Anyone tempted by the new S3?

campbell

Reaction score
I own a audi S3 8l and keep looking at the new S3, they keeping dropping price slightly probably because the audi RS3 is comming soon, has anyone driven one who owns an 8L S3 and how do they compare?
In my situation I have spent that much money on my S3, full engine rebuild, new suspension, not too mention all the little bits here and there, it wouldn't make sense to lose all the money that money by selling it for a more expensive car which is going to deppreciate just as quick and has the same power, unless I remap I of course to around 300 bhp. And I do think the 8L S3 is a rare car, there is only one or two around from where I live anyway, and it is better looking than the new S3 with it's flared arches and subtle looks.

Thoughts please? Thanks

New S3 8P.

Nice car. I would like one, but:

Pros:

300 BHP from a map. Look horny.

Cons:

Fecking expensive. A3s with S Line kit look the same.

Search for Tim aka 1animal1 on here. He has just sold his Dolphin Grey 8l for a new shape DSG... although I think he is still looking for one.

I Would love one but can't justify the expense outright for a decent one and I don't really fancy getting one on the drip.

Intercoolers, downpipes and hyrbid turbos? Now that I can get on board with :cool:

New S3 8P.

Pros:

Cons:

cosign_3d_lg.gif

New S3 8P.

Pros:

Cons:

a3 with an s-line kit can't hold a candle to a real s3... even my mum could tell the difference when she went to get her s3 :)

For the price of an 8P S3 I'd be looking at other cars instead tbh, its a good car but doesnt do anything for me, id rather an E46 M3 for a lot less or the new shape (E90?) coupe's, really like the 335

Think most of us 8L owners feel the same, the power seems tasty but seriously the looks do nothing for me.

If I had the money I would buy one. Simply because I want DRLs and a new car.

But for the sub 10k I paid for mine, I've got everything but the above (power, handling, build quality, looks, quattro!).

I'd rather look at buying an Audi s4 as its faster and more pra!ctical!!

id have an 8p love them, think you'd find how dated the 8l feels after a week of owning an 8p. but for me i cant afford one and it will remain a dream.....unless someone want my car for there 8p :)

I would like a new S3, but its the price...
the 8L looks nice, its rarer (i see a few around but less than 8p) and i think a well sorted S3 with the suspension done, remap etc etc would out gun a standard 8p and cost half the price for the 8l and the mods to get it there...
The thing that sways me is age, our cars are near 10 years old and that reminder always makes me slightly sad :-( lol

Is it me, or 8P S3's are all over the place. I'm pretty sure they are all genuine ones as opposed to S-Line ones, too common in my opinion, although I wouldn't mind owning a sportback version, I have a soft spot for Sportsback 8Ps, which means I quite like the idea of the RS3, even though I think it's waaaay overpriced!

The optional seats look awesome, he looks don't really do it for me too. Really like the E46 M3 but I can imagine they would be expensive to run? I have come to a point on mine where the power is good but I want more and cant justify the expense for a big turbo or hybrid turbo

age of the 8L bothering people or just worried about people seeing you in a 10 year old car?

Rather wait for the 8P prices to level, no point being a depreciation donkey

Certainly alot more 8P's than 8L's around here. Rarely ever see 8L S3's and never the equal of mine ;). I like the 8P because its newer, I like the fb steering wheel, the bucket seats and the easily obtainable 350bhp.

However, theses days If Im gonna spend a whole lot of money it better be safer, more economical, cheaper tax and insurance. The 8P certainly doesnt tick those boxes. Perhaps in a few years time when Im done with buying a house malarky Ill look again for another low mileage mint example S3 this time in the 8P form.

age of the 8L bothering people or just worried about people seeing you in a 10 year old car?

Rather wait for the 8P prices to level, no point being a depreciation donkey

my missus thinks the newer the more expensive. like for example my mate got a vectra 05 plate for £2500 with 50k on the clock. i paid £2800 for my 8L last year. she thought his car was worth at least twice mine ... should have seen her face when he told his that my car is worth more lol

dunno if its an audi thing of the fact these engines are solid but they do hold their value somewhat

with all the talk of our 8L's rods going though I almost think do I sell before I have a disaster. Don't get me wrong I love my car but don't think I could put up with a huge repair bill.

The only other car that tickles my fancy is the 8p S3 or golf Mk 5 Edition 30

with all the talk of our 8L's rods going though I almost think do I sell before I have a disaster. Don't get me wrong I love my car but don't think I could put up with a huge repair bill.

As far as I know on this forum there have been 2 incidents of rods gone wrong, am sure there are other more on other forum but it is not an epidemic

I really do prefer the look of the 8L, but the 8P isn't that far behind. The main pro is that they're new(ish)! I've reached the point where little niggles are turning into big bills with my 8L so I'm going to make the leap up to an 8P in the next month or so. The reliability and peace of mind outweigh the potential for my 8L to be modded beyond a standard 8P. An S4 would be one better, but the fuel bill alone put me off... I've always said I want a V8 though... this whole car-buying thing is harder than it should be!

On a related note - what sort of price should I be expecting for my car? 51-plate, Ming blue, 115k miles, some extras. And I am now officially looking for offers on my TT-RSs, genuine 18"s, no adapters needed, in great condition with 4x GY Eagle F1 Assyms.

Only two cars i'd upgrade to:happy: Cant seem to find a decent used 8P S3 for under £16.5k. Plus now id want a facelift and i can scretch to £23k+ for the spec and colour id want. Ohh well maybe a few years

I really do prefer the look of the 8L, but the 8P isn't that far behind. The main pro is that they're new(ish)! I've reached the point where little niggles are turning into big bills with my 8L so I'm going to make the leap up to an 8P in the next month or so. The reliability and peace of mind outweigh the potential for my 8L to be modded beyond a standard 8P. An S4 would be one better, but the fuel bill alone put me off... I've always said I want a V8 though... this whole car-buying thing is harder than it should be!

On a related note - what sort of price should I be expecting for my car? 51-plate, Ming blue, 115k miles, some extras. And I am now officially looking for offers on my TT-RSs, genuine 18"s, no adapters needed, in great condition with 4x GY Eagle F1 Assyms.
5-5.5k

Not for me thanks. In my opinion Audi's golden age was the late 90's/early 00's. The newer cars just don't appeal for some reason, I'm not even sure why. Even if I had £30k to spend on a car (which I haven't!) I honestly would buy an old shape S8 from 2002ish and spend the rest doing that and my 8L S3 up.

I love the 8L. In my opinion, you have the best shape S3 ever. With all the time and money you have in it, why let some one else reap the benefits at your cost. Keep the beast :)

course youd want an s3 8p, its like asking if you would like a 9inch ****, if you say you dont prefer the 8p it is because you carnt afford one our you are a liar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Search for Tim aka 1animal1 on here. He has just sold his Dolphin Grey 8l for a new shape DSG... although I think he is still looking for one.

Correcto!!

For the price of an 8P S3 I'd be looking at other cars instead tbh, its a good car but doesnt do anything for me, id rather an E46 M3 for a lot less or the new shape (E90?) coupe's, really like the 335

comparing apples with pears.... although im out tomorrow discounting other cars that gave me an inkling of a thought, A5 3.0tdi, 911 amongst others

I'd rather look at buying an Audi s4 as its faster and more pra!ctical!!

and twice the price to run :) ive researched that too...downside now is that theres a new S4 which means you wouldnt have the newest (best looking version) :)

Yeah that flat bottomed wheel is the dogs....

as standard on all 58 plate onwards DRL S3's.........

I thought exactly the same as most of the comments above, the 8P isnt as special - but it is newer and more up to date which is a big plus. The DRL's do it for me personally (and the newest alloys), although i am insistant on having a sat nav specced car to bring the ageing dash a little into the newest age (its not quite new gen Audi after recent A4/A5/A6/A7 releases). Downsides are they are more common, the seats are manual with no lumbar support as standard!! (can you imagine that!!??) and they are too much like a similar S line-- upsides are cool toys such as S tronic which is amazing!! heated rear seats??? magnetic ride (suspension - if you can find one with it) and a few other new bits n bobs designed to make life easier :)

depreciation wise, the DRL equipped cars are entering their third year, and if you look at the entire 8P used market, you'll see that the annual depreciation is roughly £2k pa max, that aint bad for such a high priced car, i suspect they are bolstered by the 8L S3's and will be for a good few years......if you check out the classifieds you'll see as many if not more 8L's on the market than 8P's (obviously discounting Audi UK).

just my thoughts on the subject

Tim

Audi wussed out with the 8p imo and im glad they did in one way as I don`t want one :) the bucket seats look the dogs and the interior is v nice but looking like a s-line just kills it for me.

When I went for a part at Audi the guy on the counter asked for the reg then came back with .... ah a proper S3 lol not one of these new things :)