard brakes will start fading fast after about 2 speedy hard brakes... big brakes just keep on stopping!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The standard brakes are w*nk. Really! Once you've driven a car with proper brakes i changes your perspective on whats good and whats not. The standard brakes will start fading fast after about 2 speedy hard brakes... big brakes just keep on stopping!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure big brakes are much better... I didn't think the standard brakes were that bad though. Much better than any of my previous cars! But yeah, depends what you're used to, and what you're using them for I guess. I wouldn't have thought the EBC replacements would cut it on for a trackday.

like timbo i cannot see the point of big brakes....

if i understand correctly...the main problem is the OEM caliper.. it doesnt put even pressure on the pad and causes heat spots...thus the fade

is there a better calliper that will fit the OEM discs for those people that dont want to spend a grand on the big conversion?

what about the r32 brakes?? can they be fitted as i understand they are bigger than s3 brakes? or do they suffer the same problem as they use the same caliper?

[ QUOTE ]
like timbo i cannot see the point of big brakes....

if i understand correctly...the main problem is the OEM caliper.. it doesnt put even pressure on the pad and causes heat spots...thus the fade

is there a better calliper that will fit the OEM discs for those people that dont want to spend a grand on the big conversion?

what about the r32 brakes?? can they be fitted as i understand they are bigger than s3 brakes? or do they suffer the same problem as they use the same caliper?

[/ QUOTE ] The r32 callipers, although better are still only twin piston sliding calliper so will give the same unever pad wear and not the same power as 4 piston (2 per side of disc) callipers.

[ QUOTE ]
thats what i thought.

so is there an affordable 4pot calliper that will suit the s3 and enable the use of the standard size discs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could buy some GT calipers and get brackets made to fit them to standard discs, costs soon mount up though.

Brembo GT Junior kit can be had for £700 .. excellent price for the braking IMO.

A

I am def gonna get the Brembo GT Junior once i have the cash, but on the basis my pads need changing soon, is there any recomendations other than standard?

I used Mintex 1144's on my Saxo with black diamond disks and they were great for that.
Any other options please say.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Timbo, I found braking from cold an issue with g/stuff pads at around 10-30 mph just didn't fill me with confidence, your setup seems to work for you , good , however after driving 1000 miles + weekly in commercial vehicles for 19 years, any brakes on any car are a welcomed change. AB

I agree the Greenstuffs take a while to warm up... it's taken me a bit of getting used to. I've also found that during long stints on the motorway where you're not touching the brakes often they can cool down again too and the power isn't there when you go to use them. They're such an improvement over the standard ones though (even cold) I can put up with it!

My pads & discs were a cheap upgrade though at the end of the day - I guess if you've shelled out on a GT Jr. setup you'd want everything to be perfect.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif