New HU in my S3, CT51-AU01 issues?

AjM

Living in Blissful Ignorance
Reaction score
Hello, well I have finally bought another S3 (my 3rd now)!

I am in the process of fitting my Alpine HU in it and have bought the CT51-AU01 to wire it in as the S3 is full Bose. Firstly is this the best thing to do or would it be better if I bypassed the Bose and used the HU to power the speakers?
Second there is a blue wire on the adapter that seems to go no where, a black wire I am guessing that has to be earthed and also there are are 2 wires in the red block from the car not being picked up by by the CT51-AU01 ?

Lastly, there is a male and female ISO and as far as I can tell i only need the male to go into the HU, what is the female for? ANYONE? I have searched the internet with no joy.....
Thanks Ant

Last edited:
Update, it seems the blue wire is power, all the questions remain. I have had it working, however the balance and fader don't do what they should but they do something i just can't figure out what and it pops when you turn it off and on, something it is not supposed to do.....

Yeah, you need a connects2 adpater not a shoddy autoleads one. That will get rid of the popping. I tried 2 autoleads adapters and had problems with both, not a problem at all with the connects2 one...

I have the Connects2 CT51-AU01. Also I think the popping might be because I forgot to connect the ground wire....:keule:

Last edited:
Ok, earth connected and the fader and balance work fine now. BUT it still pops when i turn the stereo on... Is it something to do with the parrot 3200 that is wired in with it all?

I'm no expert but all I know is that with my Alipine X001 (while retaining the audi bose amp) as soon as I installed 2 of these bad boys - Ground Loop Isolator : InCar Speakers : Maplin it cleared the popping completely. (think you can get them cheaper on Ebay!)

I'm no expert but all I know is that with my Alpine X001 (while retaining the audi bose amp) as soon as I installed 2 of these bad boys - Ground Loop Isolator : InCar Speakers : Maplin it cleared the popping completely. (think you can get them cheaper on Ebay!)

Thanks but I am using the Connects 2 adapter which uses the wiring rather than rca connectors. It is also supposed to stop any popping!

No you shouldn't get popping when using the speaker input adapter (rather than the cleaner RCA input adapter). The popping is normal when using the RCA adapter as the Bose amp has a bizarre capacitor array on the input stage. Aftermarket HU's ground the signal wires when doing anything electrically noisy like changing track/source so you don't hear any interference. Unfortunately this grounds the capacitors in the Bose amp so they discharge very quickly thus causing the hideous pop.
Could be the Connects2 hi-lo converter is causing the same issue as it is a better quality unit than autoleads version. A GLI should sort it out but again you are compromising the quality of the signal feeding the amp. Maybe try adifferent brand of adapter or turn the gain down on the adapter and see if that changes anything. Or use the cheaper cleaner RCA input adapter with a GLI
I would bypass the Bose amp and upgrade the speakers, as you can't run the Bose speakers off the as they are 1.5 ohm impedance and will fry the output stage.

Thanks, what is a GLI? I have essentially no money left at the mo to start buying other adapters etc, also I have no patience left either.
The slight popping when i turn it on i can live with, it does not do it when changing track etc. However when my car kit goes to work, (make a call etc) the crackle and bang is soo loud I jumped out of the seat. Any thoughts?

Ground Loop Isolator
How is the car kit installed?
Through the HU or just linked into the Bose amp.
Most car kits link into the front speakers via the speaker connector on the back of the HU. The Bose system doesn't have any speaker connector as they all run off the Bose amp in the boot.

It has a female and male ISO connector, the male from the connects2 lead and then the car, goes into the female of the parrot, then the male from the parrot goes into female from the stereo.. Does that help? I can do photos tomorrow but it is a bit of a mess...

I think I may in the future bypass all the BOSE as you say. Alpine do a 4x100w (4x45w RMS) amp package for my stereo that clips on the back for £120 with no wiring or messing about, i am thinking long term, that and one of your subs in the boots with some good speakers should be a pretty good setup?...

Last edited: