Clutch/Flywheel options for BAM motor

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Yet another question about this BAM rebuild.

The guy asked me to see what the options are with the clutch.

Given its all out its probably a good idea to change the clutch at this point however when i inspected the flywheel it seems to "wobble". IE if you grab one edge of the friction surface, you can pull/push it away from and towards the crankshaft and it sort of rocks from side to side.

I've had a look around and there appears to be a chassis revision on the flywheel assy around 2002, with this car being a 2004 model it has the newer version of the flywheel which costs a whopping 450quid. A Sachs clutch kit comes in around £160, meaning its nearly 600quid on a new flywheel and clutch.

Are there any other viable options?

Can i use the cheaper earlier flywheel, and what are the differences between the two?

Is this "wobbly" flywheel normal, meaning i can refit it as is and just throw a new clutch and slave cylinder in?

A3's and S3's finished at 2003 so more than likely missed the revision... the TT section or even the TTOC forum may be a better shout for that info... where did you get the prices from?

VAG have a habit of doing silly things with DMF's and clutches... Colin's (CMD) A4 was a funny one too with a clutch and DMF that appeared to be limited to his model on that particular year!!

I can't imagine there would be much difference using an older version assuming the gearbox didn't change (the only reason I can think of as to why the clutch etc would be different)...

The DMF and clutch for my S3 came to around the £350 from GSF and are LuK parts...

<tuffty/>

Prices came from euro car parts.

The S3 did seem to get the later flywheel, according to ETKA Chassis number 3-050001> had the later flywheel.

TT's seemed to get it a bit earlier.

Afaik they all have the same 02M gearbox, so no idea what changed.

Also the actual clutch itself didnt change, only the flywheel...

Last edited:
If its just the DMF thats changed then I can't see why the earlier one wouldn't work...

<tuffty/>

Any gen on wether this "wobble" is normal?

I know they're supposed to rotate with relation to the crank, and this feels pretty tight and happy in that direction.

My A4 one doesnt wobble however.

change it just for peace of mind. I know its expensive but if it goes will be even more expensive. When i had my clutch changed they said there was a little play which was ok but i said change it anyway POM!

I just changed mine tbh mate... doubt there are many people that have changed their own clutch here and if they have I would imagine that they went single mass...

I would imagine the wobble you describe is not a good thing and would cause a similar imbalance effect to a warped disc... I would suggest trying to find a motor factor close to you where you can have a look at a new one and compare else just bite the bullet and change it... they say the DMF should be changed on every second clutch change and I did buy mine for just over £200 from GSF...

<tuffty/>