Faulty MAF? Faulty Spark Plugs? Faulty Ignition Coils?

Wizza

Reaction score
Logging Session Results...

Well last night I met up with a couple of the lads and did some logging and car diagnostics. The car in question is a 2001 AUM Revo'd S1 A3 with FMIC, Recirc Valve (green spring), K&N Panel Filter, CAT Back Milltek with 94,000 on the clock (original MAF sensor).

First conclusion we came to was the Thermostat is nakard as temp readings wouldn;t reach above 73degress even on standstill/idle - I picked up on this issue at teh weekend and then it hit me why I've not been getting ht best of fuel consumption. Anyway that's booked in for replacement under warranty along with fresh coolant and Magnetic Sump Plugs.

Lambda Session;
LOG-01-003-115-031Kris-lambda.jpg

Timing Session;
LOG-01-003-115-020Kris-timing.jpg

A bit more information on parts fitted. Last year teh car had more or less a full service, new plugs, new coils and fresh oil etc etc. CarLube Fully Synthetic Oil 5W40 was fitted at ths time. The engine codes stated on ECP don't match up BUT I have never had any problems at all with them - the original spark plusg on mine had a signle electrode I think; but these I had fitted have 3 (old spark plugs were single electrode and stil have these sat in the loft but not sure how old these are, funny feeling they are originals). Below are the links to the items in question;
BERU Audi | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

NGK Audi | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Few months ago the car was at Awesome GTi to get a few issues regarding boost and such. I had a FMIC fitted along with the other parts stated above and also had fresh oil fitted. This was about 3,000miles ago (ish) - the plugs and coils remained the same but Ihad new thermostat and temp sensors fitted. The oil Awesome use is 5W30. At the start of May I had the car on the rollers at Awesome;

0000320.jpg

Any help would be greatly apprciated. Cheers. If you need anymore info please ask. Mutantfatcat and Sandip will also be able to give you pointers if needed.

Last edited:
^^^Will read 2mz. Cheers mate.

Anyway - my first plan of action once the thermostat is replaced is to change the MAF.

true i do see your point welly i do find the tesco stuff to run better than the v power and the bp i found was just S**T

Yeah I guess I was a bit lazy when typing the form, who knew...

Well I had the car logged again last Thursday after having my temp sender/switch replaced which was causing my bad fuel economy due to faulty temperature readings even though the engine temperatures were fine (Awesome GTi replaced this for free as it was gonna have a new thermostat fitted under warranty).

Also fitted a brand new MAF sensor as the old one was at over 90,000miles and dying. Below (quoted) are the logs from my original post which have being misplaced due to file renaming on Photobucket;

Fingers crossed you can read these!

Lambda Session;
2011-06-10-Lambda.jpg

Timing Session;
2011-06-10-Timing.jpg

As you can see car was running much below what it should!

Latest log from Thursday night;

2011-07-21-Timing_newMAF.jpg

As you can see the car is running pretty well (if you can read it). Using teh 0.8 rule power was coming out at 202bhp rather than the 184bhp from June. BUT the Rollers stated (as shown in original post) 215bhp although rollers can exaggerate. Feeling much happier now with the car but gonna look into getting the spark plugs checked over, new fuel pump and fuel filter :)

Anyway a few snaps of how the car is looking now;

FrontPassenger2011-07-16.jpg

RearDriver2011-07-16.jpg

PaintedCapsBay.jpg

BlackMats.jpg

BootBox.jpg

The box in the boot has been straped into place since this picture but its full of useful supplies :) I have removed the sub until I decide to upgrade (this is for sale) and also made a few other amendments. The rear lighst have been finished off with tint spray but I also tinted the standard lights so do have an option. Cut away a load of the plastic from the front valance and grills and got my tow strap to sit better. Painted a few engine parts aswell - checked over my O/S front headlight damaged after the bump i had last year and also wrapped my petrol cap which will have a new Bubengropen sticker on it soon. Getting some rim tape soon for an orange/reflecive lip and the embossed rear plate has been taken off now as I want something just completely plain and sublt just like the front except original size and tinted :)

The car will be at Awesome GTi so fee free to look around.

Whether i'll be in my A3 though, I highly doubt it =[ But yeah haha, i'll come have a poke around yours :D