AUDI A3 8L 1998 150 BHP (KO4 TURBO CONVERSION??)

dansw88

Reaction score
HI, IM AFTER DOING THE KO4 CONVERSION AS MY STANDARD KO3 HAS STARTED SMOOKING!!! HEAR YOU NEED A DIFFRENT DOWN PIPE FOR THE EXHAUST ECT ECT. DOES ANY ONE ON HERE KNOW OF ANY ONE THAT DOES THE FULL KO4 TURBO CONVERSION??

CHEERS....

you would have to buy all the k04 bits,

turbo
downpipe
manifold
injectors
maf
turbo intake pipe

i would advise you get a k03s from a k03 or hybrid k03s which is a k04 in a k03 shell

cr turbo best people contact

Blimey... I'm deaf after reading that...

Why not go for a K03 hybrid... K03 outside with K04 internals... typically puts out between 260 and 280 bhp depending on supporting mods...

Less agro than a K04 conversion and the K03 mani is better than the K04 one anyway... plenty of Ibiza Cupras with this conversion but to get the best out of it then 2.5" (or 3") downpipe and a FMIC are advised... rods too tbh especially if you plan to use a lot of boost...

You will also need S3 injectors, S3 MAF housing and a silicon TIP of some description... plus custom/stage 3 mapping

<tuffty/>

quick on tuffty to get 270-280bhp out of the hybrid would you need wmi for that or could it be achieved without this as ive seen some people on the scn with 296-300 bhp figures

quick on tuffty to get 270-280bhp out of the hybrid would you need wmi for that or could it be achieved without this as ive seen some people on the scn with 296-300 bhp figures

Dyno lottery applies as usual with this but the highest I have seen on Bill's dyno with this type of conversion (and Bill has done quite a few) was a tad over 280bhp with WMI....

300bhp IMO is unrealistic...

<tuffty/>

sounds good although i have just seen dane's thread that f23 looks very very tempting even if it would be a pita to fit

nice find danny would like to see how damaged it is as he quotes on the ebay "Hi, I have forsale a K03 hybrid turbo by Backdraft Motorsport. Done about 2000 miles before i found that the exhaust side was damaged by the monkeys that fitted it. There are cracks in the exhaust housing, i am including the exhaust housing in the auction but it is useless except for the wastegate which is new. As you can see from the photo the turbo is easily split using a 10mmm spanner and loosening the 6 bolts"

Can'really crack a housing fitting it... housings crack as they get too hot...

<tuffty/>

hmm seems a bit suspect if the housing only cracks when hot that f23 dane is looking at looks nice i see they do a fitment for the mkiv golf so would be same for the a3 for £690 they seem a good bit of kit

Thanks for the info, ko3 hybrid sounds like so much of a better idea!! would it still be best to upgrade the maf and the few other bits??

yeh k03 hybrid will require

3" maf (s3 225)
s3 injectors
fmic would be required to avoid heat soak from side mount intercooler
silicone tip
3" down pipe
2.5" cat back
decat or 200cell cat
rods are a maybe depends if you want to use full boost roughly £800 fitted
stage 3map not generic custom map £500
wmi if you want to achieve 280bhp

Reactions: dansw88
hmm seems a bit suspect if the housing only cracks when hot that f23 dane is looking at looks nice i see they do a fitment for the mkiv golf so would be same for the a3 for £690 they seem a good bit of kit

f23 is k04 hybrid not the k03 hybrid... internals are not the same remember

yeh ive just emailed franken and they do a adaptor up pipe which will link my down pipe to the turbo they provide the manifold and tip 3" maf etc

i would probs use your tip with the turbo as ive read nothing but great reviews about the tip

f23 this is what doug sent me.

The F23 kit is designed to fit all MkIV and Audi Mk1 series A3 cars. In fact, the whole rationale for fabbing up the adapter bits was to capture the European A3 market. There are a lot of you guys lusting after S3 power. The F23 is there to make it happen.

In addition to the turbo you would need (and I recommend you purchase from us)
  • FrankenTurbo inlet pipe
  • FrankenTurbo 3" MAF housing
  • FrankenTurbo adapter up-pipe
  • FrankenTurbo manifold
  • FrankenTurbo oil/coolant lines
as i would prefer to use your tip i would not need this just 550cc injectors.

im looking to have this fitted around end of the year early next so will be speaking with you more direct on this bill if your happy to carry out the works as doug explained he manufactured the turbos to comply with your parts.