Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Another FMIC Thread

Hi guys, I have been looking at getting a FMIC for a little while now, and I've taken note of the various threads relating to them. I'd settled on saving up for the Forge item as I simply didn't want to cut the crash bar and there are really no other options in that category unfortunately.

Today I've stumbled across this. I won't go into what's included as you can check the link

So, basically, I'm looking for opinions. Do we think this is a workable solution or is it perhaps not man enough for the job. etc.

Incidentally, I know of all the benefits of the AH Fab IC etc but I really don't want to mess about with the crash bar! Cheers peeps
    2001 (Y) Audi S3 AMK | Forge 007p | H&R ARBs | Powerflex Bushes All Round | Badger5 3" TIP & Jetex JR Filter | R-Tech Stage 1 Map | Brembo 4-Pot Callipers (Monoblock from Clio 197) with Ferodo DS2500 & EBC Ultimax Discs | N249 Bypass | Milltek Cat Back Non-Res Special Tips

2. # ADS
    ADS

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    This interests me but I cant find a similar sized core:

FMIC fitted incorporating the 2 SMIC,s
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westle View Post
    This interests me but I cant find a similar sized core:

FMIC fitted incorporating the 2 SMIC,s
    Still going strong with zero issues....temps plummet on boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Still going strong with zero issues....temps plummet on boost
    And that's on a stage 2 is it not Dave? I'm struggling to find a similar sized core on ebay that also has the right size inlet/outlet to be able to use the exisitng hose size.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Yes Stage 2 + i think you need 63mm inlet and outlets

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Yes Stage 2 + i think you need 63mm inlet and outlets
    Yeah that's what i've been looking for on the bay. I'm not the best with the search tool but I've looked high and low on a few occaisions and can never find anything. Even the seller you bought yours from doesn't seem to have them any more
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    The idea of retaining the existing SMICs is an interesting one I'll grant, but I was thinking that a single FMIC might simply suffice. That link is a complete kit as well and seems a decent price, I was just wondering if that kit would be man enough or whether I could just discount it as its pure carp.
    2001 (Y) Audi S3 AMK | Forge 007p | H&R ARBs | Powerflex Bushes All Round | Badger5 3" TIP & Jetex JR Filter | R-Tech Stage 1 Map | Brembo 4-Pot Callipers (Monoblock from Clio 197) with Ferodo DS2500 & EBC Ultimax Discs | N249 Bypass | Milltek Cat Back Non-Res Special Tips

1st Gear

Status
    I'm also considering getting rid of the SMICs as I can then attempt to integrate some sort of brake duct cooling.

Yes, I am that heavy on the brakes at times!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadders View Post
    The idea of retaining the existing SMICs is an interesting one I'll grant, but I was thinking that a single FMIC might simply suffice. That link is a complete kit as well and seems a decent price, I was just wondering if that kit would be man enough or whether I could just discount it as its pure carp.
    That kit will do the job mate I'm sure of it. You might want to ask the question whether there is room to keep the fogs because that's the main show stopper.

I'm thinking of doind what Dave has done by using a cheap core and keeping just the drivers smic. I'd rather save the rest of the money for something else. Dave has proved his setup works at keeping down temps and doesn't effect drivability plus it's a cheaper (my favourite word) alternative.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Hadders I've found that core from your link by itself:

UNIVERSAL TURBO INTERCOOLER C20LET Z20LET ASTRA NOVA on eBay (end time 07-Apr-11 14:58:41 BST)

I may get one of these and get it to fit alongside the drivers smic. Or if this core will be big enough to do the job by itself I'll do away with both smic. If this can sit under the crash bar and sit far enough back to avoid making contact with the fogs i'll be in business.

It's a slightly smaller core than the one S3Dave used so it shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by Westy; 10th March 2011 at 13:05.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Keep me in the loop could you mate, as I really need to be considering getting this done as we head towards summer. As I mentioned earlier, I'm keen to find a solution that doesn't cut the crash bar and replaces both the SMICs so I can investigate brake cooling

Status
    Ok, I've trawled through eBay and I cant find any cores with 63mm ins/outs to stick with the standard hose size. The best I have found is 550mm x 225mm x 64mm with 57mm ins/out.
    I have priced up some reducers, hoses, elbows, etc and I think I can fit this cooler for around 150.

I'll keep you posted.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread