Heated Mirrors

a3tdi

Reaction score
Does anybody know how the heated mirrors are wired? Mine dont work so i checked the circuit through them and they are open circuit. so it looks like i need new ones. When i checked the supply to the mirrors i found that i have a live feed as soon as the ignition is switched on, i thought they came on with the rear screen heater!!! Do i have a fault with a relay? if so where is it and could it be that a thermostat is overriding the rear screen switch.( it is cold today) Thanks in anticipation Martyn.

From previous posts they are temprature based - once it gets cold they will automatically switch on. The glass heaters have a tendency to burn out, I believe I have this problem too.

Replacing the glass is the only way to fix the problem that I am aware of.

Greg

been to stealers and paid £55 the pair, fitted and heated up straight away. but found to be cold again when i got home. switched ignition off and then on again and they worked again, have`t tried rear heater switch yet. Do they work on a timer? i thought they were on all the time thats why they burn out.

think ive got same prob also where did you get glass from?

[ QUOTE ]
Bigshout said:
I thought onlt the drivers side heated up. Is this true or should be both heat up!

[/ QUOTE ]

Both should heat up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
a3tdi said:
been to stealers and paid £55 the pair, fitted and heated up straight away. but found to be cold again when i got home. switched ignition off and then on again and they worked again, have`t tried rear heater switch yet. Do they work on a timer? i thought they were on all the time thats why they burn out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, they are on timer, to prevent them from burning out - supposedly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
greytsport1 said:
think ive got same prob also where did you get glass from?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine from KMS based in Birmingham, as I drive past there quite often, and just popped in. Try Euro Car Parts or German & Swedish for mailed orders, or vagparts.com for OE parts.

got them from teesside audi, £10 cheaper if you dont want the blind spot mirror. they keep them in stock which would suggest they are a regular spare.

The early ones came on ALL the time and so were prone to burning out, replacement being the only repair option. The later ones and the ones you would now buy have thermistors in them to only come on at temps less that 5c. Neither of mine work LOL

[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
The early ones came on ALL the time and so were prone to burning out, replacement being the only repair option. The later ones and the ones you would now buy have thermistors in them to only come on at temps less that 5c. Neither of mine work LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

never checked mine....

[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

never checked mine....

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob, bet you've got so much crap on your wing mirrors, you can't see out of them anyways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif