What petrol do you use....?

I

imported_Wicked666

According to my manual, I should be using at least 95 ron super unleaded. I use shell so have been filling up with Optimax which is guaranteed not to be less than 98 ron.

Can i get away with premium unleaded or not recommended? Optiamx is now 90p/litre!

ive always put optimax in mine, i aint tried anything else, its expensive but hey

I've used optimax since i got my s3

my thoughts are - i paid quite a premium for my s3 over a 1.8tq, so why try to save a few quid on petrol!

today in glasgow 89.9p for litre of optimax. maybe if you one of the unfortunate priced closer to a quid, fair enough.

I've always used Optimax too....i believe you pay for what you get and it is better for the engine so in the long run it cant be bad!.......what engine oil are you gonna use a good branded highly developed one or some cheap generic brand! We all have a choice and as always quality costs!

Optimax here. 91.9p though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Occasionally use Optimax but not sure I can really tell any difference.

"Normal" 95RON will not damage the engine.

Cheers guys. Lots of posts from S3 owners which is reassuring.

I do notice a difference with optimax, maybe its just me knowing i've used it. Think I will keep using it unless i'm doing some great 200 mile round trip somewhere then I might think of using the premium stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I use Optimax. I tried normal unleaded (95 RON) once and will never do it again.

Worth the extra couple of quid to fill up in my opinion!

ImolaS3 - can you say why you will never do it again - what difference did you notice?

Indeed optix will give an increase in power due to it higher octane which enables the engine to reduce the amount of ignition advance.

The question was whether he can "get away" with normal unleaded, which of course the answer is yes.

I do 350 miles a week, so I use 95 unleaded to keep my fuel bills down a tad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Optimax for weekends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ImolaS3 - can you say why you will never do it again - what difference did you notice?

[/ QUOTE ]
Reduced throttle response... the car seemed sluggish! I noticed the difference as soon as I pulled out of the petrol station!

I use any of the 'premium' fuels - so Optimax, Ultimate or Esso Super Unleaded. Would prefer to use Optimax but Shell kindly closed all their stations near me and I don't want to drive 10 miles just for petrol!

I noticed an improvement in MPG when using optimax. All i need to work out now is if the extra im paying for optimax is being saved by the better MPG. If thats the case, then its a win-win situation.

optimax

used to run on BP premium stuff but when i took my car to be mapped by Jabba it wouldnt respond to the higher grade fuel map with BP Ultimate

have since heard that BP ultimate is quite poor petrol

optimax all the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was of the opinion that Optimax was a con, there was some very convincing data posted here to confirm that it made little if no difference.

So for the last six months I have been using ordinary unleaded. Last week I pulled up at a very busy filling station and found I was stopped at an Optimax and diesel pump. Wait for 10 minutes or fill up with Optimax.

I did the latter, and I must admit the difference in the performance is very noticeable. Instant throttle response, the car is now very eager and it goes like the clappers.

Optimax for me from now on!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Always optimax but I have been known to have a little of Q8's 98 ron when I'm desperate.

Its 94p/l here in Cambridge atm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

I always fill up with Optimax. I did even with my last car (which was only a little MGF). I once read an independent article in Evo magazine where they used Optimax on a few of their fleet cars for 1000 miles. They took photos of the valves with an endoscope before and after the test and the difference was noticeable, especially on their BMW M Coupe. It really did clean up the valves a lot. From that point on I used Optimax.

I always use optimax in my evo and the general consensus on lancerregister.com is for optimax.especially for those with tweeked motors

[ QUOTE ]
According to my manual, I should be using at least 95 ron super unleaded. I use shell so have been filling up with Optimax which is guaranteed not to be less than 98 ron.

Can i get away with premium unleaded or not recommended? Optiamx is now 90p/litre!

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first bought my S3 last year I used Optimax at first but after the price hikes started to use normal unleaded (albeit from BP or Esso, not that crappy supermarket fuel). I can honestly say I didn't notice any difference except that it cost me less!

Now I've had it chipped I've gone back to Optimax/Ultimate for obvious reasons, however, I'd say if your running a standard TQ don't bother paying the premium for Optimax. Waste of money IMO.

Supermarket fuel is the same as "branded fuel". The only difference is the additives which are added at the refinery for the company it is delivered to.

[ QUOTE ]
Supermarket fuel is the same as "branded fuel". The only difference is the additives which are added at the refinery for the company it is delivered to.

[/ QUOTE ]

And these additives make a difference to performance and cleanliness so Supermarkets are best avoided.

[ QUOTE ]
I still can't believe that in the US, their regular unleaded is only 89ron, and super/optimax equivalent is 93 or 95 (can't remeber which exactly).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong... They use MON not RON...Its a different rating. Their 95 is actually about 98RON.

Rich

Just looked into it and they use RON (road octane number) which is an average of the RON and MON. But your right about the figures

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And these additives make a difference to performance and cleanliness so Supermarkets are best avoided.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll see if I can gid out a report I had on the subject. You may be surprised.

It would be interesting to see the same S3 rolling roaded with normal shell unleaded and optimax to see what the actual difference is.

I've never used optimax on the S3 and at 91p i'm not likely to either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

it wouldn`t be apparent straight away would it ??? you would need to try it after a few tanks to let the car settle in on the good stuff ????

Maybe, but in his post above, bampy said he noticed an immediate difference when he left the petrol station /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

My sister ran a station in my town and the truck that delivered to them (Statoil) also delivered to the others (Esso, Texaco and some supermarket ones). Other named trucks even collected from the same place at the docks in the port, where they have storage tanks.

So why do they all have different prices? Any why does the price of a barrel on the stock exchange instantly effect the price of petrol? Is the knock effect that fast?

I don't normally use Optimax but I will give a try to see what it does for my A3.

[ QUOTE ]
It would be interesting to see the same S3 rolling roaded with normal shell unleaded and optimax to see what the actual difference is.

I've never used optimax on the S3 and at 91p i'm not likely to either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But the handbook says that Optimax ideally should be used, and if using 95ron, there will be a loss of power.

Surely they wouldn't put that in if it weren't true? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My sister ran a station in my town and the truck that delivered to them (Statoil) also delivered to the others (Esso, Texaco and some supermarket ones). Other named trucks even collected from the same place at the docks in the port, where they have storage tanks.

So why do they all have different prices? Any why does the price of a barrel on the stock exchange instantly effect the price of petrol? Is the knock effect that fast?

I don't normally use Optimax but I will give a try to see what it does for my A3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Supermarkets often sell petrol at a loss as they can afford to. It attracts the punters in who tend to shop and get petrol at the same time.

As for optimax against normal unleaded, without a doubt, you should feel a difference. Basic engine science says that a higher octane fuel will resist knock better, thus less ignition advance and more power.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
100 ron when it comes out!

[/ QUOTE ]

is there a plan for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

uk-mkivs.net and seatcupranet have a press release from shell on them

I also heard that optimax is going and use the 100 RON around europe which is even better then optimax. Hope the price doesn't go up though..

if it does get introduced im gonna have to get the revo tinkered with

[ QUOTE ]
I also heard that optimax is going and use the 100 RON around europe which is even better then optimax. Hope the price doesn't go up though..

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called V-Power... will be more expensive than optimax...probably £1/litre i would have thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif