Brembo brakes on eBay - any reason why not?

I drove a skoda octavia VRS with the "big Red" calipers and it almost felt like you needed to double press the pedal to shift enough fluid to get the best from them... I wouldnt go bigger than the LCR set up to be honest

as said above big brakes are not the panacea

312 pagid + ferodo pads + good fluid

I'm certain the above would be fine for me/most of us. But the caliper whores amongst us sometimes like a wee bit of bling ;)

I like perposeful rather than bling.
Because im bord with every chav looking at my brakes at the lights and thinking "oi, bet he is going to go for it " then i just potter off to work or asda lol

Sorry for the bump on this guys - a wee bit more info from the seller;

"hi,
if your s3 is the same as the early TT/mk4 golf platformed vag cars you will find that the piston is in fact 54mm. the pistons on these are 2x30mm and 2x34mm. this is no way a down grade as you have pressure from both sides of the calipers from 4 pistons instead of one from one side.
hope this helps
dave"

So I take it that makes them slightly better than the S3 setup, as that equates to 68mm of piston total?

Sorry for the bump on this guys - a wee bit more info from the seller;

"hi,
if your s3 is the same as the early TT/mk4 golf platformed vag cars you will find that the piston is in fact 54mm. the pistons on these are 2x30mm and 2x34mm. this is no way a down grade as you have pressure from both sides of the calipers from 4 pistons instead of one from one side.
hope this helps
dave"

So I take it that makes them slightly better than the S3 setup, as that equates to 68mm of piston total?
you thinking of getting a set then?

I'm afraid the guy is wrong Jamie, and clearly knows nothing about how brakes work.

In a single pot caliper, you have to assume it works like a 2 pot, as with a sliding caliper, the piston forces the pad into the disc, but the other side of the caliper applies an equal and opposite force on the other pad.

so, effectively, you have to consider the single 54mm piston as 2 54mm pistons.

so, using pi r^2

Standard caliper:

(pi x 27^2) x 2 = 4580 mm^2

Porsche 30/34mm caliper

(pi x 15^2) x 2 = 1413 mm^2

+

(pi x 17^2) x 2 = 1815mm^2

= 3228mm^2 total piston area

so, (3228/4580) x 100 = 70.5%

So, those porsche calipers he mentioned will have roughly 70% of the power of your standard S3 brakes when using the standard master cylinder.

The discs are 323mm though, so (323/312) x 100 = 103.5%. SO you get only 70% of the hydraulic power, and just a 3.5% mechanical increase in leverage from the larger discs....

Avoid!!!!!

I'm afraid the guy is wrong Jamie, and clearly knows nothing about how brakes work.

In a single pot caliper, you have to assume it works like a 2 pot, as with a sliding caliper, the piston forces the pad into the disc, but the other side of the caliper applies an equal and opposite force on the other pad.

so, effectively, you have to consider the single 54mm piston as 2 54mm pistons.

so, using pi r^2

Standard caliper:

(pi x 27^2) x 2 = 4580 mm^2

Porsche 30/34mm caliper

(pi x 15^2) x 2 = 1413 mm^2

+

(pi x 17^2) x 2 = 1815mm^2

= 3228mm^2 total piston area

so, (3228/4580) x 100 = 70.5%

So, those porsche calipers he mentioned will have roughly 70% of the power of your standard S3 brakes when using the standard master cylinder.

The discs are 323mm though, so (323/312) x 100 = 103.5%. SO you get only 70% of the hydraulic power, and just a 3.5% mechanical increase in leverage from the larger discs....

Avoid!!!!!

Exactly what i was after my friend!! Thanks again, I'm slowly learning how to work this out.

So the Leon brakes have 34/38 calipers... So these would be an upgrade?

If the leon brakes were 34 and 38mm pistons, they would in theory have a total piston area of 4083mm^2. So much closer to the standard area.

I thought the LCR pistons were slightly bigger though. My 996 fronts have 36 and 40mm pistons.

It is worth remembering though, that the stiffer caliper also helps, and the larger pad areas, and ability to dissipate heat better than the standard cast iron caliper

Based on the sums above, with the Leon 4 pots having 34 and 38mm pistons, that comes out as 4084?