Sorry i am confused

chukkieegg

Reaction score
sorry for this post bit confused

I have read the posts on oil and they all seem to be for the S3 which i realise is a more powerfull engine and has a bigger turbo and other bits

but what oil do i need to put in my 1.8t sport aum engine code?

I am assuming its going to be 5w40 but would just checking to be on the safe side

Many thanks in advance for the replies

Regards

Lee

5W40 fully synthetic will be fine in yours mate... power doesn't make much difference in this case... I run 5W40 in mine...

<tuffty/>

thanks the owners manual gives me a vw 500 00 or 503 00 code but been struglling to convert it into a rating i could understand like 5w40 etc will get some bought

cheers
Lee

Thats the spec of the oil not the grade. The grade is what you have asked for 5w40 but if you look on the back of the bottle it will give you a spec. As long as the oil spec number is greater than vw 503 you will be fine to use it.

The VW spec of the oil also depends if you are on variable servicing or not. If you are, then you need the longlife oil (can't remember what the VW/Audi spec is), if you are on fixed servicing then you can use an oil which is half the price. The difference being the additives in the former to prevent it degrading.

Must admit i put 10w40 in mine last month when i had it serviced. That is waht Comma oil recommended. Always change my oil every 6 months, which is about 3k for me.

Used to use the same in my Leon Cupra i used to have and had no issues.

Luckly VAG dropped the longlife/fixed servicing oil differences for later cars. All newish Audis use the same oil regardless of servicing.

Hmm, lucky for the dealers no doubt. I guess this means that those on fixed servicing now get charged £12 a litre for an oil that they don't need when one costing 1/2 or even 1/3 of that will do the job!

Interestingly why are all you guys saying 5w40 when opie suggest 10w40 ?

And they suggest 5w30 for the S3?
Why is this? Sorry, oil dunce here.

I'm needing to buy the necessary for an oil change and transmission fluid change you see...

Interestingly why are all you guys saying 5w40 when opie suggest 10w40 ?

Because the minimum VAG spec for these engines (without AVS) is a 10w40 semi synthetic. The very same oil that causes all the sludge problems.

Semi-synth (ie 10w40) shouldnt be anywhere near a turbocharged engine.

This has been on the boards before. Get the right VW spec and you'll be fine. Too many people seem to second guess what to put in. VAG wouldn't go to all the trouble to test oils etc a create a spec if they know nothing. I've owned high, low and mid mileage VAG turbo engined motors.... 1.8T, 2.0TFSI not had a problem yet using exactly as VAG recommend.

Sludging occurs when service intervals are missed, pushed way beyond the reminder or oil types are mixed. I've stripped down a 120K mile 1.8T Octy vRS engine that I pushed to a Big Turbo upgrade which had been religiously serviced on the dot of the longlife service intervals reminders with the correct spec oil and there wasn't a bit a sludging in the sump or around the pickup. All these horror stories about sludging etc who have never run the car for new and therefore can't guarentee what was done to it previously. (the octy I mentioned as an example was run by my dad from new, until I bought of him. Hence I new the service history)

Get VW spec for you motor and nothing else. Ignore VAG at your peril