time for a turbo upgrade, suggestions please....

slowcoach3

Reaction score
Ok, my friend has just bought a 350bhp Evo and i'd like to be able to stay in his mirror... I already have an AGU with a ko3s, 3 Dp, decat, forge DV etc and REVO map, i'm intending to go for an r-tech stage 2 but thought now may be the best time to go for a turbo upgrade rather than have another map then do it in 6 months time, so i'm looking for turbo suggestions that will require the least amount of extra hardware... I realise that any new turbo requires a huge amount of work and expense just interested to see what people think....

Whats your budget? I would say my conversion has cost me well over £5k it maybe double that but i would rather not think about it.

What power are you wanting? 400 bhp by the sound of it thats if you want to keep up or even overtake him?

GT3071r would be my suggestion

CR Turbo's KO3s Hybrid will be the best bet for you Russ. :thumbsup:

A set of Saab red top injectors, a VR6 MAF bodged up and an XS Power manifold then mapped to suit :)

Whats your budget? I would say my conversion has cost me well over £5k it maybe double that but i would rather not think about it.

What power are you wanting? 400 bhp by the sound of it thats if you want to keep up or even overtake him?

GT3071r would be my suggestion

If I give you 5k, can you do mine please lol

Dude, just buy another car, a3 is not a good platform for that kind of power... IMO of course

I know its not the best platform but I love my car! Even a remapped s3 doesn't come close to the fun of my a3, i'm not looking for 350bhp but 300 would be nice.

Check out prawns track car thread, his a3 smashes evo's ( possibly poorly driven ones ) round castle Combe, I was there, he made them look like fools. That's just with a ko3s and a massive diet for the car.

I know but who really wants an Evo? For me the whole point is to have a very fast version of a car I already love.... C R Turbo hybrid sounds good so far, I know it will never get silly figures but numbers arn't all of it, they're just nice.... Is it better than a ko4 though?

Do it mate, I have an AGU and would love to see where you take yours, bolt a KO4 hybrid on :)

What will a gt28r run at? Is it hugely better than a ko3 hybrid? I like what Welly and Tufty have done with the S3, surely it is possible with the A3?

Ye it is possible on an A3. A lot of the mk4 boys run bigger turbos than KO3s, might be worth a look on there??

Cheers fella, didn't think I'd have to look on a VW forum rather than Audi!

Id say a ko4 hybrid because they parts are fairly easy to get off donor cars but they are not exactly reliable or easy to set up judging by recent hybrid builds.

How about a gt28 variant in kit form from thw likes of backdraft motorsport.
You do realise that any bigger turbo job is going to involve internals and costs of over 3k even if doing work yourself

Yeah I get the costs involved, I'm getting pretty useful with a spanner so I'd hope to be able to do alot of the work myself, I'm lucky to have a very good mechanic who is enthusiastic in this kind of project, VAG is not his forte but hes a modder himself so he'll do alot just for fun... I'd prefer to spend a couple of k on a car I know and love than get a new one and start from scratch not knowing where its been

Ko4 hybrid
550cc injectors
s3 maf a3 housing
ko4 manifold..or something better ideally
3" dp
custom remap
+ all the supporting mods inc FMIC/ brakes/ sussy
Not much change out of 5k...esp with rods..
If you shop around and are prepared to wait there are bargains to be had on ebay/piston heads, ive just bought some brand new genesis injectors for £150!!

Last edited:
hugeturbo.jpg

This is the blatant answer to what turbo you should get!

That one on edition looks tempting, would getting good traction not become an issue though at those sorts of power levels on 2wd?

Seriously guys, KO3s hybrid would be a much better option for him. Much less work, much less mapping, good power and it's rod and diff friendly. A KO4 or a GT is too much power for the platform and the internals.

Well big turbo can be done, yes internals will need to be replaced if it nears the 280-300 mark and traction would be an issue, depends on the budget.

A KO3 hybrid would be my choice simply for ease in comparison to a KO4. I would imagine it would cost 1500 for a KO3 hybrid and map and should see 250-260 I think, I may be wrong though

just found this on MKiv's

Wanted to add a few comments as I'm running a CR Turbos k04-001 Hybrid - essentially the same as a K03 hybrid with RS6 internals. Peaks at around 23 psi.

Manifold wise - currently using a THS manifold and before that a Kinetic Motorsport one.

As for reliability - coming up to a year running the hybrid turbo at different stages of tune and no issues with the turbo. Around 12000 miles.

Bearing in mind that cost wise if we are looking at a completely standard car then ideally the following need to be changed to get the most of the hybrid. Many people do some of these modifications when chipping their car to stage 1. It's not cheap when you add it all up. Also there is the cost of fitting which some can do them selves and save more.

Cost wise - have included eBay suppliers here. For example I use an eBay FMIC and it actually performs very well - was cheap - ****** to fit.

Here are the main parts I feel you would need:
£150 FMIC - possible to pick up an eBay one in an auction. Can also use uprated SMIC such as EuroJet.
£195 THS Manifold
£0 Use your existing Turbo
£650 Hybrid work - looks like the price has gone up
£30 3" MAF - come up on eBay
£100 S3/TT225 Injectors - from breakers or eBay
£500 custom remap - possible to pay less
£105 Forge uprated diverter valve from their site
£142 Forge TIP from their site
£45 Jetex Cone filter - buy direct from them
£100 Cupra R Fuel Pump - breakers, pay much more from Seat Dealer
£100 3" Down pipe from Ebay - gt3turbo do an ATP MOT friendly decat for £200
£200 Exhaust System from eBay - £300 for a known brand

So over £2000 plus labour.

It's easy to spend over a £1000 doing the stage 1 mods.

Also worth considering the other package deals available from tuners where they supply and fit a complete turbo kit.

As for on the road performance - it's quick enough for me. There are plenty of faster cars out there. I like the way the power is delivered and it will hold it's own with an Evo 7 and a Classic scooby with FMIC. Guy driving the scooby gave the thumbs up so I guess he thought it was ok.

Thanks
Simon
END QUOTE

he is running this on an AGU. i suppose you can do without a few of those things as well like fuel pump and other mods you already have so i can be done cheaper, will you fit the turbo yourself???

The internals won't need to be done at 300bhp, as long as it's mapped properly.

Really? I'm sure I was reading a thread where the S3 boys were saying to change rods at 280 bhp as they can go???

Its the torque not the power. AGU has the 20mm wrist pins so is a bit stronger but still i`d probably get it done for peace of mind.

Really? I'm sure I was reading a thread where the S3 boys were saying to change rods at 280 bhp as they can go???

It's all down to the boost you are running at and how the car is mapped, if you've got a big turbo that isn't working very hard offering 16psi for a long period of time it's not going to put the engine under half the stress a small turbo banging out 24psi for 2K is. I'm going for a Ko3s hybrid, and I'll be running that on stock internals.

You only have to look at Prawns car to see that they can run that sort of power, best part of 220K on the clock having had the tits thrashed out of it for the last 100K, been to the ring a load of times, done dozens of track days and it's never had the head off it. And he's just bought a hybrid and still has no intention of taking the head off.

Welly didn't have rods on his, and I'm pretty sure they were fine until an actuator problem? (weren't they?)

Last edited:
just remember one thing - the money you put into the car will pretty much be lost

you'd just be better off selling your car and getting something else with more power as standard!

Its the torque not the power. AGU has the 20mm wrist pins so is a bit stronger but still i`d probably get it done for peace of mind.

AGU trumps again!!!!!
Nice to know.

Ye I suppose it how the power is delivered and the torque, if you pay for a decent map it will be easier on the rods compared to a cheap high power map.

As has been said before it is hit and miss with rods, my mate has a LCR all the mods - big turbo so probably around 280-290 allthough it rollered almost 300bhp and he is on stock internals.

If I was to do it I would put a hybrid on and leave my rods as ther are

But then you have all the extra running costs and so on to go with that sort of car. ie if the turbos go its engine out and while you`re at it you might aswell k04 it which MRC charge £3700!

a turbo can go on any car though, so that's not really valid is it........ and there's more chance there being an engine problem on a beefed up a3 with the same internals than a slightly beefed up s4

you can get orignal spec turbos put back on that s4 for much less than that too, you're going to the wrong mechanics lol!

at the end of the day, the guy wants to keep up with a 350 bhp lighter car in an a3 1.8t fwd, it's going to cost alot of money, money that will be lost once spent

lets say he spends £3,000 doing it (although most people are saying it will cost more), that would cover the purchase of that s4 and then he could sell his car, put some of the money aside to maintain the s4 and have a holiday too

long term, unless you plan on keeping the car for a long time, it's just not worth the hassle and money!

i have an s3 and all i've spent tuning wise is £200 on a remap, i've prob spent about £2,500 on maintenance (cam belt, broken parts, fluid changes, tyres, suspension, bushes etc) in the last 14,000 miles - i could have spent all my hard earned wages buying bigger turbos, bigger intercoolers etc but i sat back and thought i;d rather save up for a bigger more capable car.

it's just the way i think

if the guy loves his a3 as much as i love mine its worth putting the money in weather you get it back or not at, the end of the day he wants to get in to his a3 and go Borrppp tishhh all the way home maybe tiddle on some expensive higher powered cars :D it seems daft but in the long run you would save money doing up your old car than buying a new one or a newer car plus newer cars loose value quicker and parts can cost more. my full on 2 penny's worth is stick a massive turbo on it and give me a go :racer:

Yeah but a turbo going on an A3 even if it was a GT28 for example is cheaper and easier to replace than an S4. Yes you could replace for normal k03`s but the majority go for the upgrade because everything is out ready. If you wanted to upgrade in the future for instance you`d be paying out another huge fee like you just have if just going for k03`s again. Im not going to the wrong garages at all. Im mearly using MRC`s quote because i know it so not plucking a random figure out my ****. (also that includes mapping and some other upgraded parts to go with the bigger turbos)

Retaining the value of the car doesnt seem to be a high priority on the guys list so was pretty pointless to put forward tbh

basically to keep up with your mats car you,ll need to uptated te rods to run over 300tq.you should do that fiesta then go bug turbo.eg a gt2871r or gt 30

basically to keep up with your mats car you,ll need to uptated te rods to run over 300tq.you should do that fiesta then go bug turbo.eg a gt2871r or gt 30

Haha, predictive text on the phone much?

if the guy loves his a3 as much as i love mine its worth putting the money in weather you get it back or not at, the end of the day he wants to get in to his a3 and go Borrppp tishhh all the way home maybe tiddle on some expensive higher powered cars :D it seems daft but in the long run you would save money doing up your old car than buying a new one or a newer car plus newer cars loose value quicker and parts can cost more. my full on 2 penny's worth is stick a massive turbo on it and give me a go :racer:

I love my car loads too and if I had the money I'd stick a big turbo on as well.
If an s3 keeps up with a car it isn't as fun or suprising as if an a3 was keeping up.

A 260bhp would be more fun than a 260bhp S3. And you also have the exclusivity of having an A3 like no other where as most people will buy and remap an S3 so you would just be the same.

Also if you went for a hybrid or similar there is always a market to sell it on in the future if you wanted to return to standard.