Another lowering advice thread.

Drysdale

Reaction score
Just bought myself a bargain 1.6 (non SE/Sport) A3, 97 with 65k, black and got it for £3950. Bargain with FSH, MOT etc.

Just wanted to know....what is a reasonable size wheel to fit? (It only has steelies on at the moment). Quite fancy a set of 18" RSTTs. Assuming these are already the correct offset etc for A3s, would these go straight on without any problems with scrubbing etc? Also, how much would I be able to lower it comfortably? Don't want to go too ott, only 10-15mm or so.

[ QUOTE ]
Drysdale said:
Just bought myself a bargain 1.6 (non SE/Sport) A3, 97 with 65k, black and got it for £3950. Bargain with FSH, MOT etc.

Just wanted to know....what is a reasonable size wheel to fit? (It only has steelies on at the moment). Quite fancy a set of 18" RSTTs. Assuming these are already the correct offset etc for A3s, would these go straight on without any problems with scrubbing etc? Also, how much would I be able to lower it comfortably? Don't want to go too ott, only 10-15mm or so.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's possible to get OEM and replica TT/RS4 style wheels for the A/S3, with correct PCD and offset. Speak to your local dealer or VAGPARTS (http://www.vagparts.com) for new OEM parts, or for replicas the best place to deal with seems to be Rochford Tyres (http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk).

You could fit 18" wheels to an A/S3 with no worries at all on standard suspension; most of the good spring kits suitable for the A3 and S3 I've seen available are in approx. 35mm drop and approx. 50mm (eg. Eibach do around four kits IIRC, two giving a more level drop and two giving a more 'nose-down' stance; and H&R do 35mm and 50mm all-round AFAIK).

You could put 18" on and drop it 35mm with absolutely no rubbing worries at all, probably even 50mm (I think RichA3Turbo used to run -50mm H&R on 18" RS6 replicas).
I'm not certain, but I'd be inclined to say you might even manage a 35mm drop if you went as far as fitting 19" rims; I'm far less confident about 50mm.

Someone else will probably be able to offer more accurate advice regarding any questions you might have if you consider 19" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif - but if you're going for 18" you can lower it quite considerably without worries of rubbing etc.

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks for the reply! Some good clear advice (as far as I know.) Don't think I can afford VAG prices at the moment but Rochford Tyres looks a good bet. Will go for a 35mm drop on coilovers, but if thats not good then I'll just lift it back up to around 20mm.