Which wheels for track use??

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Im hoping to fit some new wheels to my S3 soon, They are probably more show than go, But i do intend on track time a few times next year... so my options are... use my standard S3 avus wheels with some good rubber ( feel free to recomend something good for track use ) or as my new wheels are 18's should i try and find some 18's for track use??

Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 for track use

Im trying to get a set of oz super leg... 's but the owner keeps moving the bar when it comes to a deal...

You're kinda stuck there. 17inch Avus are heavier but the tyres in that size will be cheaper and you can also go for something quite hard-core as it will be track use only; if you want to fit track tyres on your existing 18s for every day driving then you'll be compromising somewhere on - wet weather grip / wear rate / grip on track - depending upon which tyre you go for.

I ran my old Ibiza on the OE wheels with track specific semi-slick tyres that were cheap as chips as they were 14 inch.
On the Cordy I've had a set of OE wheels in 15 inch (has bigger brakes) but I've been looking for and finally found a set of Comp MO 5 spokes with R888s on them ready for next season's track day fun.

If money's no object, go for some lightweight 17s like OZs, Compomotives or Team Dynamics as suggested and keep them for track use only with something like R888s or other semi-slicks.
If cash is tighter, I'd keep the Avus's as track wheels and use a similar semi-slick tyre.

I used my old 17" avus but have since sold them and bought some 5x112 audi wheels to fit my hub adapters. Anyway the tyres I have are Yokohama Advan 048Rs. They are a road legal slick and are great on track.

The beauty with the 17" yoko tyre is that they came as the standard tyre on the rear wheels of any lotus exige. I managed to pick up 4 ex exige tyres for £30 a tyre! They are £170 brand new :faint: keep an eye out on eBay for them.

With regards to wheel weight. The S3 avus wheels are 12kgs each without a tyre on so are quite heavy. They will be fine for amateur track days. You only need to worry about super light wheels if you're going to get serious, so not loose and sleep over that too much.

Personally I'd opt for team dynamics pro race 1.2.
Light
Very available
Comparatively cheap
And id get the in 17, I believe 18 don't offer adequate side wall for hard cornering.
They also look bad *** in black

17's for track use for sure, simply because, 18'' track rubber is CRAZY money!

If I were you, I'd buy yourself some nice bling 18's for daily use, and some second hand part work track tyres from ebay as Westy and I have done.

I recently picked up 6 part worn A048's for just £98!

Im liking this thinking prawn/westy.
But please dont buy all the part warn track rubber ! i need 4!!!!

My personal opinion is it handles better with 18s.

You think? I've found mine much more friendly on 17's.

I think the main factor is weight rather than size, but the added sidewall height of my 17's does make them ride a bit better, and it feels more chuckable too.

18's for looks, 17's for handling I reckon, although so much is again down to tyre choice as well!

Paul: I shouldn't be buying any more for alittle while, in the past 3 weeks we've bought a total of 8 A048s!

I think the main factor is weight rather than size, but the added sidewall height of my 17's does make them ride a bit better, and it feels more chuckable too.

18's for looks, 17's for handling I reckon, although so much is again down to tyre choice as well!

Paul: I shouldn't be buying any more for alittle while, in the past 3 weeks we've bought a total of 8 A048s!

Did you test out the yokos on your last track outing Nick? What did you think?

It might be an S3 thing, I found that I could carry more speed through a certain well known road on 18s than on OEM 17s, though my 18s I was running at the time was lighter BBS RCs. On the 17" Avus rims, I just didn't feel confident, though I've never actually driven an S3 with sticky/track tyres!

Mine are still good for another track day or 2 so I'm not after any just yet. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you matey.

Thanks mate,
The ones you saw on ebay have gone already, ...
Oh well,
I will find some

Thats just my luck,
I was stuck at work .

Ive contacted the seller.
There wasnt any bids... i hope my luck changes...

i would use the 17's and usually you can find track tyres with a lower than standard profile, effectively lower your gearing and improving acceleration - use the gears more effectively...

generally speaking normal gearing on a road car is a bit long for track use....