Camshaft Question

Pat

Reaction score
As most know im well into my engine build for my S3

I brought a big valve head AGU

Are the camshafts on the AGU head the same as the ones off my AMK one??

Cant quite stretch to the CAT ones i really want :(

Last edited:
I swapped the cams from my AMK head to my AEB head along with the followers and VVT tensioner... I am pretty sure the cam profiles on the turbo 20v's are the same across the board but I have heard of people using NA 20v cams as the inlets give a higher lift apparently but I would have a google to confirm...

<tuffty/>

i've googled and googled and googled but couldnt find anything definitive.

The US sites seem to be full of mongos claiming the NA cams are the same, which is clearly not the case.

I've heard of that being done on other engines as well, not on 20vt's but on volvo 2.0t's. A mate switched to an n/a inlet cam and it really free'd it up at the top end, and didn't really effect spool at all

Yeh Vauxhall C20LET's are similar, people use the inlet cam from the C20XE, but it needs retarded half a tooth to reduce overlap.

Unfortunately it may well be that due to the timing chain setup on the 20vt the NA cam would end up too far advanced, and its not possible to swing the cams independantly of each other, which could result in too much overlap.

What you really need is a map of the exact profiles of both cams, so they can be compared and analysed.

Yeh Vauxhall C20LET's are similar, people use the inlet cam from the C20XE, but it needs retarded half a tooth to reduce overlap.

Or, if your are my mate who did this, don't bother with retarding it half a tooth, and blow the thing up.... whoops.