Help?

Scott199

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a S3 its a Red 2001 1.8T and only has 32000 miles in the clock?
its up for £6000 is this a good price for its age?

Thanks,

It could be but it would depend on other factors such as condition etc.

Do you have a link to an advert?

Its a fairly high price for the car, mileage is low and its worth checking if its genuine as well, you can do MOT History checks and also a HPI check as well to see if you can match it up and verify its history.

You will need to provide some more info to get a more accurate idea of price for the car.

I'd be suspicious of a car with mileage that low unless there was every MOT in a folder. I'd still check the other obvious things like steering wheel, pedal rubbers, driver's door side bolster, seat belt retraction speed. Even then, it's 3k miles a year, so probably lots of short journeys so engine won't have warmed up properly.

General wisdom is that very low mileage isn't necessarily a good thing.

If its all genuine and you can have a deal on the price happy days
Just make sure you do the obvious checks and listen to what the lads on here have told you

Red S3 not too many of them about!
I'd love an S3 with this many miles, mines on 193000 so there's a lot of life in that car IF IT'S GENUINE

Check the history carefully. I'd have a similar concern as jcs356 re a very low mileage car. It may have done a load of very short journeys or even been left standing for extended periods of time which isn't a good thing. But then again if the history is reliable and it drives well then you may have found a real gem. I think I'd check all the paperwork and give it a good test drive. If all looks good then go for it.

hmmm
overpriced by a lot.
you can pick up a cheap one and follow the advice above.
pay 3 or 4 and keep 2 for upgrades.
these cars can become expensive, once you start modding.
remap, suspension and other handling mods soon become a must have and 2 g will get a few decent upgrades.
you have been warned but good luck.
Dont touch the mtm one on ebay in oxford.
theres a thread just started on that car.

Sorry to sound a bit biased on this, but why is £6k too much for this S3? I agree to a certain extent that 32k miles in 10 years is mega low, but there nothing to say this car is not a MINT example.

Have a look how much it would cost you to buy a low mileage(under 60k miles!) Mk2 Golf GTI 16v! OK, the golf is now pretty much a classic car which the S3 isn't quite yet, but when things are original and low mileage, you can bet that someone out there is willing to part with that type of cash for it! The 8L S3 was discontinued in 2004, so finding a mega low mileage one isn't as easy as it sounds.

Just my opinion of course.

if miles are genuine then with a full service history and no outstanding issues with a good bodywork and interior, imo it is worth £6,000, i got £4,650 for mine with teething issues (crap kerbed wheels, stone chips, the odd mark here and there, small amounts of rust on wheel arch)

I've got to agree with Jojo on that. 6K for a 32K good looking s3 is not necessarily over priced. OK so you wouldnt pay that much for it, then dont, go elsewhere and pay 3-4K

"you have been warned"?? No, you have been told what to look out for. And if its genuine then you pay for what you get. And i wouldn't flame anyone for doing so either

Yea as i said before everyone is just speculating as there is not enough info on the car, either link the advert or give us something else to go on.

sorry
the you have been warned in the context of modding the car. ie it gets expensive.
But still 6K for 11 yr old car.
I paid 3.7 for mine.
with a full service history from audi. no rust, no issues and now im upgrading and it is expensive.
I bought mine from a garage and is 2000 APY with all the creature comforts audi bolted on.
just my thoughts on buying a s3 and not meant to **** ppl off sorry if it did.
regards