Have i broke it? 1.8T

camscockle20vT

The stigs ugly brother
Reaction score
So yet again i solve one thing just to discover another! The question is, have i done somthing to the engine as iv been running my car with a hole in the pipe from the intercooler to throttle for probley a few months now. I hear i slight rattle when on low revs for a few seconds and then its fine.im hoping its just somthing loose. Any help and suggestions please.

Thanks Adam

Does it go away when you put the clutch down?

What sort of rattle is it?

hole in an inter-cooler could possibly mean a foreign object has the ability to enter the combustion chamber and do damage to the valves on the way in and out as well as do some damage on the piston

if i were you i'd get it sorted asap and i would not drive the car until i did, if the hole is small, you'll be ok, but i would not chance it

Yeh the hole is on the bend just off the throttle body, iv bodged it up for now but am in the process of changing it from coldside back to normal. I take it the TQS pipe should fit my AUM. The rattle is only on ver low revs, so i think it may be the exhaust heat sheild(hope) but iv had that before and it dont sound as tinny and sounds like its coming from the engine.

Have you got standard side mount intercoolers? Where is the hole and how big is it? Any pics?

Yes mate standard smic. No pics yet but when i have the ****** off properly ill take a pic.

Does it go away when you put the clutch down?

What sort of rattle is it?

Yes as the revs drop off, the rattle isnt as consitant as when i had the thrust bearin on its way out on a previous audi tho and i can only hear it since i bloked up the hole in the pipe.

Strange, probably just dislodged something. Check the heat shield which runs over the driveshaft under the turbo, I had a big old stone in there which was making a hell of a racket!

Yeh my drive shaft and cv boots have seen better days! Thanks for the suggestions all, much appreciated :)

Will the pipe in question be the same as one from a 1.8TQS?? I have a 1.8t Aum. Thanks.