re position of dv

lnewland

Reaction score
Hey all, i have seen many times that people have moved the dv from the air inlet to the front left of the engine bay, can i ask is there a benefit of doing this what are the pros and cons. if there are more pros to this how do i do it and what do i need. also does it mean i can fit an atmospheric dump vale and not have any problems

I have heard mixed reviews about this mod that its not really worth the money.

DSCF2798.jpg

agu what dv valve is that? do you just block of the boost pipe on the hot side

Last edited:
Theres not an awful lot of point in a dv relocation, much better things to spend money on fo sho IMO.

Best dv is a forge 007p or a Bailey dv30 as they are recirculating valves, atmospheric dump valves aren't the best for cars expecting air to be recirculated.

i wouldn't recomend using a atmos if you have another engine code apart from agu. i spent a full day pricking about with recirc and atmos dump valves tested quite a few and i can say that there was no difference in performance from a 007p, audi tt dv, bailey dv30, and the forge one i have on now. but don't get me wrong there were a couple that did not give me max boost (mainly thats due to spring rates)

Last edited:
Cheers guys. on my old mk4 golf i had a turbo xs atmos valve and had no problems with it what so ever. AGU is that the standard pip you cut into for the T piece also where did you get the t piece from as i can only find them as part of a full kit yet im trying to save a few pennies. and i take it i need two blocking off plugs if i was to go atmos wise

Last edited:
Iv got the same setup as agu but with a 007p, All i can tell is the dv is alot colder than when it was on the hot side, so that has to be good??lol and i have to tighten my jubilee clips alot as the guy that fitted it right butcherd the pipe. dont know why you would have an atmospheric down ther as it makes no diffrence in noise. Id put an atmos strait to the hot pipe onto the metal charge pipe.

True there is no differnce at all. the only reason why i moved mine is because all my pipe work is getting moved due to fitting a large fmic, Plus it sounds louder with a atmos on the front lol

i wouldn't recomend using a atmos if you have another engine code apart from agu....

are you saying that its OK to dump the air to atmosphere if you have an AGU engine?

As far as i am aware the reason people relocate the DV is so that it is the other side of the intercoolers hence the term Cold side relocation. It means that the air that is recirculated back through the turbo is cold air rather than the hot air thats immediately exiting the turbo. So, this should help cool everything down a bit. How effective or noticeable this is i dont know

The agu model is the only one that seems to cope with an atmos but then there is only a select few atoms valves it will accept. I previously used a turbo xs one that was fine and heard the above forge one works. Also heard that the Bailey one works but not known of anyone with one fitted

Yeh i had the bailys dv26 before fitting the 007p. Iv now fitted a k&n cone filter and get a lovely woosh sound from it when its monching air and a slight dump noise on low changes. Iv got an aum so i stay clear of bov's.

are you saying that its OK to dump the air to atmosphere if you have an AGU engine?

As far as i am aware the reason people relocate the DV is so that it is the other side of the intercoolers hence the term Cold side relocation. It means that the air that is recirculated back through the turbo is cold air rather than the hot air thats immediately exiting the turbo. So, this should help cool everything down a bit. How effective or noticeable this is i dont know
well i feel i got abit more throttle response on gear change but it might just be in my head lol. Oh and it looks cool with a meter long pipe going round your engine bay lol.

this thread confuses me slightly for 2 reasons: 1) when i first got my agu turbo A3 and joined here pretty much everybody said steer clear of atmos valves too many running probs etc etc & 2) why relocate the valve to input nice cold air into the system & then blow it into the atmosphere again?? (apart from the fact it goes tssssssssshh!! lol)

1, you should have no problems due to the agu has no map sensor. the rest of the engine codes do have map sesors so it no's if this air is missing and will throw a fault code and put into "limp mode"

2, good idea if you are using a recirc so it put cold air back into the intake. on a atmos just makes it louder out side. My reason's are mentioned above

whilst were on about DV's then whats the idea behind the Split R ?? is it that you can adjust some air to atmos and some to recirc and fine tune it to a point where it dosn't quite throw it into limp mode but you still get a nice dump to atmos sound ???

Stay well clear of Split R or Sh1tRs as they should be called. They give nothing but problems and do send you into limp mode, there has been many posts on here about how bad they are for the car.

Chris.

whilst were on about DV's then whats the idea behind the Split R ?? is it that you can adjust some air to atmos and some to recirc and fine tune it to a point where it dosn't quite throw it into limp mode but you still get a nice dump to atmos sound ???

Well yeh basicaly. the screw cap on the top is to adjust pre-load. so basicaly like changing you'r spring from a yelloe to green etc it's not to adjust sound.

i had a split-r on mine and it was crap if you'r wanting the atmos sound, as you carn't here it unless you put you'r window down lol. But it is a very well made dump-valve

Last edited:
While I understand the point of moving the DV to the cold side, To me it kind of defeats the point of it to some point. I did raise this on the TT forums some time back due the fact the DV is there to remove air from the intake whilst off boost to stop compressor stall and slowing the turbo down. By moving it as far away from the turbo as you can ie just before the throttle you are simply hampering the effectiveness. It needs to be as close as it can to the turbo, so to remove air from the intake as quickly as possible.

The benefit of moving it to the cold side in favour of putting cooler aor back into the intake system in my mind is less of a benefit than decreasing the spool time and reducing back pressure.

Are you still after a K04? I've got one, came off a TT which was a little smokey but I'm fitting new seals and bearing , so will be refurbed. will come with manifold and all the pipes.... let me know

i might get an atmos valve on my agu then for ****s n giggles. Not that i dont trust u but i wanna pull some figures together and settle the debate after all.

So the valves that are known to be ok are the Forge and possibly the baileys dv26 (thats the twin piston one right?)

AGU do u know what the full name of ur valve is? theres like 100 valves on the forge site

...the fact the DV is there to remove air from the intake whilst off boost to stop compressor stall and slowing the turbo down. By moving it as far away from the turbo as you can ie just before the throttle you are simply hampering the effectiveness. It needs to be as close as it can to the turbo, so to remove air from the intake as quickly as possible.

I thought compressor stall happened due to the reflected pressure wave off of the closed throttle plate a little bit like water hammer. In which case moving the DV closer to the reflection point catches the pressure wave earlier?

... either way compressor stall due to a relocated DV is not an issue i have seen reported, but it may be out there

The air still has to go through the heat pump of a turbo, If you're worried about high AITs

1. get an FMIC
2. get a phenolic inlet mani gasket from Bill
3. get water methanol injection
4. remove the rubbery strip that goes between the bonnet and the bulkhead
5. remove sound proofing from the underside of the bonnet.

My AIT's whilst sat stationary on a dyno, in the middle of 'summer' (lol) whilst running a hybrid were 20 degrees with no cold side relocation.

I had one problem whilst having the dv26 and that was due to it leaking when i came off the power then back on it again. Never had it go into limp mode. Oh and when i put the 007p on it ran alot smoother. I usto think the dump valve noise sounded cool but when you race a scooby it kinda make the dv you got sound like a squirell fart imo.

I had one problem whilst having the dv26 and that was due to it leaking when i came off the power then back on it again. Never had it go into limp mode. Oh and when i put the 007p on it ran alot smoother. I usto think the dump valve noise sounded cool but when you race a scooby it kinda make the dv you got sound like a squirell fart imo.

lol what psi was u running?

I dont know really mate as iv just sorted a split pipe and it boosts a treat, i bought it thinking it was stock bhp, can i check on vag com what psi?