ko3s hybrid to-do or not to-do

Syvo

IF IN DOUBT GO FLAT OUT
Reaction score
im in a dilemma to get a ko3s hybrid or not and just map the k03s i currently have,

my code is ARY so i have 19mm wrist pins now ive been speaking with awesome gti over this and they have informed me that rods will not be needed for this set up although i have seen a few people on ere have gone through rods ie welly.

but awesome had informed me that the Bam engine had a bad batch of rods and mine is the same rod as the first 1.8t which were forged rods and parts iirc.

i know i would need 3" maf and injectors and a custom map to set up.

i would like to be ruuning around 280bhp mark a lad i know from awesome has recently sold a car that had hybrid turbo on a cupra and that was running 270 when sold and now on 300bhp and is running fine and his own car is on stock rods at 340bhp.

so do i go for the rods or not as it seems to only be the s3 that i have read has these problems mainly the bam engine.

im in a dilemma to get a ko3s hybrid or not and just map the k03s i currently have,

my code is ARY so i have 19mm wrist pins now ive been speaking with awesome gti over this and they have informed me that rods will not be needed for this set up although i have seen a few people on ere have gone through rods ie welly.

but awesome had informed me that the Bam engine had a bad batch of rods and mine is the same rod as the first 1.8t which were forged rods and parts iirc.

i know i would need 3" maf and injectors and a custom map to set up.

i would like to be ruuning around 280bhp mark a lad i know from awesome has recently sold a car that had hybrid turbo on a cupra and that was running 270 when sold and now on 300bhp and is running fine and his own car is on stock rods at 340bhp.

so do i go for the rods or not as it seems to only be the s3 that i have read has these problems mainly the bam engine.

Not just BAM engines at all dude, s3 have been known to bend a rod on a stage 1 map and FMIC.

If your aiming above that sort of power rods are going to be a good idea. For peace of mind if more than anything, I love not having to worry about bending one. It's also a good opertunity to clean the sump and change the oil pick up pipe.

What car is this chap running at 340 without rods?

Last edited:
You could easily map the car you have now,then when you get bored of it, go for the hybrid option.

Bought mine mapped, had it taken off for a week due it running funny, realised it felt like someone had stolen my turbo, and got it remapped again.

luck is a factor houston:

19mm rods are not as strong as 20mm rods, and 20mm rods bend/break in some circumstances.
I run a prototype hybrid in an aum golf engine, which also has 19mm rods, and I fitted rods to it for peace of mind. cars power is just a hair over 300bhp and 280lbft (in a lupo)

your call

Not just BAM engines at all dude, s3 have been known to bend a rod on a stage 1 map and FMIC.

If your aiming above that sort of power rods are going to be a good idea. For peace of mind if more than anything, I love not having to worry about bending one. It's also a good opertunity to clean the sump and change the oil pick up pipe.

What car is this chap running at 340 without rods?

golf 1.8t with a gt28 turbo

luck is a factor houston:

19mm rods are not as strong as 20mm rods, and 20mm rods bend/break in some circumstances.
I run a prototype hybrid in an aum golf engine, which also has 19mm rods, and I fitted rods to it for peace of mind. cars power is just a hair over 300bhp and 280lbft (in a lupo)

your call

i would like to have rods for the peace of mind but £900 for installing them seems excessive as i could just easy buy a new engine for that

if some one would do the rods for say £400-£600 i would say yes will have the rods i would be wanting head skim as this would be needed when the head is removed.

cam belt done last month so dont need that would i need the valves doing and also the cam chain tensionor if this could all be done including fitting rods for the above price i would be happy to pay for it.

i would be supplying the rods for that price obviously

got price from psi tunning £870 for rods, head gasket, big end bearings, oil and filter and inc 7 hours labour just waiting on price for hybrid and fitting

Hey Paul - I'm still wondering whether to go for KO3s or KO4 Hybrids. Be a long way off yet but I'm jus doing research and seeing how I can get mst of of car without going silly. I need to limit myself on power hence these are my turbo options.

I know 2 mk4 golfs that are running 340 and 360 bhp neither of which have rods. Guess its just a gamble when go, i would get them done for peace of mind, you might be able to get an engine for the same kind of money but its still alot more hassle, and the chances are the rods will go at the worst possible time.