Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

and yes, the engine loom does unplug fully just like an A4 mark, everything runs to a single plug on the ECU via a big fat bulk of loom that spreads under the battery.

no, because your cluster doesnt support the level sensor, so you could just leave it disconnected. On the A4 the cluster has an oil temp gauge, which uses the same pin as the level sensor uses, so mark for instance will have to modify his loom to connect the level sensor wire to the old temp sensor.

The A4 platform went IMMO3 around february 2000, i'd imagine A3 would be similar.

ah, that's cool. I wasn't sure if the level sensor was linked into the pressure warning alert, I've never had the level warning come on in my ME7.5 daily A3.

What sort of time frame are you guys running on currently? is this something you're hoping to have done soon? or long time work in progress?

I need to make a decision fairly soon, as rob wants to get the rest of the car sold, and he's holding off selling the engine with the loom incase I want it!

Mark has everything sitting ready to go, and is afaik just waiting on some time to finish up the boost pipes/map sensor fitting and then sorting out some mapping time.

For me it'll probably be a few months. I have the harness, throttle body and pedal assy, but still need to find a MAF, ECU, Map sensor, injectors and wideband lambda for muchos cheapness.

Plus dawns motor needs some front arms and springs slightly more urgently than i need an ECU upgrade, so those will be coming first!

argh. I just don't know!

Would I need to change my bolt down hitachi coilpacks for later push down style unreliable ones? Mine currently are controlled by a seperate ign amp, so I guess I'd need the ME7.5 coilpacks too.

Hitachi bolt downs are amp included coil packs. I use them after changing my current loom to lose the amp.

I may go to FSI ones once Bill has done the testing and the gains are proven.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, perhaps mine arn't hitachi then, mine are bolt down on an AGU, but it definitely has a seperate amp.

So much to think about, I'm wondering if I'm not better off with an EBC to control boost, and having it mapped on ME3.8.

No ideas mate. I am just awaiting the opertunity to get my IC pipes re made and the sensor boss added. then it's all systems go, nail the gt28rs on at the same time. So even while chugging around at actuator pressure it should have a little summat

could you run a switchable map with an mbc. one setting for reliability and track use, and another just because you can lol. just do the switch then turn up mbc.

So would this ECU swap be possible on my non-wideband APY s3?

if your already DBW then its just a case of swapping the ECU and adding two extra wires for the wideband lambda sensor (and possibly a resistor for the ECU's VVT output)

Yeah its DBW, instead of a resistor for the vvt, could i just fit it?

Right slight thread Jack. I had a tqs with a map, i now have a tqs without a remap, but my other one is coming back to me (it was written off). the written off one was a 2000 'x' facelift and the new one is an 02. could these be swapped over, and a program like vag tacho be used to change the mileage...

So, I actually did a small amount of work on this today, not much, because I spent all morning mopping Tori's Polo back to super shiney red, but I got an hour in this afternoon on the wheel, I also nipped up to the paint shop this morning and had the colour on the other 3 rotas matched, closest match we could find was Mazda Driftwood 11B, shade 104a.

Take one brand new rota Force, in Hyper black

f6148479.jpg

Attack with 600 and 800 wet and dry, and lots of water, for about 45 minutes, then clean thoroughly:

9216e802.jpg

Apply first few coats of paint :)

548e74bc.jpg

Then after another coat of paint, I called it a day, as it was getting too cold and humid to paint any more.

Up against another wheel, it's not a bad colour match at this stage, and should get better once I get a few more coats of colour, then a few coats of laquer on:

a75993f0.jpg

I also popped into Storm Developments to say hello this morning, and met Alex, although, at the time I didn't realise you were on here! Sorry mate. No wonder I looked confused when you said you'd read my build thread!

So, I'm sure you've all seen these pics in my Tripod thread, but here they are again, just to keep the build thread up to date.

Rotas fitted:

77a339b3.jpg

d8689fa4.jpg

e0a63c33.jpg

eb480c5a.jpg

This is the one we painted, it's actually mazda driftwood, not rota bronze. I don't think you can tell at all now they're on

f3cfd0c6.jpg

3ea0399e.jpg

And of course, that ****** volvo that keeps appearing in my thread, it's back!

e8787163.jpg

The drive is transformed with the Rotas on, the car feels much more nimble, quicker to change direction, more steering feel, it rides better, and it's slightly quicker off the mark too.

All round general win then!

The style and colour might not be to everyones taste, but they're Rotas, so they had to be bronze, and I love them!

Reactions: AndreP106

e8787163.jpg

It'll keep appearing in your rear view mirror on the next track day too. You might be faster, but you're not going to shake me off easily ;)

The wheels suit the car well, I didnt think they would when you first posted what you'd got, the colour works well too, I think you should paint the calipers bronze like the GTR/350Z ones

Cheers man! calipers, and rear arb now it's so visable, will be painted orange I think :)

May have just bought something else for it as well, but I'm waiting on confirmation before I post up about it. Hoping they're not sold already!

Since removing the welder and 80kg of TT rims from the boot, it sits much better, and I'm absolutely LOVING the rotas now.

Feels so great to drive too

76e9d538.jpg

Not a huge amount left to do really Karl, but there's always development to be done.....

The CR KO4 hybrid has to go on at some point

dd77a88a.jpg

But that costs time, and money, so it can wait for now until I'm good and ready.

Aside from that, not that much more to come really. I'd like to get it lighter, the aircon has packed up recently, so rather than fix it I think I'll just remove it, I'd like perspex rear windows, and perhaps a bit of weight saving elsewhere

the closer to 1000kg it gets the closer we should end up at the magic 300bhp / ton figure :)

That's the plan Bill!

I'll be honest, having priced it up, it's looking unlikely I'll be able to do the ME7.5 conversion. it'll make Bobs engine that much harder to sell, and given everything else I still need, I can't afford to pay him good money for the bits.

Is the ME3.8 something you can still map? Boost control will be an EBC with solenoid in parallel to the N75 so I can have a few different outputs.

e8787163.jpg

Yeah and its this ****** Volvo that has me trauling through the Volvo forums and pistonheads looking at T4`s to buy and mod! grr lol

Wheels are looking sweet though. Not many people outside of the jap world go bronze but the colour looks so good on a lot of wheels!

Tiz now though. I'd post up some pics of the original S40 if I had any, perhaps Andy can contribute?

i`ve seen his old rwd project on Driftworks that he then scraped in favour of the S4 shell. Problem is finding a decent tuner for them :( Some people are even going to Holland to see Rica just for a custom tune. MTE which he has on that one ^ is about the best for big turbo apps but dont know how easy that is to really aquire in this country. Its a bit like the A4 currently..proving to be a pain for tuning any further than a basic stage1 and even then finding someone decent is hard.

And Nicks favourite car of all time...

DSC00304.jpg

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

DSC00319.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

Just raped your thread Nick. Unlucky...

Latest addition: lightweight Road wheels / wets to save wearing out the RS-R's during normal road use.

These wheels will be going on it for road use, Oz Racing Superturismo's in 8x17 ET35, currently shod with Pirelli Asymetrico tyres (seen here on the Bora of Win)

4876014103_053bb238c6_b.jpg

Milltek-fitting-017.jpg

they came up at a really good price Paul, and we DO need some road wheels to stop wearing out the RS-Rs, so it seemed like a sensible choice :)

Now, time to stop messing about with wheels (have 4 sets now) and make steps to get this turbo on!