AH FabricationsChris Nott
Page 124 of 144 FirstFirst ... 2474114117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131134 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,960 of 5753
Like Tree1054Likes

Thread: Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Awesome vid Bill! Such a shame about the knock sensor light stopping our fun, I was quite looking forward to being pushed along under pressure

So, esterday BigAl and I headed to Audi Driver international at Castle Combe. We met LOADS of people there, I won't name everyone, just incase I forget one or two and they feel left out, but it was great to see everyone

ADI is run as a typical Castle Combe sessioned day, but tends to be FAR quieter than the action days, and we were lucky enough to get in on a trade and track access pass through a friendly black and white stripey furry associate , so basically had open pitlane lapping all day

The day started off SOAKING wet, we were running on Dunlop 03G's, so not ideal, was pretty slippery (and slow!)

A3 track car - Castle Combe in the wet - YouTube

It dried out a bit, so BigAl headed out, this is just a short clip with an appearence from Gurds at 1:16

A3 Track car - BigAl Driving - YouTube

If Gurds doesn't get you with his new power, he'll smoke you to death
    Poor old ABF breathing a little heavily - goes bloody well though with a blower on it

After lunch I fitted the yoko slicks, after carrying these all the way to Spa and back to not use them, I was determined to try them!

A3 track car - Castle Combe on slicks - YouTube

I was impressed! the turn in is incredible, lateral grip is a good few notches up from the Road tyres, and braking is just amazing!

Got a few more to add later of BigAl driving on the slicks in the dry, Also saw Stumpy there, the S4 looking gorgeous as always!

All in all, top day. it was a really nice change to get some decent clear track at Combe and do more than just a few sessions so you can really get into the groove
    badger5 and <tuffty/> like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    What was the expression Nick? more grip than your face can handle? :D

<tuffty/>
    RobinJI and vivalacoulter like this.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow vivalacoulter On Twitter Add vivalacoulter on Facebook Visit vivalacoulter's Instagram Channel
    That should be printed down the side of the car haha.

1st Gear

Status
    Photos! (from Combe)

Nick looking excited to head out with BigAl:

And out on track:

Prawn, <tuffty/>, bigal 1 and 1 others like this.
    1.8 20v turbo converted '88 Scirocco - ASN Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    Just make it out of carbon fibre and save some weight

Ditch the passenger also lol
    Hey, that's er in doors in are talking about. 8.5 stone in full kit.???

Status
    haha, so Mum weighs around the same as 1st place success ballast in the BTCC?

Plug 3/4 of a tank of fuel, so carrying roughly 80kg's more than usual.

I highly doubt we're at a level where the added weight of a passenger and some fuel would make too much difference.

Oddly enough, thinking about it, i almost NEVER go on track without a passenger, there's something about the whole experience that's just better when shared with someone else for me

of my 100 or so Nurburgring laps, I think I only ever did ONE on my own, and didn't enjoy it nearly as much.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5th Gear

Status
    Do you still think you wont go back to the ring?

Status
    yup, still happy to think we won't be going back any time soon

i think it's safe to say, on a closed trackday, running the slicks and aero it has now, it'd be comfortably sub 8 minutes BTG. I'm confident enough with that thought that I don't feel the need to go there to try it even.

perhaps one day, when funds are available, we'll do a trackday there, I'd really love to, more so if the pound recovers against the euro, but at 450 euros for a cheap trackday, it's not something i fancy wasting the cash on just now.

5th Gear

Status
    I agree. I went in 07 and it cost a fortune.plus it rained most the time and as you know its like driving on ice. Money down the drain if that happens. Abingdon is under 30 miles for me so i could do 5 days there for the price of a ring trip id think. Love the abingdon vid of you bullying the m3 and amg btw. Merc didnt wanna move did he hahaha

Status
    Those are exactly our thoughts mate!

we have castle Combe, Hullavington, Keevil, and Abingdon all within an hour of me, and could do 5 airfield days for the cost of 1 ring trip, which may or may not get you any decent laps, so for the cost vs risk, it's far more worth while doing repeated airfield days in the UK for us now, it's just as much fun, and nothing like the same pressure!
    daz-20vt likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Yeh definately. Ive read some real horror stories with fines and repair costs at the ring. At least if i bin my car here i can walk home lol

5th Gear

Status
    Looks awesome in those photos!

Should send off a few photos to Audi to show them what their beloved a3 has become, makes me wonder if you'd get a reply!

5th Gear

Status
    Great vids..... loving the first time on slicks... looks like you really enjoyed it... couldn't help notice you mention engine temp a couple of times... is it becoming an issue ???
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

Status
    well, perhaps not an issue, but certainly something I need to look at Mark yes.

In the early days as a track car, pre oil cooler, it regularly used to reach 110-112 degrees coolant temp on track.

With the oil cooler, and a new rad, even on the new power level I'd never seen it go above 99 degrees.

On full boost at Combe, with slicks, I saw a peak of 107 degrees. Still perfectly safe, but hotter than I'm used to, so I chose at that point to back off rather than push it further and see if it still went up.

I think enclosing the engine bay is the main cause for this, but there are plenty of things I can do to relieve it a little.

To help air in, I'll be drilling behind the plate and making the plate removable to allow more air in, as well as possible adding in some Naca ducts under the splitter, one for the sump and one for the gear box.

To allow more air out, I'll be having a play around with the front wings to try and open up the back edges to relieve wheel arch pressure, as all the air that gets IN to the engine bay now has to exit through the wheel arches, which become a very high pressure high temp area, coupled with the brakes running very hot, it's all very warm in there, so venting the arches some more should really help things there
    bigal 1 likes this.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    haha, so Mum weighs around the same as 1st place success ballast in the BTCC?

Plug 3/4 of a tank of fuel, so carrying roughly 80kg's more than usual.

I highly doubt we're at a level where the added weight of a passenger and some fuel would make too much difference.

Oddly enough, thinking about it, i almost NEVER go on track without a passenger, there's something about the whole experience that's just better when shared with someone else for me

of my 100 or so Nurburgring laps, I think I only ever did ONE on my own, and didn't enjoy it nearly as much.
    I enjoy taking passengers out too Nick, the car feels more balanced side to side with a passenger in it! Plus you lost 5.5stone of ballast already!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I enjoy taking passengers out too Nick, the car feels more balanced side to side with a passenger in it! Plus you lost 5.5stone of ballast already!
    My one solo lap of the ring was at the time my fastest lap, but it was also more messy and possibly pushing a little too hard, passenger calms me down a bit

A little clip I was sent by Dan Lister taken from the esses at Combe on Saturday

Prawn&#39;s Track A3, trackside at Castle Combe ADI&#39;13 - YouTube

I don't THINK this is maximum attack mode, doesn't sound like it's revving high enough in 3rd on the exit, but still nice to see what it sounds like, I've not heard it before really!

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I hear what you guys are saying about a ring trip but your not paying all that money for the track. It's about meeting up at Dover, having a chat on the ferry, a great convoy road trip to Germany, the buzz as you enter Adenau, the vast amount of goodies in the carparks, the nightlife, great food, great beer, and great people.

Some of my favourite trips have been when we've done more off track then on it.
    s3dave, StaceyS3 and vivalacoulter like this.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Oh yea definitely Westy, as a holiday it's amazing and I'd gladly go back..

As far as track time goes, it's ****e and a waste of cash.

We got exactly the same buzz road tripping over to Spa, meeting up at Dover, the crossing, the convoy, and for £200 we had a guaranteed full days lapping on the F1 track.

I'd quite like to go back to Nurburg for one of the big events, maybe n24, drive over in the soot chucker, maybe even rent a swift, just never again for TF in my car.
    Westy likes this.

Status
    So, the time has come where I have to accept that being a pikey and using zip ties on CV boots is a BAD idea.

2 boots lost at Spa, and a further 2 failures at Castle Combe on saturday with CV boots coming off the joint as zip ties expanded with heat.

What options are there for metal CV banding?

A quick ebay search shows many bands of different types for a few quid each, and many different tools ranging from £5-£100.

Ideally I'd like to spend at the lower end of the scale, maybe £30 all in, is one type or another preferable?

Does anyone know of any 'kits' available that lnclude bands and a tool?

5th Gear

Status
    I use jubilee clips 4 or 5 small ones linked together..... they are nice and tight and you can reuse them

6th Gear

Status
    Eh? Why arent you using the metal clips that come supplied with new cv boot kits?

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I use these:

WHILE STOCKS LAST!! Laser 4136 CV Boot Clamp Pliers | eBay

and the steel bands like this:

STAINLESS STEEL CV BOOT BAND GAITOR CLAMP 7.0 X 245mm PACK OF 20 | eBay

That almost always come with new CV boots.

Never had a problem and they will even hold on the hard plastic ones just fine.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 666markyboy View Post
    I use jubilee clips 4 or 5 small ones linked together..... they are nice and tight and you can reuse them
    Do you use them on the A3 mark? I didn't think there was enough room with how close then A3 CV's run to the top face of the hub carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    Eh? Why arent you using the metal clips that come supplied with new cv boot kits?
    Various reasons mate, but basically, mixing and matching various old and new parts to make good out of a bad lot, metal clips cut off when swapping joints over, no replacements to hand. Plus lack of tool to tighten the metal bands, last ones I did I used side cutters to crimp up.

I think I'll buy the back kev linked to and tool and do them all properly.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I bought an eBay £10 tool and it broke on the 2nd clip! I had to bodge with a load of large jubilee clips then drive to a garage to get it fixed. Not happy.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Bought the £18 laser tool Kev linked too, and 3x packs of these:

2 PAIRS STAINLESS STEEL CV JOINT BOOT CLIPS + 2 PACKS GREASE UNIVERSAL CLAMPS | eBay

Should sort it out nicely and give me a few spares for future issues.

5th Gear

Status
    Pretty sure I've done it on the A3.... lack of space was why I used a few smaller ones linked together.... the actual screw part was smaller on them but if you've bought the proper jobs then it's irrelevant

Status
    just found an awesome pic from Spa on the 116photography page

https://www.facebook.com/116photography
    Westy and StaceyS3 like this.

4th Gear

Status
    Nick next time your down i will give you a pack of metal clips ive got, they are awesome, and i get given them by a local supplier, so atleast they will get good use bro
    ​Wish Rachel would let me have my TDI mk5 back

Status
    So, we went to Spa.

It rain for a bit.

We were sad.

Then we thought, sodd it, we've paid our money, lets get our monies worth!

A3 track car - Spa in the Rain - YouTube

Status
    A lap out with my mate Ian, bit of a moment at 03:15, too busy watching the amazing pink subaru, 350bhp, 4wd, and full race wets!

A3 track car - Wet lap of Spa - YouTube

Status
    And of course, we can't forget co-owner and driver BigAl, still showing up people less than half his age in the pouring rain

A3 track car - BigAl at Spa - YouTube

2nd Gear

Status
    What a week, what a weekend and WHAT A CAR.!!!
    Prawn and RobinJI like this.

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Aero inspiration.

The most badass car ever photographed?
    jojo, superkarl, kwistof and 1 others like this.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

6th Gear

Status
    That is rather epic.

In the dry on slicks do you think you could run full power now Prawn?

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    That is rather epic.

In the dry on slicks do you think you could run full power now Prawn?
    Oh yes mate, Spa clips are all low boost, the above clips from Combe (apart from the wet one and Dads clip) are on full power > on slicks, there's absolutely no issue with traction what so ever, with the tyres up to temp even second hooked up fine, not that I was using second on Combe at all with the new box.

it was really quite a strange feeling actually, when I went out for fuel at Lunch, with the hot direzzas on, the way it hooked up and gripped in second was unlike anything I've felt in it before, more of a 4wd type feeling as there was so much more grip than on the usual road tyres. I can certainly see the attraction to having that kind of grip always, but so long as I've got it where and when I need it I'm happy

You can see on existing Bobbies (second chicane) once or twice behind Bill I could gain massively as the small punchy turbo and insane traction just rocket the car out of the chicane, then the badgerWagon spools up, hooks up, and fecks off into the distance again

Been a very fun week

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Aero inspiration.

The most badass car ever photographed?
    No and NO

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Oh yes mate, Spa clips are all low boost, the above clips from Combe (apart from the wet one and Dads clip) are on full power > on slicks, there's absolutely no issue with traction what so ever, with the tyres up to temp even second hooked up fine, not that I was using second on Combe at all with the new box.

it was really quite a strange feeling actually, when I went out for fuel at Lunch, with the hot direzzas on, the way it hooked up and gripped in second was unlike anything I've felt in it before, more of a 4wd type feeling as there was so much more grip than on the usual road tyres. I can certainly see the attraction to having that kind of grip always, but so long as I've got it where and when I need it I'm happy

You can see on existing Bobbies (second chicane) once or twice behind Bill I could gain massively as the small punchy turbo and insane traction just rocket the car out of the chicane, then the badgerWagon spools up, hooks up, and fecks off into the distance again

Been a very fun week
    Good! Glad you can finally use it all. Bit of a waste having it all there and could never use it.

Its a sign! full time 100% usable grip FTW

Yeah i did notice you werent disappearing from bills rear end until 5 minutes had past and he`d finally spooled up and left you lol.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bigal 1 View Post
    No and NO
    I don't know, I quite like it!

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Boxed in skirts and arches would make SUCH a difference to your car. Both visually and aerodynamically.

I am almost certain something could be made to replace the black strip along the door bottoms, so it could be removable.

Removing the sill trims isn't hard, why not whip one off and CAD it up.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Boxed in skirts and arches would make SUCH a difference to your car. Both visually and aerodynamically.
    There are no arches to box in, because our wheels fit inside the body work

Side profile will be addressed this winter, it's all planned and designed, and materials decided upon, it's just a case of getting the gear, then putting in the time to make it all

And yes, it will look properly bad-ass when finished
    bigal 1 likes this.