non-ESP old TIP, anyone got one they can send me?

badger5

www.badger5.co.uk
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.badger5.co.uk
Hi

Has anyone got an old non-ESP TIP, anyone got one they can send me?
(for making a 3inch version from hopefully)
thanks
bill

For the APY engines bill? If so, the esp tips fit fine, the only difference is you need to use abit of vacuum pipe for the n75 to reach the other side.

Your 3" tips should fit fine, i plan to get one after my service in feb :).

hmm, really?
not seen one here to have a good look.
I have a lhd S3 without esp, and his fitment of the existing 3inch tip is not fitting.
I am trying to see what I would need to do... its more angled at the bottom, bends twice before rising up.. LHD car having brake servo in the way... so not sure if the issue is entirely non-esp or lhd & non-sep

Have a look on build thread bill, it shows pics of what a non-esp tip looks like, its got a double bend at the botton of the tip before it goes into the turbo, it's quite flat and very restrictive.
You would need to change anything on your 3" tip, like i said, i fitted a SFS silicone tip to my non-esp s3 (v reg) and all i had todo was extend the n75 vacuum hose as the electrical connection wouldnt stretch that far, also the pcv hose would need exteneding but thats it, a case of some silicone and you'll be fine :).

Yeah that's the one paul. Been on hold since the 2 crashes back in 2009 :(, will be starting back up this month though :), watch that space.

i have one, my car has no esp but thats an a3 with a k03 so probably not much help.

Have a look on build thread bill, it shows pics of what a non-esp tip looks like, its got a double bend at the botton of the tip before it goes into the turbo, it's quite flat and very restrictive.
You would need to change anything on your 3" tip, like i said, i fitted a SFS silicone tip to my non-esp s3 (v reg) and all i had todo was extend the n75 vacuum hose as the electrical connection wouldnt stretch that far, also the pcv hose would need exteneding but thats it, a case of some silicone and you'll be fine :).

I have a european customer in sweden and his is'nt fitting, but he also has non-esp and brake servo to contend with...

There wasnt a brake servo in the way on mine, got to be down to his been LHD.

I'm interested in this TIP (and large cone!) for APY non-esp also!

Just unsure about what I would need to get done to the map and whether this can be done by myself with something like CustomSettings (I have a CustomCode Stage 1 map).

Like is it a simple case of just changing a value in the map to some standard value? Or I'd need to bring the car to a tuner with a rolling road to sort this out? From the other thread on this there's this bit of info http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...h-tip-tests-danes-s3-today-2.html#post1148366

"it needs logging with wideband on dyno... 5% on wellys, but his is hybrid turbo and was hi-flow mani as well as 3inch tip also.. "

So it sounds like I would need to get the car to someone with a dyno who can also tweak the map? Is this correct?

no changes done at all to Danes - not required.
Wellys I added some fueling with unisettings after logging it with my dyno/wideband, BUT, his was hybrid and a lot more flow.

Not needed by others so far.. non wideband cars, initial fueling is load based off airflow... more air, more fuel (stock k04)

Bill do you still need a tip?

Just removing the turbo off my latest project to get it refurbed and as such the tip is just sitting on my work bench if it's any help you can borrow it for a week as long as I get it back :) Let me know

Bill do you still need a tip?

Just removing the turbo off my latest project to get it refurbed and as such the tip is just sitting on my work bench if it's any help you can borrow it for a week as long as I get it back :) Let me know

yes please.. non esp one yea?

Almost certain it's a non esp. it's a 1999 APY but will double check for you. If so shall I just send it to you at Badger 5?

Simplier way, do you have a esp button on your dash, if yes then you dont have a non-esp tip like what i had.

Simplier way, do you have a esp button on your dash, if yes then you dont have a non-esp tip like what i had.

Thanks but I kinda of guessed that.:).. the only reason I'm not sure is that I bought it with no engine as a project, and as such never actually sat in it to drive so couldn't tell what's on the dash but pretty sure the 1999 apy's where non esp, so am confident it wont have ESP but will chk anyway

Just wondering, is there any danger with this increase in flow on a stage one map?

I remember there was a guy on here maybe a year ago, who I think was on stage one from JBS, then he changed his down pipe without modifying the map...and ended up in a bit of a disaster. I can't remember the exact problem, but something along the lines of the increased flow just caused everything to overheat.

Esp on APY engines was a optional extra, only when the AMK/BAM engines came out was it standard fit.

Just wondering, is there any danger with this increase in flow on a stage one map?

I remember there was a guy on here maybe a year ago, who I think was on stage one from JBS, then he changed his down pipe without modifying the map...and ended up in a bit of a disaster. I can't remember the exact problem, but something along the lines of the increased flow just caused everything to overheat.

nope.
more airflow more fuel on intake and wideband cars control their own fueling
if in doubt on non-wideband cars, take it to a dyno to get afr's logged

nope.
more airflow more fuel on intake and wideband cars control their own fueling
if in doubt on non-wideband cars, take it to a dyno to get afr's logged

Thanks Bill. So would I be correct in summarising that the general message for us S3's owners that are APY non-esp & non-wideband, is that we can stick on the 3' TIP and larger cone filter without needing to change the map. We should see roughly an increase from about 250bhp to 270bhp if we are on stage one, and we shouldn't see any problems with fueling?

If we were to see any problems, in laymans terms :) what problems would we see and what would need doing rectify the problem? Is it just that non-wideband cars may not be getting enough fuel to match the increased air and the map needs to be updated to add more fuel? What would happen if enough fuel was not being provided?

What are afr's? Will we be able to do some logging in VAG-COM to make sure that everything is ok, rather than putting it on a dyno?

What's the difference between wideband and non-wideband? From message I read, I thought it meant cars with wideband would adjust their fuel to match the airflow. But you mentioned earlier that on non-wideband cars, initial fueling is load based off airflow... more air, more fuel (stock k04) - so that sounds like non-wideband cars also adjust fueling based on airflow? Confused now!

Thanks Bill. So would I be correct in summarising that the general message for us S3's owners that are APY non-esp & non-wideband, is that we can stick on the 3' TIP and larger cone filter without needing to change the map. We should see roughly an increase from about 250bhp to 270bhp if we are on stage one, and we shouldn't see any problems with fueling?

If we were to see any problems, in laymans terms :) what problems would we see and what would need doing rectify the problem? Is it just that non-wideband cars may not be getting enough fuel to match the increased air and the map needs to be updated to add more fuel? What would happen if enough fuel was not being provided?

What are afr's? Will we be able to do some logging in VAG-COM to make sure that everything is ok, rather than putting it on a dyno?

What's the difference between wideband and non-wideband? From message I read, I thought it meant cars with wideband would adjust their fuel to match the airflow. But you mentioned earlier that on non-wideband cars, initial fueling is load based off airflow... more air, more fuel (stock k04) - so that sounds like non-wideband cars also adjust fueling based on airflow? Confused now!

Bill, any info on my post here? I think this would be useful info for any of us looking to go with your new TIP. Cheers.