MAF

iancooney

Reaction score
Right

I know there have probably been millions of posts about this on the site before, but having spoken to someone about my TQ's probelm (a BIG stuuter at 2500rpm) i have come to teh conclusion that i need a MAF.

I live in the Glasgow area - does anyone know where i could get one and have it fitted?

Would really appreciate some advice!

Cheers Folks

some audi dealers do an exchange, taking a deposit until you return the duff one.

its a diy fit job.

Im going to try clean mine 1st - what exactly do you use ie make and where to buy it from? Im heading to Glasgow this weekend if that helps...

After reading up on this on the web, people seem to suggest 99% pure isopropyl alcohol (available at electronic stores).

lol Khufu!

Maplin have it, CPC have it, RS have it etc etc

As ISOPA evaporates very quickly, get hold of a freezer bag, or zip lock bag big enough to hold the maf, fill with ISOPA and gently agitate the bag, you will probably not notice any discolouration of the liquid but that doesnt mean to say it isnt cleaning the sensor! They often get coated with a thin film of oily residue which reduces the sensors effectiveness/sensitivity.

Dont be tempted to force the drying process just leave open to the air for an hour or so...

my mile per gallon also improoved from when i put high grade oil a new filter and cleaned the MAF with electric cleaner, went up about 7 miles per gallon

BTT

dealers to install one of these - or is there somewhere i can buy one on the net and fit it myself?

Couldn't find anything to do with MAF filters on there

email them. what they show on their website is only a fraction of what they sell.

if they cant get you it cheaper or quicker than audi (depending on your needs), they will advise you to go to audi.

I did a quick log of engine speed and mass air flow today to check out the condition of my MAF.

I must be the luckiest bloke here. My MAF is 117000 miles old and covered in goo, yet it still works fine!

Check it out, its still reading approx 130g/s at 6300rpm (standard peak reading should be about 120-130 on a standard 150bhp A3).

MAF_Sensor_Graph.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

BTW, first peak is second gear, second peak is third gear.

right.........

how did you do that?!

This MAF things is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif me off now, i just want a smooth acceleration, its a damn shame for a car like this.

[ QUOTE ]
right.........

how did you do that?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Using VAG-COM, do a log of measuring block 002. This will produce an excel spreadsheet. You can see the values there. I then did a chart using the excel chart wizard (or just press F11).

Basically you should see 0.80g/s for every hourse power.

So a 1.8T will be 150 x 0.80 = 120g/s
a 210 S3 will be 210 x 0.80 = 168g/s
225 S3 will be 225 x0.80 = 180g/s