Is this normal, SMIC full of oil ? ?

driftymcgee

Reaction score
In preparation for fitting a FMIC I have been pulling bits & pieces off, doing some engine bay cleaning, etc.

When I pulled the passenger side SMIC bottom pipe off quite a bit of oil came out as can be seen in the pic.

dscn4693f.jpg

Is this normal for an 8L that's never had the IC pipes off? Seems like quite a lot to me, the car is 9 years old I guess but still has me a little worried.

There was a small amount in the drivers side SMIC and piping as well but nowhere near as much as the passenger side.

yeh thats normal mate, oil that gets into the system from the PCV collects in the intercoolers

Yep what he said^

Any oil passed by the pcv system or the turbo is cooled and condenses in the intercoolers

Excessive oil should be looked into IMO... one thing to check would be the throttle body... pull the hose off and see if oil is there... if there is fresh oil dripping from the TB that would suggest the turbo oil seals are on their way out...

Another possibility is that the turbo has already been changed (assuming you haven't since you owned the car) due to a similar issue and what you are seeing is the remnants of the previous failure...

Either way I would suggest removing both SMICs and cleaning them out along with all the pipes... that much oil will dilute the octane of your fuel and promote timing pull (potentially excessively and dangerously....)

Once cleaned you should keep an eye on it and your oil consumption... do you have to top up the oil regularly? if you do top up regularly and the oil returns then I would think the turbo is the likely culprit

<tuffty/>

Thanks guys, luckily there was only the slightest film of oil in the throttle body and even the MAP tube had only a few drips come out when the pipes were pulled. Have not needed to constantly top up the oil so that is a good sign too.

I've been assured by the previous owner the IC pipes have never been taken off and the turbo is still the original.

As I am putting in a FMIC I won't need to clean out the current pipes but an oil catch can and deletion of the PCV system has definitely jumped up the list of things that need to be done.

Hopefully a month or so after the FMIC & catch can/PCV deletion happens I can check it all again and find zero oil

Cheers.