Alternator - HELP!!

landopanda

Reaction score
Hi, Was happily driving along when the battery light on the DIS came on. Carried on driving and the wipers got slower and slower then the ESP light and ABS light came on. Only couple of miles to work so carried on. Just before I got there the dials on the dash stopped working. Got to work and the car wont even get close to turning over.

What is wrong? Battery? Alternator? or something else? Would really appreciate some advice as I have no idea... :(

Thats what happened when my alternator when, but my wipers when really really fast on the slowest setting. The car sends what ever voltage the alternator has to the more important parts on the car when the alternator is going as far as I no, thats why my windows and radio and dials wouldnt work but lights wipers were really fast/bright.

If you can get the car started, in the climate control there is a setting which shows the the voltage within the system, should be about 14.4v and around 13v with all the electrics on IIRC. Do that or test your battery voltage before you go spending money but it does sound like your alternator.

No, I did mine in the dark lol, was going away to London the next day so had no choice.

Take the plastic tray off infront on the inlet mani.
Then take off the belt (serpintine belt) which goes over the alternator pulley by using the tensioner to untension the belt.
Then its just 2 13mm bolts on the side at the back of the alternator and unplug the electric connector and it ready to come out.

Exact same symptoms I had when my alternator went-dash lights went and clocks stuck,I was on the M4 at the time. Bought a brand new 120amp one off eBay for about £120.

I've never done it but it doesn't look a difficult fix, it's right there on the front of the engine and looks reasonably easy to get at. I did one on a Corsa once though that was a real pig, had to take the engine mount off cos the belt ran around it!

I had the battery light come on and I thought it was the alternator it turned out it that one of the metal strips in the wee black box above the battery had blown out might wanna check that first!

How do you get climate control to show voltage? That sounds useful.

I had the battery light come on and I thought it was the alternator it turned out it that one of the metal strips in the wee black box above the battery had blown out might wanna check that first!

good point just take your time to check everything over,, get the car running of a booster pack or old school jump and test over the battery with volt meter, should get a healthy 14v ish,, if its lower or nothing then check the cable back, as said above could be as simple as the conection at the alternator itself corroded,,

My local Audi had Bosch 120amp Eurpoarts did Lucas recon 90amp. Personally I bought a brand new 120amp as I have heated seats climate on all the time etc. Check what your existing is as-some have 90amp

S3 baby-have i seen you in Shortlands area-baby seat in the back?

I had similar issues a few months ago. Bought a new one off ebay for £110 delivered from Rotating Electrics which is basically identical to the OEM one (normally £290 + VAT). Just make sure you get the one with the clutch type pulley as the original specs for the S3 were supposed to have a non clutch pulley, but they changed it before production. Annoying as I had to send mine back first time.